Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

Is this possible? and if so, how to do it?

9 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

How can I know if my Windows is booted from my SSD or from my HDD

Windows installed on a SSD will boot much faster, you should notice the difference immediately. 

9 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

so now how can I get rid from the windows on the HDD?

Format the HDD.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I recently bought an SSD which is Crucial BX-500 240 GB as I found it 10% cheaper than MX-500 240 GB where I live, but now what I want to do is move my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, but is this possible? And if so, how can I do it? and how much space should I allocate from the SSD for the partition I am going to move windows 10 to? and is BX-500 decent?

3 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

So I recently bought an SSD which is Crucial BX-500 240 GB as I found it 10% cheaper than MX-500 240 GB where I live, but now what I want to do is move my windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD, but is this possible? And if so, how can I do it? and how much space should I allocate from the SSD for the partition I am going to move windows 10 to? and is BX-500 decent?

Should've gotten the mx500. The bx500 is dramless, is slower, has less endurance and less warranty compared to the mx500.

You can clone your windows over to the drive however the partition that windows is on has to contain less data than the target disk. If that requirement is met you can do it with a good variety of software.

The BX500 is not particularly great, for reasons that @jaslion pointed out above, and I personally think you should do a fresh install of Windows.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz CL15 | Intel 660p 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Green 2TB | Corsair RM650x | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout USB-C

Displays: BenQ BL2420PT & Alienware AW2521HF

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue) | Sennheiser Game One

Laptop:  Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2018 - i5-8259U | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD

Given your somewhat troubled history with your current installation, I would also recommend going with a clean install.

It will be slightly more annoying having to re-install your programs, but any issues you had with Windows (which I recall quite a few threads) will be carried over if you decided to try to clone it. Purchasing the DRAMless SSD was not a great choice as others have pointed out. You should make an effort to cancel it and chose the other one. it is absolutely worth the 10%.

31 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Should've gotten the mx500. The bx500 is dramless, is slower, has less endurance and less warranty compared to the mx500.

You can clone your windows over to the drive however the partition that windows is on has to contain less data than the target disk. If that requirement is met you can do it with a good variety of software.

13 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The BX500 is not particularly great, for reasons that @jaslion pointed out above, and I personally think you should do a fresh install of Windows.

How is it slower? it's read is 550 MB/s and write is 500 MB/s for me which is kinda what I am looking for, And I don't really care about 10 MB/s more speed, and what does dramless mean? And I am planning on using that SSD for only 3 years like an average person and SSDs usually last up to 5 years, so I will have no problems, right?

4 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

And I am planning on using that SSD for only 3 years like an average person and SSDs usually last up to 5 years,

Where do you get all your information? Who tells you these things?

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

Where do you get all your information? Who tells you these things?

It's just what I concluded after reading a lot of SSD reviews

10 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

it's read is 550 MB/s and write is 500 MB/s for me which is kinda what I am looking for, And I don't really care about 10 MB/s more speed

Those are the marketed sequential speeds, not representative of actual real-world tasks.

10 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

and what does dramless mean? And I am planning on using that SSD for only 3 years like an average person and SSDs usually last up to 5 years, so I will have no problems, right?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz CL15 | Intel 660p 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Green 2TB | Corsair RM650x | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout USB-C

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue) | Sennheiser Game One

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Those are the marketed sequential speeds, not representative of actual real-world tasks.

So will my SSD be slower that average SSDs? I just bought this SSD, do you suggest me to return it?

Just now, InfinityVive said:

So will my SSD be slower that average SSDs? I just bought this SSD, do you suggest me to return it?

Yes and yes try returning and getting mx500 as  @jaslionrecomended.

5 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

It's not the fastest SSD out there, even if we're just talking about SATA SSDs, but it will still be a huge improvement over a hard drive nonetheless. 

If you have the option to return it and have the money to get a better drive, then I think it would be a good choice.

So I recently bought a Crucial BX 500 SSD (Brand New) that after I bought I found out it was DRAM-less and asked to return it to the shop but they don't accept returning, so my question is, What should I do with that SSD? will it's boot times be just as good as a normal SSD? will it's loading times in games be just like a normal SSD? Is it safe to install my OS (Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Build 1909) on that SSD? and will installing my OS on it make it slower?

Conclusion: Should I make that SSD a Games-only SSD or a games+OS SSD? (I want Games+OS but I don't know if it will make it slower or make it wear out faster)

In my personal experience, dram-less SSDs are not as painful as people say.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

What should I do with that SSD?

Whatever you want. You could use it for your OS, your games, your important documents, etc. It's up to you.

will it's boot times be just as good as a normal SSD?

What do you mean by a "normal SSD"? I'll just assume you're talking about a standard SATA SSD, in which case the answer is yes, they will be just as good as a 'normal SSD'. It'll be a little bit slower, but it's still fast compared to a HDD.

will it's loading times in games be just like a normal SSD? Is it safe to install my OS (Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Build 1909) on that SSD?

Yes and yes.

Despite being dram-less, the BX500 is still a decent SSD. Just because it's dram-less doesn't mean it's a massive pile of crap, or that it's unsafe to put anything on, or that it's going to be extremely slow. It should be fine to use in your PC, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be.

Группа крови - на рукаве
Мой порядковый номер - на рукаве

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (N960F)

CPU: Samsung Exynos 9810

RAM: 6GB

GPU: Mali-G72 MP18

Storage: 128GB internal storage + 128GB Samsung microSD card

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

Just use it for windows + some games if you can't return it. In the other post I just compared it to the mx500 you didn't buy because the bx was a bit cheaper and as to why the mx was the better choice. Doesn't mean this ssd can't be used tho it will just be slower but still faster than a hdd.

So I shouldn't be worried about my SSD? I mean my conscience is mad at me because I bought that SSD and didn't look for an MX500 (it's kinda funny when I say it)

4 minutes ago, XR6 said:

Whatever you want. You could use it for your OS, your games, your important documents, etc. It's up to you.

What do you mean by a "normal SSD"? I'll just assume you're talking about a standard SATA SSD, in which case the answer is yes, they will be just as good as a 'normal SSD'.

Yes and yes.

With normal SSD I mean an average SSD, for example Samsung 850 Evo or Crucial MX 500

The thing that makes an SSD feel faster is not IOPS, sequential reads or writes, cue depths, or any of the other benchmarking nonsense tech reviewers like to publish, it's access times. 

Access times is the time it takes to fetch the data from your storage  device and copy it to DRAM for the CPU to work on. Access times of even the crappiest bottom-of-the-barrel SATA SSDs is about 10x that of even the fastest 15K SAS drive. Use your SSD anyway. It is still faster than a hard drive.

So I shouldn't be worried about my SSD? I mean my conscience is mad at me because I bought that SSD and didn't look for an MX500 (it's kinda funny when I say it)

With normal SSD I mean an average SSD, for example Samsung 850 Evo or Crucial MX 500

It will be like them just slower but good enough.

So I shouldn't be worried about my SSD?

Nope, there's no need to be worried. It's perfectly fine.

Ah, well it'll perform similarly then. It's going to be a little bit slower (you won't notice much of a difference) but it'll still feel much faster than a HDD.

Группа крови - на рукаве
Мой порядковый номер - на рукаве

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (N960F)

CPU: Samsung Exynos 9810

RAM: 6GB

GPU: Mali-G72 MP18

Storage: 128GB internal storage + 128GB Samsung microSD card

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

It will be like them just slower but good enough.

I found someone offering me to exchange that SSD for me to an MX500 for 10$, is it worth it?

I found someone offering me to exchange that SSD for me to an MX500 for 10$, is it worth it?

no, a used drive is never a good idea. you don't know how much it's been used. 

Phone: iPhone 6s | 64GB | iOS

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro | Core i5 3210M | 16GB RAM | 250GB SSD | macOS

PC: Asus Z370-P | Core i3 8100 | R9 290X | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Silverstone RV03 | Windows 10 Insider

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

no, a used drive is never a good idea. you don't know how much it's been used. 

It's not, the person who's offering the exchange is the a helper in a PC parts company near where I live

1 minute ago, InfinityVive said:

It's not, the person who's offering the exchange is the a helper in a PC parts company near where I live

why the actual hell would someone offer that? I don't believe you. 

PC: Asus Z370-P | Core i3 8100 | R9 290X | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Silverstone RV03 | Windows 10 Insider

Just now, Twilight said:

why the actual hell would someone offer that? I don't believe you. 

Because he's my friend, I shared my problem on our what's app group, That's why...

I mean if you were him, and your friend needed help with such thing, and you had the ability to help, wouldn't you try to help?

1 minute ago, InfinityVive said:

Because he's my friend, I shared my problem on our what's app group, That's why...

I mean if you were him, and your friend needed help with such thing, and you had the ability to help, wouldn't you try to help?

the thing is you don't need help. that ssd you got is plenty fast, especially considering you have a 6 year old pc.