PS5, is building a PC viable anymore?

juandeag2k
1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I saw it listed for $35 on launch day 🤷‍♂️

On Steam?  Damn, I wish I had seen that lol.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

Except it doesn't because the costs for shipping, stocking, marketing, customer support and R&D are generally a significant component of the price. Plus they want to turn a profit, not just cover expenses. If they launch at $500 they'll be taking a loss on every console sold for a while. That's not unheard of but it means they'll need to make that money back on game sales and subscription services.

Yes, they take losses on the hardware. They always take losses on the hardware since they expect to come out ahead once you factor in the 30% cut they take in game sales. Nintendo's the only one that care about turning a profit on hardware.

Again we don't know how they were measured, it's possible (even somewhat likely) that they summed up FLOPS at different precision levels or of different parts of the card that are never actually used together. I remember the PS4 was speculated to be much faster than it actually was based on the spec sheet.

Um, PS4's specs released in February 2013 put it a bit above an HD 7850 and surprise that's how it performed.

Uhm yes they are, $10 cheaper across the board at launch with AAA titles.

Oh yeah Steam is so cheap, no $60 games.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/952060/RESIDENT_EVIL_3/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172380/STAR_WARS_Jedi_Fallen_Order/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/814380/Sekiro_Shadows_Die_Twice/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/812140/Assassins_Creed_Odyssey/

Good for you...? Do you also buy physical copies of all your games? What about patches? I'm pretty sure a lot of the game sales and free games on current consoles depend on paying that fee too. I wouldn't be surprised if they bundled even more baseline features in the subscription as time goes on.

What about patches? Do you think consoles put patches behind paywalls? You think I have to pay a subscription fee to buy digital games? That would be a brilliant strategy to make it hard to buy games on your console. And free to play games are free to play online without the subscription service. Not that I care for playing the kind of stuff built around microtransactions.

Except it doesn't unless the compiler is poorly written. Regardless, running in an emulator also means you don't have direct access to the real firmware of the system (unless it's a really bad emulator).

All software has bugs and doesn't have to be poorly written to have them.

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

I saw it listed for $35 on launch day 🤷‍♂️

Are you talking about key resellers like G2A?

On 4/22/2020 at 12:57 PM, kaiju_wars said:

Walmart sells new games, yes, AAA games, for $50 instead of $60.  That's what I usually use.  If I can get Doom Eternal for $40 please let me know where, lol.

Shop around online for games, dunno about eternal but the Christmas after Doom 2016 was launched you could get it new (about 6 months after launch) for like £10. 3rd party titles drop like a stone after a few months (side from yearly releases like CoD and FIFA which don’t really drop on PC anyway and not many people play them. Unless you’re on Nintendo where Zelda preowned is still like £45 from it’s original £50 in 2017 -.- or if you’re an idiot like me buying PS2 games for £20 and N64 games for £60

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?