Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted · Original PosterOP

So recently i checked at intel website for my cpu info and the intel said TCase 72.6°C and what those tcase mean and if i render something or at gaming my cpu temp always above 78°C so is that fine or what should i do?

My "NOT SO GAMING PC" Specs

Intel i5 2400 with Intel stock cooler @65° idle (cooler found at attic)

Corsair ValueSelect 16GB(2X8GB) DDR3 (I got it for free)

AsRock H61M-DGS ( with 65% Discount)

MSI Radeon RX460 GDDR5 4GB OC edition (Got it For free)

WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM (Salvage From CCTV DECODER)

Dazumba Case forget Model , forgot brand PSU 80+ Bronze 450/500W

LG 20MP38HQ-B , DELL 1704FPTt (From 2006) Recently Broken

I Dont Know Keyboard, REXUS XIERRA G7 mouse

D.I.Y 15W Stereo Speaker

Random Case Fan

31 minutes ago, Prius Is Suck said:

So recently i checked at intel website for my cpu info and the intel said TCase 72.6°C and what those tcase mean and if i render something or at gaming my cpu temp always above 78°C so is that fine or what should i do?

If you click the little question mark, it will explain:

Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).

So either the temperature readout is wrong in your program, or your CPU is thermal throttling. EDIT: or Intel changed terminology :^)

In any case, be sure to clean your PC and apply new thermal paste.

I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

"FuryBSD, name of your sex tape" - Alex Clark

"How long do I have to keep going on? Someone end it already"

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, minibois said:

If you click the little question mark, it will explain:

So either the temperature readout is wrong in your program, or your CPU is thermal throttling.

In any case, be sure to clean your PC and apply new thermal paste.

Ouh my thermal paste is ~4-5 years old? And do you watch ltt for bulk thermal paste i use that, thank you For your advice, maybe in the future i will upgrade to i5 3570 so i need to buy new thermal paste

My "NOT SO GAMING PC" Specs

Corsair ValueSelect 16GB(2X8GB) DDR3 (I got it for free)

AsRock H61M-DGS ( with 65% Discount)

MSI Radeon RX460 GDDR5 4GB OC edition (Got it For free)

WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM (Salvage From CCTV DECODER)

Dazumba Case forget Model , forgot brand PSU 80+ Bronze 450/500W

LG 20MP38HQ-B , DELL 1704FPTt (From 2006) Recently Broken

I Dont Know Keyboard, REXUS XIERRA G7 mouse

D.I.Y 15W Stereo Speaker

Random Case Fan

Post above is wrong. 

On old CPUs they specified TCase which is basically the temperature on the top of the CPU where the heatsink touches. Monitoring programs however measure Tj, i.e. the temperature of the silicon itself. That can go up to 100°C, and when it does the temp at the cooler interface will be the 72.6°C due to the heat spreader's thermal resistance.

Now they just specify Tj max at 100°C instead which makes a lot more sense since that is actually measurable unlike Tcase, but in any case you're all good.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

20 minutes ago, minibois said:

So either the temperature readout is wrong in your program, or your CPU is thermal throttling.

I don't think either is the case.

Intel replaced Tjunction with Tcase (or the other way around on more modern CPUs)

Tcase max is measured by characterizing a socketed processor with an integrated heat spreader (IHS) for operation within an assembled system. This specification is set to ensure the processor does not exceed its operating temperature so long as the system is able to provide adequate cooling to maintain the top of the IHS at this temperature. This is primarily intended for system manufacturers in assessing their system design.  

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html

In the Tjunction part of that page Intel talks about the DTS (digital thermal sensor) on the CPU die, which can be monitored, to see how close temperatures are getting to Tjunction.

They also say that Tjunction is the temperature at which "internal thermal control mechanisms" start to lower power consumption and clock speed to prevent a CPU from overheating.

Now, iirc the Tjunction for his CPU is around 85°C or 90°C, which means it's all good.

But replacing the thermal paste is a good idea nontheless!

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I don't think either is the case.

Intel replaced Tjunction with Tcase.

In the Tjunction part of that page Intel talks about the DTS (digital thermal sensor) on the CPU die, which can be monitored, to see how close temperatures are getting to Tjunction.

They also say that Tjunction is the temperature at which "internal thermal control mechanisms" start to lower power consumption and clock speed to prevent a CPU from overheating.

Now, iirc the Tjunction for his CPU is around 85°C or 90°C, which means it's all good.

But replacing the thermal paste is a good idea nontheless!

Thanks for the information, that's really helpful.

I basically just copied the explanation of Tcase given on the Intel ARK website for OP's CPU, which I would have guessed they would have updated as their terminology switched (as the ARK redesign happened not that long ago, so I kinda expected them to changed the terms I guess).

I kinda assumed OP should clean their PC + apply new thermal paste based on their signature:

:P 65 C idle is not great.. I mean I get Indonesia has a warm climate, but that can hardly be good.

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Post above is wrong. 

On old CPUs they specified TCase which is basically the temperature on the top of the CPU where the heatsink touches. Monitoring programs however measure Tj, i.e. the temperature of the silicon itself. That can go up to 100°C, and when it does the temp at the cooler interface will be the 72.6°C due to the heat spreader's thermal resistance.

Now they just specify Tj max at 100°C instead which makes a lot more sense, but in any case you're all good.

Feel free to quote me whenever you have corrections on my post, helps me learn something new and makes sure I can acknowledge I was wrong to make sure there is no misinformation present in my posts 👌

I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

"FuryBSD, name of your sex tape" - Alex Clark

"How long do I have to keep going on? Someone end it already"