Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JackalJ

Could use some help with choosing new phone

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, I do realize that this forum gets swamped with topics like this. whether it's for new phones, laptops, video cards or CPU's... Or basically anything electronic.

At the moment I am using my Iphone 8. I have noticed my battery slowly degrading. From having 50-60% charge at the end of the day that I once enjoyed. To it dying at the end of a work day.
So I could replace the battery or I could buy a new phone. Which I actually want to do. Because hey, its nice to treat yourself sometimes and I actually want a new phone.
Getting a new Iphone would be ideal. Since i know how everything works, I keep any saved files, I could keep using AppleCarplay since Android Auto doesn't work in my country (I need to download it through APKmirror and do that everytime they update it.) and I pretty much only have positive experiences with Apple's phones so far.
I haven't touched android in years... I switched over at the iphone 5s which was around 2013. So I have no idea how it's evolved. But there are many android phones and i'm not sure if 'just' going for Samsungs S20 range would be the best choice for the amount of money. 

So I want to ask for help. Which phones are worth their money, or justify their big price point. I don't want to spend money on a phone only to discover later that there was a 'better' phone available at the time, similarly priced.
I don't want to spend 1500 euro's on a phone. The regular iphone 11 goes for 900 euro. Which I want to make my max of my budget.
And for that amount of money there are a lot of phones available.

Things I want from a phone.
Preferably a headphone jack, which is wishful thinking. Or atleast a way of to plug in earbuds through an adapter.
Ability to make good photo's.
Good battery life.
Good screen.
Nothing too big.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, 900eur is too expensive for an iphone 11, if you can find une under 700usd it would be a good deal. You arent going to find a good midrange- flagship phone with a small screen except the iphones. I think that LG V60 is a pretty good choice at 700eur with a sd865 (fastest android chipset, but slower in some cases than in iphone 11). If you want something more quirky i would say go for the red magic 5g. But what i would suggest you most is to wait and see what oneplus is gonna offer this year.


Budget build
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
iGPU: Vega 11
Ram: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666mhz dual channel
MB: Gigabyte ga-a320m s2h v2
SSD: Crucial 240GB
PSU: Cheap 500W
Case: Cougar MX330-G

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Maybe the iPhone 9 when it comes out or the iPhone 12 whenever it arrives

The iphone 9 doesnt seem promising to me at that price point. Big bezzels, low resolution lcd screen, 3.5mm jack very likely wont be there, a lightning port with no fast charging in the box, a single camera module. The only thing that "saves" it is the a13 chip.


Budget build
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
iGPU: Vega 11
Ram: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666mhz dual channel
MB: Gigabyte ga-a320m s2h v2
SSD: Crucial 240GB
PSU: Cheap 500W
Case: Cougar MX330-G

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EL02 said:

The iphone 9 doesnt seem promising to me at that price point. Big bezzels, low resolution lcd screen, 3.5mm jack very likely wont be there, a lightning port with no fast charging in the box, a single camera module. The only thing that "saves" it is the a13 chip.

Then get the 12. You don't need more than one camera anyways and often stuff like a zoom lens is worse than digital zoom. The Xr has one camera but it was one of the best phone cameras when it released.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Daniel Z. said:

Then get the 12. You don't need more than one camera anyways and often stuff like a zoom lens is worse than digital zoom. The Xr has one camera but it was one of the best phone cameras when it released.

The pixel 3a has one of the best cameras too, but having a good ultra wide camera is still a good addition.


Budget build
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
iGPU: Vega 11
Ram: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666mhz dual channel
MB: Gigabyte ga-a320m s2h v2
SSD: Crucial 240GB
PSU: Cheap 500W
Case: Cougar MX330-G

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess if you're looking for an iPhone on a budget, you obviously have very little choice, you could wait for the iPhone SE (2020) to come out. Which is apparently soon. It almost certainly won't have a headphone jack, but it'll have a small screen, probably okay battery, and it'll be fast. Apple also does well with cameras too, so I wouldn't worry.

 

The thing about Android phones is, that they've changed a lot over the years. Unless you want a phone with a certain gimmick, or you want the absolute best camera, or you're a flagship snob, there's little reason to spend over £400 on an android phone imo. The problems of inferior apps and badly optimised OSs that have plagued Android since the early days up until fairly recently are largely gone. I also used to be a massive snob for flagship class phones and I always used them until my most recent purchase to a Nokia 8.1( I had a HTC Desire HD, Samsung S3, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z3, Xperia XZ, Nokia 8 Scirocco). These days though, after I switched to a budget-midrange device I noticed that the SD 710 in my phone is more than fast enough for everything I do, the phone actually feels snappier a year later than any of my older flagships ever did after a month. The camera is pretty good, the copper frame makes the phone feel and look special, stock android OS updates are guaranteed for 2 years (which is amazing), and the lower power chipset means I get around 50 hours of battery life (well, I used to before I CBT'd the battery for a year. I measured the rough capacity with a portapow a few days ago, since my phone now only lasts for a day and a bit, and I've lost 1400Mah+ of capacity lol). Mind you, I don't do anything particularly heavy on my phone.


REMILIA Mk.IIIB: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240, RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: PowerColor RX5700 Dual 8G & Gigabyte GTX 950 2GB G1 Gaming, Storage: 512gb Silicon Power A80 NVME SSD, 512gb Kingspec "Halloween 2019 Special Edition" meme SSD, 512gb Hectron SSD, 6 hard drives of varying brand and age, PSU: Aerocool Project 7 P750, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Monitors: Samsung C27FG70 (144hz Quantum dot, Freesync, pneumatic stand), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands), Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220, Fosi Audio Q5 DAC/AMP, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Creative Sound Blaster X G1, Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset), Philips Fidelio X2HR (with thicc Chinese lambskin pads), Takstar Pro82, a literal pile of chi-fi IEMs, Anker Soundcore Pro+, Mouse: Razer Basilisk, Keyboard: Ajazz AK60 modded with Kailh Box Navys

 

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JackalJ said:

Preferably a headphone jack, which is wishful thinking. 

So do you want a headphone jack or not? You are the one with the money. Everyone wants your money. You get to make demands.

 

3 hours ago, JackalJ said:

Nothing too big.

How big is too big?

 

Also have you tried resetting your phone to see if that helps restore endurance? What is your usage pattern like?


Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

 

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

First of all, thanks for the replies.

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

So do you want a headphone jack or not? You are the one with the money. Everyone wants your money. You get to make demands.

 

How big is too big?

 

Also have you tried resetting your phone to see if that helps restore endurance? What is your usage pattern like?


a headphone jack is a big plus. Otherwise an adapter will work just fine.

 

Too big are note’s and pro max and ultra’s. But that’s where the bigger batteries and better camera’s are.

 

Maybe I’ll wait till the OnePlus 8 reviews are out. Or until the pixel 5 details are out.

I’m afraid I’m a flagship snob 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 9:37 PM, JackalJ said:

Hi, I do realize that this forum gets swamped with topics like this. whether it's for new phones, laptops, video cards or CPU's... Or basically anything electronic.

At the moment I am using my Iphone 8. I have noticed my battery slowly degrading. From having 50-60% charge at the end of the day that I once enjoyed. To it dying at the end of a work day.
So I could replace the battery or I could buy a new phone. Which I actually want to do. Because hey, its nice to treat yourself sometimes and I actually want a new phone.
Getting a new Iphone would be ideal. Since i know how everything works, I keep any saved files, I could keep using AppleCarplay since Android Auto doesn't work in my country (I need to download it through APKmirror and do that everytime they update it.) and I pretty much only have positive experiences with Apple's phones so far.
I haven't touched android in years... I switched over at the iphone 5s which was around 2013. So I have no idea how it's evolved. But there are many android phones and i'm not sure if 'just' going for Samsungs S20 range would be the best choice for the amount of money. 

So I want to ask for help. Which phones are worth their money, or justify their big price point. I don't want to spend money on a phone only to discover later that there was a 'better' phone available at the time, similarly priced.
I don't want to spend 1500 euro's on a phone. The regular iphone 11 goes for 900 euro. Which I want to make my max of my budget.
And for that amount of money there are a lot of phones available.

Things I want from a phone.
Preferably a headphone jack, which is wishful thinking. Or atleast a way of to plug in earbuds through an adapter.
Ability to make good photo's.
Good battery life.
Good screen.
Nothing too big.

What storage is the 11 for 900 euro? I'd look at the 11 or the XR. The 11 is essentially the same as the XR but with better battery, camera and SoC, though the XR is no slouch in those areas anyway. The only things that are missing from the 11 compared to the 11 pro s the 2x zoom lens which personally I can take or leave especially as you still have the wide angle lens on both the 11 and Pro (not the XR), an OLED screen with smaller bezels though you won't notice unless you have them side to side playing HDR content and the heft as the Pro has a steel border vs the 11's aluminium. 

 

 

Also the iPhone 11 Pro is smaller than the 11. (5.8" for the pro vs 6.1" for the 11 and 6.5" for the Max) but the camera setup is exactly the same on the pro models. battery life goes for 20 hours to 17 with the size too but 17 hours is still an all day battery. 

 

Oh and the pro comes with an 18W fast charger the 11 comes with the standard 5W which is a tad pathetic tbh but a bigger adapter isn't expensive.


Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 4/9/2020 at 12:15 AM, Lord Vile said:

What storage is the 11 for 900 euro? I'd look at the 11 or the XR. The 11 is essentially the same as the XR but with better battery, camera and SoC, though the XR is no slouch in those areas anyway. The only things that are missing from the 11 compared to the 11 pro s the 2x zoom lens which personally I can take or leave especially as you still have the wide angle lens on both the 11 and Pro (not the XR), an OLED screen with smaller bezels though you won't notice unless you have them side to side playing HDR content and the heft as the Pro has a steel border vs the 11's aluminium. 

 

 

Also the iPhone 11 Pro is smaller than the 11. (5.8" for the pro vs 6.1" for the 11 and 6.5" for the Max) but the camera setup is exactly the same on the pro models. battery life goes for 20 hours to 17 with the size too but 17 hours is still an all day battery. 

 

Oh and the pro comes with an 18W fast charger the 11 comes with the standard 5W which is a tad pathetic tbh but a bigger adapter isn't expensive.
 

So basically the 11 pro isn't worth the extra money? And I could just buy an 18W fast charger on the internet and it works with the 11?

 

Although I do really like the Midnight green color of the pro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JackalJ said:

So basically the 11 pro isn't worth the extra money? And I could just buy an 18W fast charger on the internet and it works with the 11?

 

Although I do really like the Midnight green color of the pro.

Depends. I have the Pro just for clarity and the midnight green is a lot more grey than green, I still like it but it's not like the photos. I like the smaller size vs my XR (which my fiancee has now replacing her 8) even though it's only 0.3" smaller. The stainless steel border feels nicer and you get 2x zoom which might be nice for the maybe 2 times a month I'll use it. Screen is good if you watch HDR content but on a 6" display I doubt it'd be a game changer for you. Ultimately I don't thing the Pro is worth the extra Monet considering the model you want is the 256GB version as they don't do a 128GB version is £1200 and the 128GB 11 is £780 so like £420 there. Plus you can get the iPhone 11 in red which is great. Will say if you get an 11 go for red or black if reselling is a concern as they tend to sell for like £50 more than the other colours because they're the ones most people want. 

 

The pro is the better phone but its not £400 better if you get my point? Like the S20 Ultra is a better phone than the S20 but not £300 better. Also side note I've just remembered why I hate samsung. It's 200 cheaper in the UK vs the US and that's because it's not a snapdragon here it's the the exynos? 990 which is significantly worse but on both spec pages it just says "8 core processor", sneaky sneaky. 


Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×