GPU heat affecting the PCI-E slot??

daddrian

I'm using a GTX 470, it gets to 93*C when playing games (literally all day) and sounds like a hair dryer. While playing World of Tanks, I randomly thought, could the GPU's 93*c heat, cause damage to the pci-e slot after long time use? The slot is right below the GPU, and I think that 93*C might damage the slot after some time 🤔🤔 I'm more concerned about the motherboard than the gpu 🤣

3 minutes ago, Adrian98765 said:

I'm using a GTX 470, it gets to 93*C when playing games (literally all day) and sounds like a hair dryer.

While playing World of Tanks, I randomly thought, could the GPU's 93*c heat, cause damage to the pci-e slot after long time use? The slot is right below the GPU, and I think that 93*C might damage the slot after some time 🤔🤔

That temps are really high tbh, I would be concerned about them. Try to change the thermal paste on the gpu, it’s not the newest card now so the old thermal paste may not work properly now what may cause such high temps

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

93 C is definitely warm but it shouldn't really mess up the slot. I'd see about getting better cooling if i were you

hey, at 93C it may throttle itself down to avoid overheating (to check if it throttles or no you can open up some monitoring tool like msi afterburner which will report core clock on the live graph, not in numbers which you can modify, as well as if it's simply always 93& very occasionally goes to 94 & then back to 93 then it's definitely throttling) , and i would say constant 93C is bad, you reduce your gaming performance by a lot and spawn not wanted stutters from time to time, you have a couple of options to reduce that temperature down (also your pcie slot should be fine)

1. open up your case, extra airflow will help reduce the heat

2. add a couple of case fans as exhaust to remove the hot air from the case

3. replacing thermal paste

4. add some small fan right next to the gpu's side which have no fan, so that small fan will blow air on it and cool it down

5. open up your case & use pcie extension cable so that your gpu will be more close to cold air rather than being all the way down in the case where is little airflow

6. setup fan speed at 100% always but it most likely will not help alone

7. underclock & undervolt gpu a bit so that it will never reach throttling point and will provide you with better gaming experience, stable one, without any possible stutters

gl

On 4/8/2020 at 12:44 PM, YaroslavZvyagin said:

hey, at 93C it may throttle itself down to avoid overheating (to check if it throttles or no you can open up some monitoring tool like msi afterburner which will report core clock on the live graph, not in numbers which you can modify, as well as if it's simply always 93& very occasionally goes to 94 & then back to 93 then it's definitely throttling) , and i would say constant 93C is bad, you reduce your gaming performance by a lot and spawn not wanted stutters from time to time, you have a couple of options to reduce that temperature down (also your pcie slot should be fine)

1. open up your case, extra airflow will help reduce the heat

2. add a couple of case fans as exhaust to remove the hot air from the case

3. replacing thermal paste

4. add some small fan right next to the gpu's side which have no fan, so that small fan will blow air on it and cool it down

5. open up your case & use pcie extension cable so that your gpu will be more close to cold air rather than being all the way down in the case where is little airflow

6. setup fan speed at 100% always but it most likely will not help alone

7. underclock & undervolt gpu a bit so that it will never reach throttling point and will provide you with better gaming experience, stable one, without any possible stutters

gl

I understand your concern and tips, but 93*C for a 470 is fine. I've been reading about 470 and 480. They are meant to run hot, and their throttling temperature is 105*C. A review of the 470 from 2010 showed that their 470 had 93*C like mine, and multiple people reported temperatures in the 90's with the blower cooling. I read (and was kinda funny) that someone had 2 fans blowing at a 470, and temperatures were the same in the 90's. I've also saw an nVidia interview about the 470, and someone from nVidia said that they're safe to run up until 105*C, and even at the maximum temperature they're expected to last for a couple of years. I don't think you're familiarised with old GPUs to know how durable some of them are to heat, I've had a 8800GT with a very small fan which used to get to 100*C in Crysis. This was the first version of the cooling, nVidia ordered all cards back from markets due to people being unhappy with the temps, and released the second version with a bigger fan. But still, that 8800GT would still work, but after some time I decided to mess with the GPU and accidentally installed a wrong bios. Card's bricked and didn't bothered to fix it. I had a 9600GT for replacement.

18 hours ago, Adrian98765 said:

I understand your concern and tips, but 93*C for a 470 is fine. I've been reading about 470 and 480. They are meant to run hot, and their throttling temperature is 105*C. A review of the 470 from 2010 showed that their 470 had 93*C like mine, and multiple people reported temperatures in the 90's with the blower cooling. I read (and was kinda funny) that someone had 2 fans blowing at a 470, and temperatures were the same in the 90's. I've also saw an nVidia interview about the 470, and someone from nVidia said that they're safe to run up until 105*C, and even at the maximum temperature they're expected to last for a couple of years. I don't think you're familiarised with old GPUs to know how durable some of them are to heat, I've had a 8800GT with a very small fan which used to get to 100*C in Crysis. This was the first version of the cooling, nVidia ordered all cards back from markets due to people being unhappy with the temps, and released the second version with a bigger fan. But still, that 8800GT would still work, but after some time I decided to mess with the GPU and accidentally installed a wrong bios. Card's bricked and didn't bothered to fix it. I had a 9600GT for replacement.

hey, i had a custom flashed 9800 GT from gigabyte, i made it stronger than an overclocked 9800gtx+, and it artifacted always whenever it exceeded 70s range(even on stock), solution was to raise the fan speed to the max, by that i mean that i am well enough familiar to old gpus, i also have ~7200 gt or around that number but it means nothing, flashed 9800 gt never died btw, sold the pc with it in around 2017, but that doesn't mean that it can't die, it just means that it got lucky, i am subscribed to one channel with bunch of old gpus reviews and most do die, most of 400 series didn't made it till today because of their heat issues.

yes i saw that another forum even before i wrote my advice to you here, from a guy claiming that his gtx 470 was also at 93c which is rather strange that it's such a coincidence for you and him, very very big coincidence unless it just throttles at that point

105C safe can mean the shutdown of PC point, and not the start of the throttling(yes, card can have different throttling point & shutdown point, that is configured via bios), please follow the advice which i provided & check whether the card throttles or not via msi afterburner + rivatuner statistics server(if it throttles, you know what to do, if it doesn't, you can think of what to do), lastly, focus on your hardware please - that's your thread, not mine, if you just decided to live with it then you can ask some mod to close the thread despite 3 people's exactly same advice aka - try to cool it better, have a nice day :)

hey again, i made the job for you so you can rest assured that your card does Not throttle :), (more info in a spoiler), my advice obviously still stays the same as the other 2 users here i believe, i already wrote lots of possible solutions so just take a look on them, have a nice day :)

Spoiler