Looking for something odd.

Naveronasis

Is there a relatively current NOT blower style card that runs kind of hot in the 100-200 dollar range? I was thinking of doing some case reviews and I'm trying to build a low-cost system that produces above average heat to sort of get real world comparable results by transplanting the same system to various cases then loading them with a specific set of fans to compare. It's going to be more than just "graphs" opinions about how nice it is to build in and features will be included ill leave the hardcore laboratory stuff to gamers nexus. Anyway, none of that is important. I just need to find a graphics card that recirculates heat into the case and produces a decent amount of it, without breaking the bank or requiring a massive overclock.

You could probably find an RX5xx or 4xx in that budget. From  what I heard they made a lot of heat, especially 480s. Never had any of them, just an idea.

F@H    EOC

Yeah I thought maybe I could just look up power consumption statistics because power basically is heat, but It's been hard finding a decent "list" compiled in one place. But those did come to mind.

In that budget, an example of an RX 580 with an open air style cooler would probably be the best bet.  The RX 580 has a TDP of 185w, compared to 150w for the 480.  If you really want a furnace of a gpu with an open air cooler, some versions of the R9 290x were available configured as such.  The 290x has a TDP of 290w.  Here's a used example with an open air cooler on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-R9-290X-4GB-GDDR5-Dual-DVI-D-HDMI-DP-TRI-X-OC-Version-PCI-Express-GPU/202956296143?hash=item2f41234fcf:g:UDQAAOSwFnleiSDN

I wonder if they ever made a 290x with a dual fan so I can test smaller cases too. Good one.

10 minutes ago, Naveronasis said:

I wonder if they ever made a 290x with a dual fan so I can test smaller cases too. Good one.

It actually looks like there were a few.  The reference design was a 12" card length, but techpowerup has a handy table that shows variations on the card design: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r9-290x.c2460  MSI and ASUS both have a number of cards using an open air cooler in a shorter length.

Here's an MSI: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-Graphics-Card-R9-290X-GAMING-4G-Video-Card/254116992562?hash=item3b2a8d9632:g:--AAAOSwaAlcX3IE

Just for fun, you could go for a 7990 if you want something overkill, or a gtx 480 if you can find a non-blower one (or if you can find one at all).

If you want something easily available and current, a rx590 should do the job.

Another option from the last gen would be any of the Fury cards (regular, nano or X), Vega ones (56 or 64) or a 390.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, igormp said:

Just for fun, you could go for a 7990 if you want something overkill, or a gtx 480 if you can find a non-blower one (or if you can find one at all).

If you want something easily available and current, a rx590 should do the job.

Another option from the last gen would be any of the Fury cards (regular, nano or X), Vega ones (56 or 64) or a 390.

or a 7950gx2 :D I love those thing's I want one to use as a decoration.

1 minute ago, Naveronasis said:

or a 7950gx2 :D I love those thing's I want one to use as a decoration.

I miss the days where manufacturers just went ball to the walls with such things haha

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I had an nvidia msi twinfrozr gtx 470 that ran quite hot ... well the gpu temps were not that bad, always under 75,  but it generated a lot of heat and I had warm feet while gaming during winter.  That twinfrozr cooler was quite good at moving hot air.  I now have an rx 590 and, even if the reported temps are about the same as the gtx 470, I can assure you that my feet now feels colder.  Maybe try to find an old gtx 400 series as they are supposed to be outputting some serious heat.  

r9 fury are supposed to do that quite well too.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD