Q300L optimal fan placement

msvelev

Hi,

I purchased Q300L case and to my understanding it's pretty hard to cool. I liked the aesthetic for the price. The MB I ordered is MSI Mortar Max so it has 3  fan headers.

I have available:

• 3 masterfan mf120r with a hub and rgb controller which will require 1 header.
  • The default fan which comes with the case
  • 3 fans from my old case Cooler Master N500

I'm thinking:

the RGB fans in positions 1,2 as intake and 6 as exhaust, since I think they're the best performing

+ Pos 3 as intake with 1 of my old case fan

+ pos 5 as exhaust with 1 of my old case fan

(I'm guessing they're better than the ones comming with the Q300L, correct me if I''m wrong)

Any help would be appreciated!

Here's a "schematic":

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.56.28.png

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

Planning on buying this case too for an upcoming build. My plan is to do dual 140mm fans on Pos1 and Pos2 to create positive pressure. With the dust filter at the front, should be pretty dust free I guess.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

• 4 weeks later...

Im a 54 to Dad who ordered this case and then read about the cooling issues. It took 2 weeks to arrive and I read a heap of cooling articles and decided to cut out fan holes. I was a little worried about the stability of the case but it has all held together nicely once fans installed. There is only about 10mm-12mm between 140mm Noctua at Front bottom and 120mm Front top. I put 2 x 120mm on top frame and replaced the exhaust fan with a matching 120mm fan.

My daughter has not done much gaming since - but did have Fortnite on EPIC settings for over an hour and GPU peaked at 62 deg C.

I am pretty pleased with myself so far !!

IMG_20200430_083413.jpg

IMG_20200430_083356.jpg

IMG_20200430_083229_(1).jpg

Welp I've already got the case and my GPU hits 87c (and throttles) everytime I game. CPU always hits 100c and shuts down unless I undervolt to 1.275V@4GHz (holding at 83c now) all cores. Thinking of opening up the front for the fans like you did. The thermals in this case is really a mess... but too bad I needed something of this form factor for my desk and I don't have much options atm.

CPU: R5 3600

Cooler: Cryorig H7

GPU: Asus TUF OC RTX2060

2x 140mm at front for intake, 1x 120mm at the back for exhaust

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

On 5/2/2020 at 8:32 AM, Silverado1966 said:

Im a 54 to Dad who ordered this case and then read about the cooling issues. It took 2 weeks to arrive and I read a heap of cooling articles and decided to cut out fan holes. I was a little worried about the stability of the case but it has all held together nicely once fans installed. There is only about 10mm-12mm between 140mm Noctua at Front bottom and 120mm Front top. I put 2 x 120mm on top frame and replaced the exhaust fan with a matching 120mm fan.

My daughter has not done much gaming since - but did have Fortnite on EPIC settings for over an hour and GPU peaked at 62 deg C.

I am pretty pleased with myself so far !!

Really nice mode!
I already got the case and my GPU sits at around 80 and CPU a bit undervolted at 76 (but my cooler is pretty nice for it).

Still I want to cut the holes because the fans need to get too noisy to keep the GPU from throttling.

What did you use to cut the holes? 

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

I used 121mm & 140mm holesaws to cut these. I was worried about damaging the thin metal casing so bolted some timber to the underside and cut through to it for cleaner cut. I placed masking tape on top side - just thought it may help in keeping shards down.

By the time you make cuts there is little holding the thing together and its flimsy. But, once the fans are installed it pulls it all together. I was worried fans may vibrate when operating but that doesn't seem to be the case. Im quite amazed as there is only about 10mm  between to 2 fans at front (120+140). Maybe the rubber trims around the cuts helps dampen any of that ?  

On 5/2/2020 at 6:37 PM, Huntsman said:

Welp I've already got the case and my GPU hits 87c (and throttles) everytime I game. CPU always hits 100c and shuts down unless I undervolt to 1.275V@4GHz (holding at 83c now) all cores. Thinking of opening up the front for the fans like you did. The thermals in this case is really a mess... but too bad I needed something of this form factor for my desk and I don't have much options atm.

CPU: R5 3600

Cooler: Cryorig H7

GPU: Asus TUF OC RTX2060

2x 140mm at front for intake, 1x 120mm at the back for exhaust

Ive now had the system running for a couple of weeks now.

The GPU is ITX sized RX570 - so its small - allowing extra space for air to flow. Im also pumping a lot of air in from bottom front Noctua 140mm fan. 

The only real gaming we have used it for is Fortnite and F1 but CPU is hitting low 50s and GPU low 60s.

The exhaust fans are top may help you ??

PS Ive only got stock AMD Wraith Stealth CPU cooler. Again, small and not causing much air flow impedence.

ve now had the system running for a couple of weeks now. 
The GPU is ITX sized RX570 - so its small - allowing extra space for air to flow. Im also pumping a lot of air in from bottom front Noctua 140mm fan.  
The only real gaming we have used it for is Fortnite and F1 but CPU is hitting low 50s and GPU low 60s. 
The exhaust fans are top may help you ?? 
PS Ive only got stock AMD Wraith Stealth CPU cooler. Again, small and not causing much air flow impedence. 

1 hour ago, Silverado1966 said:

ve now had the system running for a couple of weeks now.

Yall shoulda just 3d printed a mesh side panel...

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

That's fantastic …. I don't have 3D Printer - but that is Cool as !