Questions for a dual-monitor setup

IAmAndre

Hi guys,

I'm considering investing in a dual monitor setup. However I don't have a lot of models to choose from in my country and I found this HP one that doesn't look too bad. I also found the full specs and even a review: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/hp/27f

So I will be using it mostly for productivity, which also includes some occasional color-sensitive work, but also gaming on the weekend. I'm not into e-sport titles so I'll most likely focus on games like GTA, Assassin's Creed and stuff.

1. My GPU is a Vega 56 and it has only one HDMI port and 3 DP, but the monitor only have HDMI and VGA ports. Is it worth investing on an active DP to HDMI adapter to enjoy FreeSync at 75Hz on both monitors?
  2. Would you recommend going for the 24" variant instead to have a better pixel density while still having 48" in total?
  3. Are they even worth it? The 27" would cost me $375 but I should be able to get a discount if I negotiate well. Especially, if I buy two of them. Another option would be to import a 34" ultrawide monitor from the US at $350-450 + $150-200 of shipping fees + potential import fees. As of now I'm not looking for the best deal but the lowest rip-off.

Thanks

Hello Andre.

Well..

1. I think you can buy a cable with DP and HDMI so you won't need an adapter if that's the case. On my secondary I'm running a DVI-HDMI cable because my video card don't have DVI and monitor dont have HDMI. I think they sell similar for DP as well.

2 and 3. I can't see on the specsheet that the monitor actually supports 75Hz in 1080p... So you must be aware that it might not. Pixel density is not such a big issue, it is only 3 inches but difference is there. I have run both 24 and 27 inch panels and I didn't notice much of a difference. It is a steep price IMO but it is a IPS panel, if you can go over to the retailer and have a look at it before you make an investment I think that would be wise. It is 5ms refresh rate which is not the best, again I would advice you to go and have a look if possible. Try to make things move across the display and see if there is any ghosting (part of the moving thing remains for a little while in the old position, if you know what I mean). If the panel don't ghost then maybe it's something to invest in.. if it does ghost then it is not something one should use for gaming. I can't really say if it is worth it or not, but it may not be ideal (I think the panel may ghost) but maybe I'm wrong and it can turn out to be a decent purchase. 

7 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I think they sell similar for DP as well.

They do but passive cables won't allow for FreeSync

7 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I can't see on the specsheet that the monitor actually supports 75Hz in 1080p

Yes, it is mentioned.

8 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

It is 5ms refresh rate which is not the best

I know right, and ghosting is kind of a big deal for me. However my current monitor has an 8ms response time so I guess it wouldn't be too bad. However that's a value provided by the manufacturer. The review says that it's fine though.

9 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

They do but passive cables won't allow for FreeSync

Yes, it is mentioned.

I know right, and ghosting is kind of a big deal for me. However my current monitor has an 8ms response time so I guess it wouldn't be too bad. However that's a value provided by the manufacturer. The review says that it's fine though.

Did you have the option to look at the monitor and try it out a bit in the store? Or maybe your country like mine has a 30 day return policy, so if you are not satisfied you can return the items. 5 ms isn't the worst, I simply said it wasn't the best. As long the panel don't ghost then 5ms is fine. The Acer panel I got for cheaps ghosted like no tomorrow and that was 5ms heh.

6 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Did you have the option to look at the monitor and try it out a bit in the store? Or maybe your country like mine has a 30 day return policy, so if you are not satisfied you can return the items. 5 ms isn't the worst, I simply said it wasn't the best. As long the panel don't ghost then 5ms is fine. The Acer panel I got for cheaps ghosted like no tomorrow and that was 5ms heh.

I finally decided to get something more high end. Preferably a 21:9 monitor with as little compromises as possible.