Please don't buy a Galaxy S20 Ultra.

James

Buy Samsung S20 Ultra:

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/RUAx

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/oJpSqzV

On BHPhoto (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/hJyvDr

The Samsung S20 Ultra is one of the most feature-rich smartphones on the market – just compare it to the iPhone 11 Pro or Google Pixel 4XL. But do I think it’s the best?

"I know this title concept has been done to death, but I have actually never done it."

This is the thumbnail, not the title.. but that's close enough to this title, right :P

image.thumb.png.44c8fae6249969d13b844d5c83ac21da.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I have the s10+ 1TB, I was very disappointed they didn't come out with a 1 TB version of the phone. I know a lot of people will say I don't need a 1 tb version as I can get a 512 SD card and put it into the phone. Well in my experience sd cards fail and often. I use my phone for making videos,  editing videos, emulators and I use dex a lot. For me the only appeal was the camera and considering cellular networks limit streaming quality making an 8k video would be pretty useless. 108mp sounds good but honestly I like this phone more than the s20 ultra.

The Samsung S20 Ultra is one of the most feature-rich smartphones on the market – just compare it to the iPhone 11 Pro or Google Pixel 4XL. But do I think it’s the best?

Top-end stuff is VERY rarely worth it. Also, there's absolutely no way I'd personally spend anywhere near that much on a phone.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, Milkcartonkid said:

I was very disappointed they didn't come out with a 1 TB version of the phone

We're on the opposite ends of the spectrum: I'd get by perfectly well with just 16GB and no SD-cards or anything!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

screenshot.png.d181303983000763ea22e35004db2ff9.png

🤔

*HINT*   

PAID LINK

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Feels like samsung is getting tired and/or bored recently...

Kind of a shame when, notch witholding, samsung isn't able to play ball with a phone thats nearing on a year old. They had every opportunity to buy an iPhone 11 Pro max, find out what makes people buy iPhones, and innovate upon it all while not carrying over the things even devout iOS users hate.

Just make an android phone that competes with the iPhone on price, video taking quality, and integration. Samsung, you are the PERFECT manufacturer for this! You already have a desktop environment that you can make a lapdock for to buy over the Macbook Air customers, you already sell smart watches, true wireless earbuds... Its all there in front of you and you just added a bad version of a feature that chinese companies beat you to a year or two ago, and connectivity standards that arent in place yet even in your home country.

I wouldnt even buy it if all that came true, i am very happy with iOS for all its flaws and could not give macOS up even if i wanted to. But samsung would give so many people a reason to switch over to or back to android it isnt even funny.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

is it me or the video has a hissing sound?

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

We're on the opposite ends of the spectrum: I'd get by perfectly well with just 16GB and no SD-cards or anything!

The only reason I use more than 16gbs is Apples useless pre installed apps

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

how? I have like 50gb of music on my phone, 10gb of pictures and video and like 20gb of apps. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

how?

Different uses. I'm a photographer for example. I never use the camera built in to the phone, it can't compare to the one I carry with me normally.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Twilight said:

how? I have like 50gb of music on my phone, 10gb of pictures and video and like 20gb of apps. 

Yeah, most android phones die on 16 gb (use to be 8, but I'd rarely risk 16 without a memory card unless you *only* use it for phone calls and wattsapp).

43 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Yeah, most android phones die on 16 gb (use to be 8, but I'd rarely risk 16 without a memory card unless you *only* use it for phone calls and wattsapp).

my spare phone is an LG G3 with LineageOS installed, and I struggle to fit the OS and my most used apps on that 16gb, never mind music and photos

She/Her

Linus on watching movies on a phone:

"... but not everybody has the income or lifestyle to..."

*reviews $1500+  phone...

😛

Personally, I don't care whether he covers movie watching in phone reviews or not. But please, let's start a campaign of pretending phone speakers don't exist. I know they were be valid use cases, but until people learn to be civil in public spaces we'll have to consider some way o force or trick people into headphone-only use...

2 hours ago, minibois said:

"I know this title concept has been done to death, but I have actually never done it."

This is the thumbnail, not the title.. but that's close enough to this title, right :P

image.thumb.png.44c8fae6249969d13b844d5c83ac21da.png

Title-wise, there's also the "high wattage power supplies are stupid" or something along those lines.

3 hours ago, Twilight said:

I don't carry any music on my phone, I don't take pictures or videos, I don't play any mobile games and I only have a smallish selection of apps I use on it. I'm not a social butterfly, so I don't need a billion different chat-apps and social-networking apps, for example. What I have installed is mostly productivity-/power-user stuff, which doesn't take that much space.

not everybody has the income or lifestyle to allow them to settle down for 2 hours on the couch

Me neither, which is why I watch movies on my PC.

20 hours ago, Twilight said:

For music, streaming is much more popular than local storage nowadays. I'm not saying that's the better option - it isn't. But it is popular, making this point, uh, pointless for a lot of people

For pictures, honestly, a phone is a crappy place for picture storage. It's just an inferior device for searching, viewing, editing or managing your photo archive compared to pretty much anything else. Personally, I copy my photos over to pc + external backup every time I accumulate a few dozen of them, and delete the originals, despite having more than half of my storage free. Makes life much easier.

Apps are just too much dependent on personal usecase to even discuss. Some people need tens of gigabytes of them, others use less than one. That's why we have different options on the market I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 minutes ago, Yebi said:

For music, streaming is much more popular than local storage nowadays. I'm not saying that's the better option - it isn't. But it is popular, making this point, uh, pointless for a lot of people

I use Spotify, but I have a lot of music saved since I go for long walks every day, so I use the offline listening feature that downloads the songs to your device. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, Twilight said:

I use Spotify, but I have a lot of music saved since I go for long walks every day, so I use the offline listening feature that downloads the songs to your device. 

Fair enough. I live in a place with cheap 4G, so the offline mode of Spotify doesn't come up very often 🙃

5 minutes ago, Yebi said:

Fair enough. I live in a place with cheap 4G, so the offline mode of Spotify doesn't come up very often 🙃

I have 4gb of data, and I almost never use all of it, but running out is super annoying, and I have a 128gb phone so why not download the music I most often listen to. 

She/Her

Are there any snapdragon 865 phones with a pop-up selfie camera? I don't want a punch hole camera or teardrop that is as if the screen has dead pixels.

I only found the redmi K30 Pro, but it is not compatible with networks in the USA.  So, probably will get a snapdragon 855 OnePlus unless the market surprises me.

I thought pop-up selfie cameras were reliable and durable what happened.

On 4/7/2020 at 1:44 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Different uses. I'm a photographer for example. I never use the camera built in to the phone, it can't compare to the one I carry with me normally.

While I don’t tend to use my phone camera much, I often import RAWs for editing on my phone. Combined with locally stored media, 64 GB was proving quite cramped. 128 GB seems to be a good spot for awhile though. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…