Processor :  Intel Core i7 4790K

Motherboard : Asus Z97-A

CPU Cooler : Be Quiet Dark Rock 3

GPU : Sapphire Radeon R9 280X TRI X 3Go

HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1To 7200rpm 

Case : Fractal Design Define XL R2

Ram : Kingston DDR3 2x8Go Hyper X Fury

PSU :  Cooler Master G700 - 700W

My use is mostly music production (recording, mixing), video editing (Premiere, After Effects) with a little bit of gaming sometimes.

Up until now it covered my needs, as I moved my audio/video work to a MacBook pro 3 years ago, but as I got better and projects more complex the MacBook is starting to show its limits as well. 

Yesterday I tried to play Mount & Blade II : Bannerlord and it was unplayable, even worse when I installed the latest drivers for my GPU, so the computer is not enough for my gaming needs either... 

The upgraded version should be able to run M&B II and newer games in a playable fashion and "future proof" me by handling 4K video editing 

What parts are worth keeping (if any) ? I'd like to keep the case at the very least, but the less money I have to spend the happier I'll be haha.

I'm located in France and my currency is euros.

I think that 600 euros would be my highest budget, but I'd really like to keep it low

Thanks in advance !

You may have to contact be quiet to get a proper adapter for your CPU cooler to fit, but your current hardware should transfer with no issue

Only thing I could not find to add was the PSU, if it is an old power supply, you may want to consider replacing it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Maybe a silly question but couldn't I keep my RAM with the new motherboard ? That would allow me to buy a M.2 SSD which seems like a big upgrade

Same question with my CPU, is it completely outdated or can I keep it along with my motherboard for a while ? I mean would the GTX 1650 work with my current setup ?

And if I understood correctly I'd be able to keep my PSU with this new build ?

Thanks!

You have DDR3 RAM, everything current uses DDR4 so no you can't keep it.

You can't use a newer CPU on your motherboard either. The CPU/motherboard standard changes every couple of years with Intel stuff.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You have DDR3 RAM, everything current uses DDR4 so no you can't keep it.

You can't use a newer CPU on your motherboard either. The CPU/motherboard standard changes every couple of years with Intel stuff.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks !

So to summarize :

- I can keep the case, the cooler and the PSU

- I can upgrade the GPU without changing the motherboard

- When I'll upgrade the CPU I need to change the MB and ram as well

Is that correct ?

Sorry for all the questions but I've been out of the tech world for a while haha