Next level E-sport? Tour of Flanders goes Virtual!

The_Hawkeye

Sources: 

Announcement - https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2020/04/02/tour-of-flanders-becomes-virtual-race/

Winner - https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/52175417

Summary: 

The race was scheduled to be held in Belgium on Sunday, but was postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The virtual Tour of Flanders is an initiative of organiser Flanders Classics and the VRT’s sports website Sporza. 13 riders will compete against each other from home completing the last 32 kilometres of the race. The event’s regular commentators will provide commentary on VRT TV and on the webcast.

The virtual 30km course was streamed live on YouTube and the VRT media platforms

It covered the final three climbs of the real-life 267.2km route, with live video links to all the participating riders.

Virtual Tour of Flanders on YouTube

I wouldn't trust it too much:

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

21 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I wouldn't trust it too much:

My idea of e-sports,  cheating is a bit harder.

https://www.fiaformulae.com/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

Is this the same Electric race that offers the audience to vote for which car gets a boost?

I don't know that much about it except the race itself is fun to watch and the tech they put into the cars is very exciting to me.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I don't know that much about it except the race itself is fun to watch and the tech they put into the cars is very exciting to me.

Yeah that's good... but the last I head, because it's electric, and because they want to drum up support/interest and because nowhere seems immune from corruption, they were letting people download an app in the audience (ticket holders only) and vote for a car after a few laps, and it got an actual extra boost (like the MERS system for petrol cars they were understandably limiting how many engine mods/boosts the designers could use). But it means the audience can vote a material and actual unfair advantage to one or a couple of the racers.

Any "competition" like that is corrupt in my opinion. And shows sadly how people really think inside.

Yep, here it is: https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/championship/fanboost

It's not cheating if the rule book says your allowed to throw the match! 🤦‍♂️:)(Saddest thing is, I've watched two intelligent friends defend it, because their emotional and personal investment in the F1 is so large, they'd not notice if the F1 teams took their first born children to eat in a BBQ. :P )

PS, 5 drivers and wow, I see no mention of needing a ticket/proof... so I *wonder* how that never ever ever gets hacked or abused in any possible way. ;)

Granted, means the top 5 drivers (which could be just 3 teams as often 2 cars per team) are getting a boost... but means you're pretty much *insert abusive words here* from getting close to catching up if your not in the favourites club. 🧐 A bit like some of the older scandals in bike riding/other sports where drug use was brushed under the carpet because fame/fortune/etc but now is all being kicked out.

28 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Yeah that's good... but the last I head, because it's electric, and because they want to drum up support/interest and because nowhere seems immune from corruption, they were letting people download an app in the audience (ticket holders only) and vote for a car after a few laps, and it got an actual extra boost (like the MERS system for petrol cars they were understandably limiting how many engine mods/boosts the designers could use). But it means the audience can vote a material and actual unfair advantage to one or a couple of the racers.

Any "competition" like that is corrupt in my opinion. And shows sadly how people really think inside.

It's not cheating if the rule book says your allowed to throw the match! 🤦‍♂️:)(Saddest thing is, I've watched two intelligent friends defend it, because their emotional and personal investment in the F1 is so large, they'd not notice if the F1 teams took their first born children to eat in a BBQ. :P )

PS, 5 drivers and wow, I see no mention of needing a ticket/proof... so I *wonder* how that never ever ever gets hacked or abused in any possible way. ;)

Granted, means the top 5 drivers (which could be just 3 teams as often 2 cars per team) are getting a boost... but means you're pretty much *insert abusive words here* from getting close to catching up if your not in the favourites club. 🧐 A bit like some of the older scandals in bike riding/other sports where drug use was brushed under the carpet because fame/fortune/etc but now is all being kicked out.

If all the competitors know about it and accept it as part of the challenge then I don't care.  

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

It's not like there aren't other boosts available throughout the race either though, and fan boost won't make you win a race without the merit of earning that possibility in the first place. And it's not even like the boost is that good either, Formula E you have set battery capacity for the race now so it's more important to manage energy output to last the race than get a short boost at great energy consumption.

Unlike fan boost which only last 5 seconds Attack Mode is far more useful.

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/championship/attack-mode

You have to finish to win.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's not like there aren't other boosts available throughout the race either though, and fan boost won't make you win a race without the merit of earning that possibility in the first place. And it's not even like the boost is that good either, Formula E you have set battery capacity for the race now so it's more important to manage energy output to last the race than get a short boost at great energy consumption.

Unlike fan boost which only last 5 seconds Attack Mode is far more useful.

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/championship/attack-mode

You have to finish to win.

You know the best way to get away with a con?

38 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

You know the best way to get away with a con?

Doesn't really matter, you don't like the race format doesn't make it a con. Forumla E is not won by fan vote or fan boost. Formula E is far less a con than most other FIA leagues where there is a direct relationship between budget and wins and an ever decreasing degree of competitive engaging racing, the only con here is not seeing how bad racing is today and thinking that is better than Formula E which is actually worth watching if you don't want to see a start to end race of zero position changes or ones only caused by mechanical failure.

I'd rather watch 1990s reruns of the BTCC than F1 of today.