3900X Mini-ITX build

I'm planning to upgrade my 6-year old setup. Currently running a 4770K-based setup with 16GB RAM, a Vega 56, and a 1TB Samsung EVO drive. I'm looking to go for a Mini-ITX build this time since all I ever used apart from my GPU was an add-in network card so I don't see the point in getting a full ATX motherboard. 

The reasoning behind it is that I've been doing some 4K video editing and it's painfully slow on this PC. Also, some of the more recent games I'm playing such as APEX Legends and Fallout 4 do not run very well. I have a 144Hz 1440p monitor but my current setup struggles to push past 70-80fps. 

I'm not sure whether to do a full upgrade or to carry over the SSD and GPU I already have to the new build and wait to upgrade those at a later date. 

In case I do a full upgrade, I've linked below the parts I'm planning to use. One exception is the Optane drive. The one I'm actually planning to use is the 480GB U.2 one with an adapter cable but it didn't show up in pcpartpicker https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Optane-480GB-XPoint-Adapter/dp/B07CZ8ZKL9/ref=sr_1_4

So the questions I had that I was hoping someone with more experience would be able to answer are these:

1. Would a 3900X work fine with a Mini-ITX board like the one on my list?

2. Are you aware of some compatibility issues with the SSD I mentioned? 

3. Would you say it's fine to do a full upgrade or should I do the partial CPU+mobo+RAM upgrade and wait on the CPU and GPU until the new gen comes out?

I'm open to any other comments or suggestions you might have. thanks for your time. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

1. Would it work? Yes. Should you do it? I'm of the personal belief that anything more than a ryzen 5 and 2060 shouldn't be in a small form factor build due to heat issues.

2. The SSD won't work because the motherboard doesn't have space for it. there are some other reasons for why it's a bad choice but just go with a Samsung 970 pro if you're dropping the big bucks

3. I would just swap the CPU and it's respective parts, especially since we're closer to a new GPU launch from nvidia than a new CPU launch from amd or intel.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

16 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Should you do it? I'm of the personal belief that anything more than a ryzen 5 and 2060 shouldn't be in a small form factor build

with an NH-D15, it's kinda hard to call it a "small" form factor build

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

with an NH-D15, it's kinda hard to call it a "small" form factor build

I meant small in comparison to the large 600T case I have right now. from what I've been reading, there isn't really much of a difference between a high-end air cooler and AIO liquid cooler. They're cheaper and more reliable.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

26 minutes ago, Juanitology said:

I meant small in comparison to the large 600T case I have right now. from what I've been reading, there isn't really much of a difference between a high-end air cooler and AIO liquid cooler. They're cheaper and more reliable.

There are plenty of smaller ATX half towers out there that are smaller than the 600T. If you have to do SFF, get a micro-ATX system, it's a million times better for only a few liters more of space.

From experience, water is longer sustained temps, while air is lower peak temps but for a shorter time. So for a normal gaming build, air might be better simply because you need it for the few time the CPU boosts. However, you just don't have the space for air to work in a SFF build, especially on the components you've chosen, and the extra wattage the x570 chipset needs.

As it stands, you're shooting yourself in both feet with an ITX build. Especially since the fact that you'll only have 1 PCIe slot that will only have room for your GPU, as an editor you'll be cursing that fact.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

21 hours ago, Jumballi said:

There are plenty of smaller ATX half towers out there that are smaller than the 600T. If you have to do SFF, get a micro-ATX system, it's a million times better for only a few liters more of space.

From experience, water is longer sustained temps, while air is lower peak temps but for a shorter time. So for a normal gaming build, air might be better simply because you need it for the few time the CPU boosts. However, you just don't have the space for air to work in a SFF build, especially on the components you've chosen, and the extra wattage the x570 chipset needs.

As it stands, you're shooting yourself in both feet with an ITX build. Especially since the fact that you'll only have 1 PCIe slot that will only have room for your GPU, as an editor you'll be cursing that fact.

I had originally considered an m-atx build but the only mobo I've found is the ASRock X570M Pro4 and from what I've read it has some reliability issues. I'd love to have some options from gigabyte or asus but as it stands it doesn't feel like that'll happen anytime soon.