The + is Dead - Long Live The 3! - Zen 3 information suggests big IPC and cache improvements

5x5

It's like we're back in the early 2000's, with Intel pushing for the highest clock speeds...while being behind AMD in the IPC department.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

25 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It's like we're back in the early 2000's, with Intel pushing for the highest clock speeds...while being behind AMD in the IPC department.

Athlon 3400+, anyone want to guess the frequency? Hint: Not 3400Mhz lol

25 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I find it amusing that people think this is the first time AMD has been on top. They both trade spots being the top, it's nothing new and it's what you want. Intel has had a long stint at the top, so it's good that AMD is up there, It makes both companies push for better products

But people thinking this is going to be the downfall of Intel annoy me.

That's not how business works, nor should it be what people root for

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Athlon 3400+, anyone want to guess the frequency? Hint: Not 3400Mhz lol

was it 2.8?  I seem to remember the Athlon 3200 was like 2.2 out of the box. 

EDIT: I'm googling now.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

20 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I find it amusing that people think this is the first time AMD has been on top. They both trade spots being the top, it's nothing new and it's what you want. Intel has had a long stint at the top, so it's good that AMD is up there, It makes both companies push for better products

Going back further, and we have the 386 DX-40. Better than anything Intel had, and rock solid.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Intel is in the position AMD were in 2011 with the FX CPUs where they had clockspeeds, high heat output and lower IPC than Intel. Basically, the mighty have fallen.

or the same position they were in in the P4 days

15 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Okay, I'm gonna go back a bit farther than might be necessary, but anyway: Originally AMD was actually a second-supplier for Intel chips, they made their business reverse-engineering and copying them for early personal computers. But Intel started to get finicky about licensing and patents so AMD had to do something else. Intel owns the x86 instruction set, so AMD couldn't use it without an agreement with Intel. In 2000, AMD released the AMD64 extension to the x86 instruction set, which added a 64-bit mode. Intel was forced to enter a cross-licensing agreement so AMD could use x86 and Intel could use AMD64.

From that point, AMD had a few great years of competition. They were the first to push dual-cores, they bought ATI and started doing GPUs, and they they generally beat Intel on all fronts. But then, for reasons that still aren't clear, they just kind of stopped working on their CPUs. Around 2008 they introduced K10, which was pretty good, and tweaked that until 2011 when they launched Bulldozer, which was underwhelming from the start, and over the next 6 years they just kept bumping the clocks on Bulldozer. They didn't even do it with process optimizations or anything, they just kept raising the TDP. They were actually the first to make a 5Ghz CPU, and it was hot, power-hungry, expensive, and rather slow. They even stuck with PCIe 2.0, never bothered with 3.0 until Zen. Intel kept improving features, efficiency, and IPC and eventually gained such a lead that they stopped innovating too, keeping the desktop at 4 cores and rationing out token 5% performance boosts every now and then while quietly raising prices.

Now, after Ryzen, AMD's absolutely crushing it with IPC and efficiency, while Intel's stuck in the mud revising Skylake over and over again trying to compensate with clock speed. Hell, Intel's even still on PCIe 3.0, aren't they?

I just hope mid-2020s AMD doesn't turn into early/mid-2010s Intel.

intel had been quite a bully, first they didn't follow the ibm contract just a year into it, then latter when amd was making good products they bribed every oem into not selling amd products, in japan they even managed to prevent almost all sales.

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

And contrary to what people want to believe, 50% is a guess.  It is exactly the same probability as a guess, which means for any given prediction,  anyone on this forum would have exactly the same accuracy.  I don't even understand why people watch his videos let alone take him seriously. 

On topic.  It's nice to see AMD getting back on top of things over the last few years and I am genuinely excited to see what the next generation of products bring.  But where they land performance wise still remains to be seen.  I mean IPC is becoming such an ambiguous metric when different workloads perform so differently.    There is no point in jumping up and down about IPC in multi core process when your program only uses one thread and different CPU's clock very differently.

btw the ipc numbers were specifically about single core

48 minutes ago, Arika S said:

right now people should root for a weak intel in the next 2-5 years or this competition will be short lived

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

right now people should root for a weak intel in the next 2-5 years or this competition will be short lived

people should root for both companies, root for competition.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

43 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Going back further, and we have the 386 DX-40. Better than anything Intel had, and rock solid.

Ehhhhhh, the 486 was still better (at 25 MHz or higher), but was also ludicrously more expensive. Not that this is relevant. Plus it isn't like AMD made any improvements to the 386 design other than straight cloning (well the SX had idle power reduction, but that's really it).

Anyways, I would definitely agree that this is much more comparable to the P4 situation, but thankfully (for Intel) Intel doesn't have an arch that is trash, just process nodes that are stagnant really. It is unreasonable for anyone to expect that Intel doesn't have plans for returns to competitive leads, but ofc execution is the key here. At least they aren't in a P4/Bulldozer situation where their UArch is dead end and additionally regression clock for clock from previous variants.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

It's still a guess, adordedtv and wccftech make up so much crap I have a difficult time believing any numbers they give.

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

People should be rooting for both, so we actually have competition. AMD is still a company, don't think they wouldn't slow down on improvements if Intel failed to have a competing product.

8 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Absolutely.  IPC  remained somewhat relevant while many programs were polarized as either single threaded or multiple threaded.  but now there is so much crossover (not just between different workloads but even across similar workloads like games) the whole IPC = better is no longer a straight up advantage/disadvantage.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I need to understand the leak: "32MB L3 shared cache in ONE CCX"
the current Zen 2 configuration is as it 4c+16MB L3/CCX and 2CCX/CCD
https://cdn.inpact-hardware.com/data-prod/image/bd/1518.jpeg

so the Zen 3 CCX will be Zen 2 CCD but with a L3 unified (chat about inifinity frabric beween CCX/ CCD?) or something else (8c/CCX and 2CCX/CCD and 2CCD/CPU (->32c/64t)) ?

Planning to upgrade my Ryzen 3000 to a high Ryzen 4000, not interested in Ryzen 5000, DDR5 and all those costs

14 minutes ago, oeris said:

so the Zen 3 CCX will be Zen 2 CCD but with a L3 unified (chat about inifinity frabric beween CCX/ CCD?) or something else (8c/CCX and 2CCX/CCD and 2CCD/CPU (->32c/64t)) ?

The two most probable configurations are:

• 1x 8 core CCX per CCD offering the same core count configurations we have today
  • 2x 8 core CCXs per CCD offering double what we have today

The first one seems like the most likely to me.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

• 1x 8 core CCX per CCD offering the same core count configurations we have today

Agreed - I doubt they'll release 32-core AM4 CPUs and risk someone putting it on B350 or A320

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Agreed - I doubt they'll release 32-core AM4 CPUs and risk someone putting it on B350 or A320

I pressed the on button and the motherboard released the magical blue smoke, how do I get it back in?

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory is that there are physics barriers preventing 6gjz from being possible on non exotic cooling.  In any case AMD is beating intel with IPC not clock.  Their chips are clocking lower than intel at least in the gaming space.

Yeah, its called the law of heat = bad for electronics 🤣

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

31 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I assume manufacturers will never issue an updated BIOS for those boards that would allow those power-hungry CPUs to be used in the first place.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

if "1x 8 core CCX per CCD "  CCX will be equal to CCD ? and 2 CCD for 49x0X
image.png.446700c67e416bb82aa6c1e8c58ba219.png

Maybe i've difficulties to understand lol

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

It could be funny seen YTers testing 32c CPU on A320 but lock at 1GHz because it already use too much power

5 minutes ago, oeris said:

if "1x 8 core CCX per CCD "  CCX will be equal to CCD

Yep, sort of makes CCXs a bit redundant but in reality even cores in the Intel architecture are compartmentalized too. A CCD has one or more CCXs and an Infinity Fabric PHY interface, that interface could also be doubled in width or doubled in connection bus count. Basically there is more in a CCD than just CCXs and I wonder if more/different things could be added. 

56 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, its called the law of heat = bad for electronics 🤣

I don’t know how the determination was reached.  It’s quite old and may be out of date.  At the time iirc it assumed processes getting down to 1nm

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'm very impatient to see the presentation, have technicals details, benchmarks, price and date to order. AMD, TAKE ALL MY MONEY !!!

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Again, not factoring in AVX-512. If you take that into account it's somewhere between 100%* and 150%* faster than Whiskey Lake.

We have to be ever more careful about AVX-512 support. It isn't a single set of instructions, but includes multiple sets,and is still dependant on hardware support.

You may hear of one unit and two unit AVX-512 implementations on Intel. The two unit ones have double the floating point resources compared to one unit ones. A one unit CPU may be no faster than AVX2 since it has about the same hardware resource. With a two unit implementation you can do "up to" double the work of AVX2 if not limited elsewhere. Reason for mentioning this, is we've seen similar for AVX2 between Zen and Zen 2. Zen and Zen+ only had half the FP resource compared to Intel mainstream implementations. Zen 2 finally caught up (and maybe went slightly ahead) when they finally put in that extra FP resource. If AMD go AVX-512, it will be interesting to see how they go. Indication so far is that Intel future mainstream implementations will be one unit, leaving 2 unit to more premium solutions. AMD might eventually follow on that, since historically they have lagged Intel in this area downplaying its importance.

Also note AVX-512 includes new instruction sets that might become more interesting in future. Most recently was VNNI extension to accelerate neural networks.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

The way I read is Zen3 isn't getting AVX-512 too, reads to me as coming in Zen4.

Agreed.

Anyway, back on the report, nothing we haven't heard already. The bigger unified CCX will help with more demanding multi-thread workloads. More IPC will be interesting to see how or where that is delivered in practice. I'd suspect it would lean towards SMT friendly work more so than single thread, but let's see.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

40 minutes ago, porina said:

We have to be ever more careful about AVX-512 support. It isn't a single set of instructions, but includes multiple sets,and is still dependant on hardware support.

You may hear of one unit and two unit AVX-512 implementations on Intel. The two unit ones have double the floating point resources compared to one unit ones. A one unit CPU may be no faster than AVX2 since it has about the same hardware resource. With a two unit implementation you can do "up to" double the work of AVX2 if not limited elsewhere. Reason for mentioning this, is we've seen similar for AVX2 between Zen and Zen 2. Zen and Zen+ only had half the FP resource compared to Intel mainstream implementations. Zen 2 finally caught up (and maybe went slightly ahead) when they finally put in that extra FP resource. If AMD go AVX-512, it will be interesting to see how they go. Indication so far is that Intel future mainstream implementations will be one unit, leaving 2 unit to more premium solutions. AMD might eventually follow on that, since historically they have lagged Intel in this area downplaying its importance.

Also note AVX-512 includes new instruction sets that might become more interesting in future. Most recently was VNNI extension to accelerate neural networks.

Agreed.

Anyway, back on the report, nothing we haven't heard already. The bigger unified CCX will help with more demanding multi-thread workloads. More IPC will be interesting to see how or where that is delivered in practice. I'd suspect it would lean towards SMT friendly work more so than single thread, but let's see.

amd says its waiting for it to make sense, due to the massive memory bottlenecks it has, so it being planned for zen 4 makes perfect sense as that is when they also plan to have ddr5 support 

47 minutes ago, porina said:

Here's a nice graphic, while a bit old now, of just how not easy it is to talk about AVX-512 as a single thing

45388477-e8980480-b5cd-11e8-90a5-a5afbf7

Skylake supports AVX-512 right? 🤪

34 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

amd says its waiting for it to make sense, due to the massive memory bottlenecks it has, so it being planned for zen 4 makes perfect sense as that is when they also plan to have ddr5 support 

It is quite a struggle for sure on Intel side, although the generous caches on Zen 2 help, likely even more so when they get more unified in Zen 3. It's even better if you don't have to touch the ram in the first place.

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Skylake supports AVX-512 right? 🤪

Skylake-X (and Cascade Lake-X) at least have the two unit implementations so can have a nice throughput, if you can tame the power.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

So a metric that is independent of total clock speed only matters due to clock speed?

IPC is instruction per clock,  so it doesn't matter if the clock is 3Ghz or 33Ghz the frequency of the clock does not change IPC.  What changes IPC is how well the the HT/SMT is working, how well the code is refined and how many cores nd combinations of the three.   Clocks itself do not change IPC.

Erm, no. Can any AMD do 5GHz at any point? No. Intel can. So, how are you going to compare IPC clock to clock when AMD can't do 5GHz at all? By downclocking Intel to 4 point something? Yeah, no. Sure you get raw IPC metric that way, but you don't get realistic performance numbers. And that's the point I was making. Intel might not have class leading IPC, but they make up for that with clock. For now. They can't just increase clocks to infinity though as 5GHz is already stupid high for a clock...