Compact phone with good battery and cam

Vautksch

Hey,

I am looking for a 250€ phone

Compact (under 6")

Good battery

Good camera

Perfrmance needs to enough for mail and YouTube. My LG G5 is fine, just the battery and camera suck.

Battery needs to be changeable at least without breaking it.

Any tips?

Looking at the Pixel 3A and Xiaomi MI 9 SE

Any tips?

So the parts that take the most space need to be large, but the device itself needs to be small.  Sounds like a physics problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The xiaomi mi 9 se is a good choice, but i would suggest taking a look at older  LG G series devices, even if they are used. Cant think of any other device with a display less than 6" at that price.

If you strictly want new, then go for the mi 9 se, still pretty powerful for web browsing and media consumption, even for graphical demanding games.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So the parts that take the most space need to be large, but the device itself needs to be small.  Sounds like a physics problem.

This is wrong. There have been devices in the past with great cameras and battery life with around 6inch displays: Poco f1, Mi A3, iphone 7 all the way to 11, samsung s9, s10 and more.

7 hours ago, EL02 said:

The xiaomi mi 9 se is a good choice, but i would suggest taking a look at older  LG G series devices, even if they are used. Cant think of any other device with a display less than 6" at that price.

If you strictly want new, then go for the mi 9 se, still pretty powerful for web browsing and media consumption, even for graphical demanding games.

This is wrong. There have been devices in the past with great cameras and battery life with around 6inch displays: Poco f1, Mi A3, iphone 7 all the way to 11, samsung s9, s10 and more.

The explanation makes sense but the accusation that it is “wrong” does not.

Whether a 6” phone is considered large or small is a value judgement. As is “good” battery life.

One of the requirements was removable battery which takes even more space.  The battery is the largest single component of a phone, removable takes even more space.  It’s a major reason removable battery phones are almost unfindable these days.  the camera is generally the next largest. “Good” is also a nearly worthless descriptor in this case.  How is this “wrong”?  The explanation does not cover that. I’m not familiar with several of the phones, but I’m typing on an iPhone 7 and I assure you it does not have a user removable battery.  It can be changed by a user with a kit, but loses its water resistance if this is done which might be considered “breaking” it.

Part of the problem is just about every descriptor used is fairly fuzzy. Which is why my answer was equally fuzzy.   If they are defined further it could be “wrong”.  “Good” camera is the easiest one to do that with.  What was a “good” camera 10 years ago is a terrible one today.  Whether the iPhone 7 has a “good” camera anymore is pretty debatable.

Edited by Bombastinator
Typos, additional explanations and addendum

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Okay, maybe my explanation wasn't the right one. You were partially wrong. The phones above still have decent to great cameras even for 2020. The battery life is great in all of them, meaning you could get through a whole day without charging with daily use and some gaming.

I mean good camera + battery != larger than 6'' display.

I think what OP meant by "changeable" is having a phone without strong pull tabs, which makes the process easier.

Sorry if "wrong" came out as a little bit harsh.

13 hours ago, Vautksch said:

Hey,

I am looking for a 250€ phone

Compact (under 6")

Good battery

Good camera

Perfrmance needs to enough for mail and YouTube. My LG G5 is fine, just the battery and camera suck.

Battery needs to be changeable at least without breaking it.

Any tips?

Looking at the Pixel 3A and Xiaomi MI 9 SE

Any tips?

3A will beat anything here camera wise, any chance you could wait a bit, save up and see if the pixel 4a is any good, rumoured to be launched this quarter.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the samsung galaxy A40. Its very compact, and the camera is decent. The battery is pretty average tho. The A41 is coming out soon with a larger battery and an IP rating. Its 6.1 inches instead of 5.9, but thats still compact enough.