RX 480 under-performing? Way worse than ps4 :/

Hello guys! 
I've been following LinusTechTips forums for a long time and finally decided to register.

Thank you for all the help during the years :D

I want to ask some general questions as it seems I'm not so good with understanding computers the way I though I was :D

I was a PC "master race" member my whole life. But at some point I stopped care. (maybe I got old, I don't know). So my PC build is quite old, 2014 old to be exact (except the GPU that a friend of mine gave me) :D Last year I bought PS4 for some cheap price and I just cannot understand how is it possible for the black box to give me better experience in gaming. (I don't want this feeling, I was a PS4 rebel ffs). Yesterday, I wasn't able to sleep of hating this fact. So I decided to make a profile here with you so I can cry on your shoulder.

My PC has the following specs:

• h97 anniversary motherboard
  • i5 4460 + some cheap cooled - blizzard t2 I think.
  • RX480 (8GB)
  • 16 gb ddr 3 memory - a-data 1600mhz
  • 700W PSU - cooler master master b700w
  • ssd 120 gm Kingston and some hdds

My first question is: Is my CPU bottle-necking the GPU? Is not possible for this GPU to be so pathetic. Like, my computer tends to restart when I try to play 3d action game: cod warzone on low-mid graphics (1080p). Some guys on youtube are having the same specs and showing way better results. I have latest win10, latest radeon drivers. 20.2 or so, new thermo-paste, etc,  but my general gaming experience is awful (also 1080 editing is bad). At the same time, the ps black box is showing beautiful views on god of war, mk11, and this just feels strange to me. I believe the gpu's price was kinda same as the whole ps4 when released. I cannot withstand the fact, I need 1000 euro PC to fight 250 euro plastic box. 

My second question is: If I decide to upgrade to r5 3600x should I change the GPU? I like editing a lot and I think of this exact Linus build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_HKRUPN1Mk 

Other question: Should I safe for 3700x (r7)? I could use the price difference for a better monitor but I don't want to sacrifice performance a lot.

At this point I'm afraid to upgrade, because just maybe, the ps4 will continue giving me better experience than r5 3600x and I will really hate this. 
Thank you for letting me cry on your shoulder. 

Be safe guys! 

I come from the same place as you.  I was interested in pc and quit just when the core2duo was released.  My last system was an athlon 64 single core.  Lost interest for about 10 years and I went back in the game not long ago.  My current system is also from the 4th gen intel so I can relate. 

Is your system stable when not gaming ?  I'm not sure about it but I would tend to say that if your computer restart when you play you probably have stability issue or a temperature problem.  Try to monitor your temperature.  I like to use hwinfo for all my monitoring.  Try dusting and cleaning the pc.  If the thermal paste is new on the cpu maybe it's not applied properly.  What case do you have ?  Any fans ?

I don't play cod warzone but one of my friend plays it on pc with his 8700 and 2070 and he told me that it was not that well optimized for pc ... others could confirm or deny it better than me.

Try to see if your cpu or gpu is pinned at 100% when you play.  you can bring the radeon overlay with ctrl + shift + o when you're in game.  If your cpu is sitting at 100% and not your gpu then the performances are limited by your cpu.  if it's the other way around then the gpu is the limiting factor. 

The ryzen will give you better performance and if you keep the rx 480 it now surely will be the bottleneck.  You can try to build you something with pc part picker and see how much it's going for.

I'm not quite good at diagnosing so others will probably be able to help more.  I wish I could help a bit tho. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

5 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

I come from the same place as you.  I was interested in pc and quit just when the core2duo was released.  My last system was an athlon 64 single core.  Lost interest for about 10 years and I went back in the game not long ago.  My current system is also from the 4th gen intel so I can relate. 

Is your system stable when not gaming ?  I'm not sure about it but I would tend to say that if your computer restart when you play you probably have stability issue or a temperature problem.  Try to monitor your temperature.  I like to use hwinfo for all my monitoring.  Try dusting and cleaning the pc.  If the thermal paste is new on the cpu maybe it's not applied properly.  What case do you have ?  Any fans ?

I don't play cod warzone but one of my friend plays it on pc with his 8700 and 2070 and he told me that it was not that well optimized for pc ... others could confirm or deny it better than me.

Try to see if your cpu or gpu is pinned at 100% when you play.  you can bring the radeon overlay with ctrl + shift + o when you're in game.  If your cpu is sitting at 100% and not your gpu then the performances are limited by your cpu.  if it's the other way around then the gpu is the limiting factor. 

The ryzen will give you better performance and if you keep the rx 480 it now surely will be the bottleneck.  You can try to build you something with pc part picker and see how much it's going for.

I'm not quite good at diagnosing so others will probably be able to help more.  I wish I could help a bit tho. 

Thank you a lot for this Dr0y!

Will monitor the temps today and will share the results. The computer is really stable when doing other stuff - premiere pro video editing, sound recording, etc. Computer is cleaner than ever, paste is relatively new but I will consider a new one. If I go for a new one will change all parts. I really liked the r5 editing build in Linus chanel. The case is deepcool tesseract, not a fancy one. I have 2 build in fans and cpu cooler blizard t2. I will try pump them a little since I have some fans external controller which I cannot obviously use well :D Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Dr0y said:

Ok. I believe my GPU is dying. After updating the radeon software to 20.2.2, then going to performance, I saw the numbers. This GPU sits at 80 degrees in neutral. The fun thing is that my previous GPU was r9 270x at it was exactly the same story. At the same time my CPU is chilling at 32 degrees. Damn ATI, time to switch sides I guess

Maybe changing the thermal paste of the gpu could help.  It's probably overdue. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD