Upgrading for better performance in Path of Exile

Cev

Hey all,

I currently run an i5-7600k @ 4.6GHz and a GTX 1070 FTW with one monitor. They've served me very well with everything I've thrown at them over the last couple years, but recently I've been getting back into Path of Exile and I've been experiencing drops in performance (I have to run the game on the lowest possible settings to avoid frame lag when clearing large groups of enemies). I'm considering upgrading to an RTX 2070 & i5-9600k, but I'm not sure if it's worth the investment. My main concern is that Path of Exile is a bit notorious for not being well optimized, and I'd prefer not to invest a thousand dollars into something that won't bring me any significant improvement.

If anyone has experience running Path of Exile and has any advice on what I should look for, or if this is worth the investment at all, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

This is my entire current PC if it helps: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Cev/saved/#view=zJRwP6

1 minute ago, ki8aras said:

what do u mean when u say poe?

power-over-ethernet??

Sorry, by poe I was referring to path of exile. I'll edit my OP to clarify.

Getting a Ryzen based system would be a better idea. Other than that, the GPU will provide a significant performance increase when compared to your current build.

i would try to overclock the cpu, make sure ram has xmp enabled and monitor temperatures and utilisations in POE to see what is limiting your performance and causing frame drops. upgrading to another i5 (no hyperthreading) is not a great idea and wouldn't bring more performance.

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

i would try to overclock the cpu, make sure ram has xmp enabled and monitor temperatures and utilisations in POE to see what is limiting your performance and causing frame drops. upgrading to another i5 (no hyperthreading) is not a great idea and wouldn't bring more performance.

The 9600k has 2 more cores than the 7600k, and he already overclocked his current i5.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W