What is TCase on Cpu

So recently i checked at intel website for my cpu info and the intel said TCase 72.6°C and what those tcase mean and if i render something or at gaming my cpu temp always above 78°C so is that fine or what should i do?

Gigabyte A320M-S2h Rev 1.2
Ryzen 5 1600 w/ Stock Wraith Spire

Micron 8GB 2666MHz From HP Prebuilt @ 3533MHz CL18 (Single Channel)

MSI RX 460 4GB OC w/ RX 560 Bios for couple months

WD Green 240GB m.2 SATA III 
WD Blue 7200RPM 1TB
WD Blue 5400RPM 1TB
Seagate Pipeline 5900RPM 500GB
Zalman ZM600-HP (Heatpipe Utilized PSU) 600W 

31 minutes ago, Prius Is Suck said:

So recently i checked at intel website for my cpu info and the intel said TCase 72.6°C and what those tcase mean and if i render something or at gaming my cpu temp always above 78°C so is that fine or what should i do?

If you click the little question mark, it will explain:

Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).

So either the temperature readout is wrong in your program, or your CPU is thermal throttling. EDIT: or Intel changed terminology :^)

In any case, be sure to clean your PC and apply new thermal paste.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

If you click the little question mark, it will explain:

So either the temperature readout is wrong in your program, or your CPU is thermal throttling.

In any case, be sure to clean your PC and apply new thermal paste.

Ouh my thermal paste is ~4-5 years old? And do you watch ltt for bulk thermal paste i use that, thank you For your advice, maybe in the future i will upgrade to i5 3570 so i need to buy new thermal paste

Gigabyte A320M-S2h Rev 1.2
Ryzen 5 1600 w/ Stock Wraith Spire

Micron 8GB 2666MHz From HP Prebuilt @ 3533MHz CL18 (Single Channel)

MSI RX 460 4GB OC w/ RX 560 Bios for couple months

WD Green 240GB m.2 SATA III 
WD Blue 7200RPM 1TB
WD Blue 5400RPM 1TB
Seagate Pipeline 5900RPM 500GB
Zalman ZM600-HP (Heatpipe Utilized PSU) 600W 

Post above is wrong. 

On old CPUs they specified TCase which is basically the temperature on the top of the CPU where the heatsink touches. Monitoring programs however measure Tj, i.e. the temperature of the silicon itself. That can go up to 100°C, and when it does the temp at the cooler interface will be the 72.6°C due to the heat spreader's thermal resistance.

Now they just specify Tj max at 100°C instead which makes a lot more sense since that is actually measurable unlike Tcase, but in any case you're all good.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

20 minutes ago, minibois said:

So either the temperature readout is wrong in your program, or your CPU is thermal throttling.

I don't think either is the case.

Intel replaced Tjunction with Tcase (or the other way around on more modern CPUs)

Tcase max is measured by characterizing a socketed processor with an integrated heat spreader (IHS) for operation within an assembled system. This specification is set to ensure the processor does not exceed its operating temperature so long as the system is able to provide adequate cooling to maintain the top of the IHS at this temperature. This is primarily intended for system manufacturers in assessing their system design.  

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html

In the Tjunction part of that page Intel talks about the DTS (digital thermal sensor) on the CPU die, which can be monitored, to see how close temperatures are getting to Tjunction.

They also say that Tjunction is the temperature at which "internal thermal control mechanisms" start to lower power consumption and clock speed to prevent a CPU from overheating.

Now, iirc the Tjunction for his CPU is around 85°C or 90°C, which means it's all good.

But replacing the thermal paste is a good idea nontheless!

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I don't think either is the case.

Intel replaced Tjunction with Tcase.

In the Tjunction part of that page Intel talks about the DTS (digital thermal sensor) on the CPU die, which can be monitored, to see how close temperatures are getting to Tjunction.

They also say that Tjunction is the temperature at which "internal thermal control mechanisms" start to lower power consumption and clock speed to prevent a CPU from overheating.

Now, iirc the Tjunction for his CPU is around 85°C or 90°C, which means it's all good.

But replacing the thermal paste is a good idea nontheless!

Thanks for the information, that's really helpful.

I basically just copied the explanation of Tcase given on the Intel ARK website for OP's CPU, which I would have guessed they would have updated as their terminology switched (as the ARK redesign happened not that long ago, so I kinda expected them to changed the terms I guess).

I kinda assumed OP should clean their PC + apply new thermal paste based on their signature:

Intel i5 2400 with Intel stock cooler @65° idle (cooler found at attic)

:P 65 C idle is not great.. I mean I get Indonesia has a warm climate, but that can hardly be good.

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Post above is wrong. 

On old CPUs they specified TCase which is basically the temperature on the top of the CPU where the heatsink touches. Monitoring programs however measure Tj, i.e. the temperature of the silicon itself. That can go up to 100°C, and when it does the temp at the cooler interface will be the 72.6°C due to the heat spreader's thermal resistance.

Now they just specify Tj max at 100°C instead which makes a lot more sense, but in any case you're all good.

Feel free to quote me whenever you have corrections on my post, helps me learn something new and makes sure I can acknowledge I was wrong to make sure there is no misinformation present in my posts 👌

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2020 at 12:55 AM, New display name REQUIRED said:

Ouh my thermal paste is ~4-5 years old? And do you watch ltt for bulk thermal paste i use that, thank you For your advice, maybe in the future i will upgrade to i5 3570 so i need to buy new thermal paste

How you got ram, gpu free and motherboard in so much discount

i3 3220, ddr3 1333MHz 6Gb(4+2) , GA-H61M-S2P-R3, Frontech Jill Case, Corsair CX-450m, Seagate 500gb hdd 7.2k, Dell 1600*900 Monitor, Windows 10, Ant Esport MK 3400V2 Mechanical Keyboard, Dell MS 116, Wifi Dongle

On 4/6/2020 at 12:41 PM, Kilrah said:

Post above is wrong. 

Now they just specify Tj max at 100°C instead which makes a lot more sense since that is actually measurable unlike Tcase, but in any case you're all good.

It's the cpu socket temp. (Or other mainboard ambient related temp sensor when applicable.)  There is not a sensor on the top of the IHS plate unless you install one there. It's an off-die / off chip sensor. 

Tcase is literally the ambient temp. The measure in difference to gradient at which the stock cooler applied towards Thermal Design Point a cooler can dissipate. 

T-Junction is not the same as Tcase temp. TJ max is the maximum allowed at the cpu die (100c Intel 90c Zen2 and up).

Leaving the Cpu max temp threshold at the core sensor a bit higher, in Zen/Zen+ 95c and Zen2/3 90c with a Therm trip higher than 100c, often around 110/115c. Intel chips 100c throttle and 115c therm trip.

For reference to those with Ryzen chips, the official Cpu high temp alert is 70c. When a system is all defaults, sets cpu fan to 100% duty cycle. 

The T-Case is almost always near the same temp as the High temp alert from the cpu to command 100% cooling duty cycle of which the user can only intervein this temperature limit to 75c on any modern AM4 board.

edit:

lol. 

Oh shit just noticed this thread was necro as fuck.