Laptop Battery Replacement

Hi all,

I bought my acer swift 5 about 9 month ago. But the battery is already showing 38% wear on HWmonitor and it's no longer getting me through a day. In theory it should be covered under warranty, but I don't have time to send it away as I need it daily. I decided to replace it myself, I would go OEM but I couldn't find any replacement (Ap16l5j), the one in my is made by panasonic, anyone know where to get this?

I also tried to find third party ones, but the only ones I could find are made by this manufacture: 斯丹达(重庆)SiDanDa (ChongQing). I've never heard of this company but they seems to be pretty big. Anyone who had experience with this company?

What are the risks associated with third party batteries? ( Only articles I can find are written in the era of removable batteries, and the OEM are still selling replacements. But that's no longer the case.

p.s I live in Germany, if you know any reputable local retailers, please let me know.

Any answer is appreciated.

46 minutes ago, Jingtian Wang said:

Hi all,

I bought my acer swift 5 about 9 month ago. But the battery is already showing 38% wear on HWmonitor and it's no longer getting me through a day. In theory it should be covered under warranty, but I don't have time to send it away as I need it daily. I decided to replace it myself, I would go OEM but I couldn't find any replacement (Ap16l5j)

contact acer, ask them to send a new battery, because that's not normal. 

She/Her

56 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Contact Acer support and ask to buy one - don't buy cheap knock-offs - an unbalanced battery can explode.

given it is under a year that should be covered by them.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

given it is under a year that should be covered by them.

Not always - battery warranty is usually 6 months, in some cases 1 year. But in most cases it's a 6-month warranty.

Just now, 5x5 said:

Not always - battery warranty is usually 6 months, in some cases 1 year. But in most cases it's a 6-month warranty.

their battery policy. which means it may not be covered because acer doesn't care about capacity.

Spoiler

The term of this Limited Warranty (the “Limited Warranty Period”) is identified in the reference table included with this Agreement (“Warranty Reference Table”)and shall apply to all Products with the exception of lamps purchased with projectors.If You have purchased a projector, the lamp is warranted for a period of ninety (90) days. If You have purchased a Product that includes a rechargeable battery, Acer warrants that the battery will be free from defects in material and workmanship for the shorter of (a) the period set forth in the Warranty Reference Table or (b) one (1) year from the date of purchase of the Product that uses the battery. As with all batteries, the maximum capacity of the battery included in the Product will decrease with time or use. The battery warranty does not cover changes in battery capacity. Your battery is only warranted from defects in materials or workmanship resulting in failure. Battery life is not warranted and will vary depending on Product configuration and usage including, but not limited to Product model, applications running, power management settings, and Product features. The Limited Warranty Period commences on the date of purchaseby You. Your original purchase invoice (sales receipt) showing the date of purchase of the Product is your proof of the date of purchas

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, Jingtian Wang said:

Hi all,

I bought my acer swift 5 about 9 month ago. But the battery is already showing 38% wear on HWmonitor and it's no longer getting me through a day. In theory it should be covered under warranty, but I don't have time to send it away as I need it daily. I decided to replace it myself, I would go OEM but I couldn't find any replacement (Ap16l5j), the one in my is made by panasonic, anyone know where to get this?

I also tried to find third party ones, but the only ones I could find are made by this manufacture: 斯丹达(重庆)SiDanDa (ChongQing). I've never heard of this company but they seems to be pretty big. Anyone who had experience with this company?

What are the risks associated with third party batteries? ( Only articles I can find are written in the era of removable batteries, and the OEM are still selling replacements. But that's no longer the case.

p.s I live in Germany, if you know any reputable local retailers, please let me know.

Any answer is appreciated.

hey,

Ifuxit guide

ebay US

DAS EBAY

What are the risks associated with third party batteries?

umm, you can't replace the cells in that type of battery, companies are into disposable electronics now. Tis the way of the world.

P.S. Not everything that comes from china sucks. Just don't buy anything made in America, unless its a burger or a pizza (I'm kidding).

4 hours ago, Jingtian Wang said:

I could find are made by this manufacture: 斯丹达(重庆)SiDanDa (ChongQing).

I did some more digging, apparently although the cells are made by panasonic, if you look closely at the battery on the teardown, it's actually made by the same manufacturer. They just sell them without the acer logo...This is getting more interesting.

3 hours ago, RandleMcmurphy said:

Ifuxit guide

3 hours ago, Twilight said:

contact acer

Already did, but due to corona, their reply turn around is pretty slow...still waiting

Thanks for all the advice

Honestly your best bet is to pick one up off of ebay. If you go with ones that are original, you are more likely to get one that actually works. Though, I have had pretty good luck with replacememnt batteries. Just keep in mind: If it is to good to be true it generally is. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

2 hours ago, Jingtian Wang said:

I did some more digging, apparently although the cells are made by panasonic, if you look closely at the battery on the teardown, it's actually made by the same manufacturer. They just sell them without the acer logo...This is getting more interesting.

when I said cells I was referring to the laminated pouches within the battery pack. There's a 'gate keeper' circuit in the battery pack. Its almost impossible to replace the internal 'cells' or 'cell'. Replace the battery pack, I highly recommend the ebay.

Spoiler

https://media.blackhat.com/bh-us-11/Miller/BH_US_11_Miller_Battery_Firmware_Public_WP.pdf

This particular doc refers to macs specifically, but most modern battery packs share common.

Nothing is impossible, but some things are impractical.

4 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

If it is to good to be true it generally is. 

How much would be too good? The ones I find are around 60 euros (70usd), for a 39wh it seems to be one the alright side. But I don't know much about the topic at hand so can tell for sure. 

2 hours ago, RandleMcmurphy said:

laminated pouches

My plan is to replace the entire battery pack, like just unplug the lead off the mb and put in a new one. It's impossible to recell these rectangular cells these days w/o a degree in electrical engineering.

8 minutes ago, Jingtian Wang said:

How much would be too good? The ones I find are around 60 euros (70usd), for a 39wh it seems to be one the alright side. But I don't know much about the topic at hand so can tell for sure. 

My plan is to replace the entire battery pack, like just unplug the lead off the mb and put in a new one. It's impossible to recell these rectangular cells these days w/o a degree in electrical engineering.

60 euro sounds about right. What I eman is if you seen one 15. That is when your antenna should pop up and bullshit meter to go off. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Acer just replied me with three stores they recommend buying OEM parts with, which is surprising as I thought they stopped selling parts long a go. But I guess problems solved for the time being. Thanks for all the reply and advice!