Microsoft patents a mobile device with a third screen

tridy

itpro.co.uk:

There’s no denying that Microsoft’s upcoming Surface Duo and Surface Neo devices represent cutting-edge technology with their dual screens, but new documents reveal that the company could be working on an even more exciting design for its lineup of folding devices. 

Microsoft has sought to patent an all-new folding mobile device with a third screen, which could be the next handheld gadget to join its multi-screened Surface lineup. 

This updated design comes from a recently published patent titled ‘Device Having A Screen Region On A Hinge Coupled Between Other Screen Regions’. 

https://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/mobile-phones/355239/microsofts-patent-design-reveals-a-mobile-device-with-a-third-screen?

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/10606540.pdf

from the patent:

ABSTRACT
(57)
Techniques are described herein that are capable of making a stale-based determination of information to be displayed on a screen region of a hinge that is coupled to other screen regions. For instance, a state of a hinge that is coupled between a first screen region and a second screen region may be determined. Information that is to be displayed on a third screen region that is provided on the hinge may be determine based at least in part on the state of the hinge.

So, we are past the innovation era where number of cameras became the main selling point. Now, this is number of screens era?

I actually one of those people who like "the fewer moving parts the better."

sometimes i wonder how many of these weird patents actually work

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Honestly I don't care about the number of screens in my phone or computer, but I would love to have a thicker phone and more battery life or even more durable batteries (APPLE!), my iPhone 7 has a battery life of maybe 4 hours, that drops to 2 when I browse reddit!

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

1 minute ago, Srijan Verma said:

It is more of "the right to produce it" rather than actually producing it and from my understanding there far more patents than products. It costs nothing for Microsoft but reserves the right to be the first, and not pay the other companies for the patent, blah blah blah. It is something that R&D came up with as a possibility and one of those "just in case" patents.

8 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

The patent is not so much for producing the product it is if someone [other than MS] does make the product Microsoft will get a royalty for using the concept. That is the key.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

42 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

The patent is not so much for producing the product it is if someone [other than MS] does make the product Microsoft will get a royalty for using the concept. That is the key.

The patent is actually mostly about Hinges and the controller logic for the State of the Device to use the screens. And the story is a little off. They could put 4 screens on this.

Urm ok though better make that Windows 10 X actually functional and proper for a modern device. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

My doors have hinges on them,  my computer has screens.  If I glue my monitor to my door, do I have to pay a royalty?

I am off to patent my device for connecting two rooms with a visual display that gets its information from the contents of the rooms.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.