PS5, is building a PC viable anymore?

juandeag2k

Looking at the specs of the PS5, is this gonna be a generation where building a PC for the same price as a console for comparable performance is impossible?

We don't even know the official price... and we don't know what will be available in the PC space when it will launch.

The specs are also not confirmed afaik.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, juandeag2k said:

Looking at the specs of the PS5, is this gonna be a generation where building a PC for the same price as a console for comparable performance is impossible?

Competing with a console in terms of price to performance has always been difficult, because of economies-of-scale. Consoles sell at such a high volume that manufacturers can get components far cheaper than you could ever buy them and games are usually optimized for the platform giving them better performance on the same hardware.

~edit: Forgot to add that consoles are also sometimes sold at a loss (subsidized by game sales), which gives them an "unfair" advantage in the price category.

The selling point of PCs (to me) is that they are dual use and you can spec them any way you want, which means you can get far superior performance (at a price). It's mass market vs. customized hardware.

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The specs are also not confirmed afaik.

Sony did reveal quite a few specs already: https://www.androidcentral.com/ps5-specs-detailed-mark-cerny

But of course we don't know its price yet and there are no benchmarks so comparing it to any PC right now is difficult.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

23 minutes ago, juandeag2k said:

Well that’s hard to do anyway, when the Xbone X came out you couldn’t match it. 

I’d be going Xbox for this gen though not liking what I’m hearing about the PS5. Significantly less powerful when boosting nevermind at stock and rumours of a possible redesign due to throttling.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

If you just play games and nothing else then consoles are unbeatable vs PCs. There is no contests.

If you like to add mods, play on higher or lower settings, use your system for a wide variety of things etc then a PC it is.

I think it’s a lot like comparing a ride on mower vs a car.

Yes you can ride both but the mower is just for going round a large garden and not going to the shops, driving to another city and much more, carrying other people and much more.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-= Changed/Updated Topic Title =-

I made it appropriate for the conversation...

FYI, we do not allow vs (versus) topics, your title was misleading and would attract the wrong audience to your discussion.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

If you just play games and nothing else then consoles are unbeatable vs PCs. There is no contests.

If you like to add mods, play on higher or lower settings, use your system for a wide variety of things etc then a PC it is.

I think it’s a lot like comparing a ride on mower vs a car.

Yes you can ride both but the mower is just for going round a large garden and not going to the shops, driving to another city and much more, carrying other people and much more.

With the last gen of consoles sure but these new ones look like they could beat high end PCs that cost well north of a grand for a system with an 8 core Zen 2 chip and a GPU better than a 57000XT with 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD and even a 4K blu ray player rolled in.

Just do both. :) If you play shooters I don't see how anyone could choose a console. I personally enjoy keeping my computer up to speed far beyond consoles. The Xbox platform paires nicely with PC. Even with the consoles coming this winter, I doubt they will touch what I already have in a gaming PC. It's like comparing a Ferrari to a 93 Civic.

PS5 Specifications:

Spoiler

142905089_PS5Specs.png.dba2fcd9547cbf2a10c167a4be8e00b5.png

SourceUnveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED] by PlayStation.Blog.

The specs look pretty nice, I suppose? Switching from a HDD (PS4) to an SSD would be pretty sweet for fast boot/loading times too. The whole shebang must cost a pretty penny, though. *stares at the 8-core/16-thread Ryzen and 825 GB SSD*

And, uh, I... I didn't know that AMD had already developed Radeons that supported ray tracing (note that the blog post says, a "custom GPU"). Is this old news that I haven't picked up? 😲

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

15 hours ago, Eschew said:

PS5 Specifications:

Reveal hidden contents

142905089_PS5Specs.png.dba2fcd9547cbf2a10c167a4be8e00b5.png

SourceUnveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED] by PlayStation.Blog.

The specs look pretty nice, I suppose? Switching from a HDD (PS4) to an SSD would be pretty sweet for fast boot/loading times too. The whole shebang must cost a pretty penny, though. *stares at the 8-core/16-thread Ryzen and 825 GB SSD*

And, uh, I... I didn't know that AMD had already developed Radeons that supported ray tracing (note that the blog post says, a "custom GPU"). Is this old news that I haven't picked up? 😲

Based on RDNA2 which hasn't been released yet.

Dunno about price Microsoft has said they will be very competitive and essentially said they'd match or undercut Sony.Console are sold at a loss remember and that's with massive discount for bulk orders. The CPU in the Xbox One was essentially a FX 8150 which retailed at $250

People always look at things around launch time. 

I mean I don't see either system out performing high end systems at similar quality levels. Even mid range machines will still be a slight step up. Now on launch day the price/performance will likely be hard to beat, but then you have a stagnate system so in 6+ months that can drastically change.

Look at the difference in your average gaming pcs power over a 2-3 year period. The difference is normally pretty big. 

A big reason these consoles are going to be so good is they have always used AMD setups and AMD is doing better than ever as far as progressive tech. In previous gens they took a pretty big backseat to nvidia and Intel. 

On 4/8/2020 at 7:36 PM, Lord Vile said:

I’d be going Xbox for this gen though not liking what I’m hearing about the PS5. Significantly less powerful when boosting nevermind at stock and rumours of a possible redesign due to throttling.

It has a slight advantage in raw power but is at a disadvantage in other areas, there is no clear winner yet.

In addition to this, Playstation 5 will have The Last of Us II, God of War 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Spiderman 2 etc etc.  What does the new Xbox have that i can't just play on my gaming PC anyway?  Nothing.

3 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

It has a slight advantage in raw power but is at a disadvantage in other areas, there is no clear winner yet.

In addition to this, Playstation 5 will have The Last of Us II, God of War 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Spiderman 2 etc etc.  What does the new Xbox have that i can't just play on my gaming PC anyway?  Nothing.

I for one frown on these console specific exclusives. So if you want to increase my chance of not purchasing your system... shove those at me.

That is the one big upside to xbox. The underlining OS is very similar to your windows 10 machines. So a developer can release on both platforms with very minimal work... this isn't even looking at things like xbox play anywhere cross platform titles.

Now all xbox needs to do is launch with mouse/kb support and a light version of windows 10. If your xbox can replace a desktop computer for your average person and be used from the comfort of their living room.... ya going to be a hard sell for ps5. Plus this is something that would not be hard at all for xbox to do. The question is would they.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

I for one frown on these console specific exclusives.

It really depends, i like that Sony spent the time and money to focus on single player narrative driven games this generation when nobody else wanted anything to do with them, it paid off well and i think that they earned the right to hold onto those games for their own install base.  The exclusivity deals i hate are the ones where X company pays Y company big money to keep their game away from the competition, people who do that can go and get fucked. 

7 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

It has a massive advantage. It’s around 20% faster when the PS5 is boosting which it won’t be most of the time. Rumours are that devs hate it due to it throttling and don’t are considering a complete redesign. 

Personally not a fan of any of those. Just overhyped. Spider-Man for example was just a meh Arkham game. 

Yes, building a PC is still viable. Sure us consumers have been getting price f'ed by Nvidia/Intel etc buut the PC itself has a great platform and I think it would take a while for people to give up on PC and switch to console. The PC platform is fine but we are definitely hurting from getting ripped off all the time.

For context, I bought a GTX 980 EVGA Superclocked SC 2.0 for around £500 brand new maybe 6 months after release - at the time this was the best thing you could purchase apart from a titan etc. The equivalent purchase today is a RTX 2080 ti which is around £1100.. Even if I bump it down to the RTX 2080 that's still £600+ for a card that released in 2018. It's hard to believe manufacturing costs have gone up enough to justify these prices.. Console manufacturers are clearly getting a good deal, lets hope AMD can offer us something good instead of slightly undercutting Nvidia lol.

(sorry about going offtopic but I'm so mad lol)

On 4/8/2020 at 3:06 PM, Lord Vile said:

Well that’s hard to do anyway, when the Xbone X came out you couldn’t match it. 

Well I agree with your point.

I may be wrong n usually I'm but if  we talk about console   what really matter is exclusives not specs.

25 minutes ago, Ayush007 said:

Well I agree with your point.

I may be wrong n usually I'm but if  we talk about console   what really matter is exclusives not specs.

3rd party support and out of the gate performance too. Think about it you can get Xbox Live and game pass on the Xbox and never have to actually buy a game plus better specs etc. The reason don’t win this gen was Microsoft being stupid with the always on thing, worse performance and the Kinect bumping the price up by £100.

Don’t think Sony has any good exclusives tbh, they’re not Nintendo, 3rd party options are just better and Microsoft has a new halo coming up. Why would I play Spider-Man when I have the Arkham games for example. 

8 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Don’t think Sony has any good exclusives tbh

Well, you're pretty much alone in that because anyone who knows anything about the industry knows that Sony crushed it this generation largely because of their amazing lineup of exclusives, you may not like them but there's a 100 million strong install base that thinks differently.  You come off like a hardline Xbox fan who's anti-Sony at every level. 

6 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

Well, you're pretty much alone in that because anyone who knows anything about the industry knows that Sony crushed it this generation largely because of their amazing lineup of exclusives, you may not like them but there's a 100 million strong install base that thinks differently.  You come off like a hardline Xbox fan who's anti-Sony at every level. 

Had a PS3 and 360, skiped three Xbone and PS4 for a PC, played the consoles over at family’s and exclusives wise they just don’t have anything better than what’s offered 3rd party. I’d take DMCV over god of war, Batman over Spider-Man, Tomb raider of uncharted etc etc. 

They won this gen because Xbox made horrible decisions at launch and once a mate has a PS4 you get that too. Simple as. 

Only console worth buying for exclusives is Nintendo because they’re the only dev who can launch 2 games in a year that are the best in their genre and of all time. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

They won this gen because Xbox made horrible decisions at launch and once a mate has a PS4 you get that too. Simple as. 

This played a role initially but i can't understand why you refuse to acknowledge that Sony's exclusives have been a fucking huge hit this generation, you personally may not like them but it's just common knowledge that they played a large role this generation. 

8 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

This played a role initially but i can't understand why you refuse to acknowledge that Sony's exclusives have been a fucking huge hit this generation, you personally may not like them but it's just common knowledge that they played a large role this generation. 

Because they didn’t? People assume they did but most of the “hits” came out well after the console hit 50 million hell spiderman didn’t come out until 80 million. If you look at the sales chart it’s fairly steady no big release makes a dent in sales. It spikes up Nov/Dec every year and keeps that trajectory until the next year. It’s not like the switch where animal crossing caused the damn thing to sell out everywhere.

6 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

3rd party support and out of the gate performance too. Think about it you can get Xbox Live and game pass on the Xbox and never have to actually buy a game plus better specs etc. The reason don’t win this gen was Microsoft being stupid with the always on thing, worse performance and the Kinect bumping the price up by £100.

Don’t think Sony has any good exclusives tbh, they’re not Nintendo, 3rd party options are just better and Microsoft has a new halo coming up. Why would I play Spider-Man when I have the Arkham games for example. 

Sure like rdr2 xbox one x was best option to play on 4k .

Well it was just my point of view 

, acc to me people buy console only for two reasons 

1. Those who can't afford high end pc , sure they will like series  X (high end at low budget)

2. Exclusives , in fact sony exclusive  have won GOTY like God Of War .

1 minute ago, Ayush007 said:

Sure like rdr2 xbox one x was best option to play on 4k .

Well it was just my point of view 

, acc to me people buy console only for two reasons 

1. Those who can't afford high end pc , sure they will like series  X (high end at low budget)

2. Exclusives , in fact sony exclusive  have won GOTY like God Of War .

40 minutes ago, Ayush007 said:

You know there are like 100 GOTYs right? Doesn’t even have to be any good. There are much better games than God of War in the same genre. It’s actually kinda boring.