Confused about buying or not buying a new PSU.

blackviking03
1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Not a PSU I would ever suggest using.

That's GP3 *Bronze* you're looking at. OP's Silver version is DC-DC and correct me if i'm wrong also half-bridge + LLC (overall looks somewhat close to Corsair CSm\TXm with some costdowns) :

407374075_6-630.28219164141.jpg.18089b2c7c4c4552851dde0ed0b48554.jpg

https://www.tech-review.de/include.php?path=content/articles.php&contentid=16534&page=4

But other points are valid, it's not great PSU but not terrible either, perfectly okay for OP's config if they don't plan to upgrade this PC to smth higher-end than GTX1660S they've mentioned and confident in their mains electricity quality (because of 230V only APFC stage).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

That's GP3 *Bronze* you're looking at. OP's Silver version is DC-DC

Looks at the specs he posted.  470W on the +12V rail.  That's not a PSU with DC to DC.

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Looks at the specs he posted.  470W on the +12V rail.  That's not a PSU with DC to DC.

Looks like they just forgot to swap the label from Bronze version (it's the same in both reviews of it too), as we see DC-DC inside. And it's not some ancient multi-rail platform either as you could think looking at this version of the label :
860223814_g97-91.thumb.jpg.f8f6fd7220a6f962a4bd040303be082d.jpg

Maybe it's not 230V only too, who knows.

And even math is wrong lol, 44A * 12V is 528W, not 470W. I mean, they could come up with 470W if it were group-reg multi-rail as Bronze are, but since Silver are DC-DC single-rail, if it has 44A on 12V then it's not 470W. Also if you look at the second label OP posted in the first post (no idea where they got it from tho), it actually looks closer to what we would've expected from that HB+LLC+DC-DC platform.

Oh god, GP4 Gold has the same label LMAO.

So is this a GREEN LIGHT to KEEP IT & maybe upgrade in the near future OR a RED LIGHT and i should replace it?

11 hours ago, Juular said:

And even math is wrong lol, 44A * 12V is 528W, not 470W.

WHOA!  You don't know how multiple +12V rails work?  It doesn't matter if it's group regulated or has DC to DC.  It's (almost) always just one +12V rail with multiple circuits with their own OCP.

You never add +12V1 to +12V2 to get +12V total capability.  Those two numbers are always higher than their sum because they're sharing the same +12V source.

Example:

DSC_7804.jpg

35+35 = 70.  70*12 would be 840W.  The True Power 750W is not an 840W power supply.

7 hours ago, blackviking03 said:

So is this a GREEN LIGHT to KEEP IT & maybe upgrade in the near future OR a RED LIGHT and i should replace it?

I'm sticking with it being a garbage PSU.    80 PLUS Silver or not.  And I bet even that is fake simply because it's L&C brand.

15 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

WHOA!  You don't know how multiple +12V rails work?

Duh, why we're talking about that label that were obviously reused from Bronze version ? You can see yourself, in multiple reviews, that Silver version of GP3 uses Great Wall platform closely related to one in Corsair CSm (by the looks of it), half-bridge with LLC and DC-DC, who i'm even saying that, isn't that obvious ? I have no idea if that GW platform are actually multi-rail (you should be probably more informed on this) but i pretty sure it isn't. Way more plausible explanation on what we're seeing on the label would be just a fuckup of whoever decided to reuse the label from previous, Bronze revision of this PSU (or rather a completely different PSU for that matter), because we don't see Bronze version on their site anymore.

They're completely different inside but the labels are identical aside of efficiency rating :

image;s=644x461

s-l1600.jpg.7750e59c8ad21f3935fdea784312b6f6.jpg

Hmm ... actually it seems there were at least one different revisions of Silver version of GP3, with different GW platform, group regulated it seems ...

new.thumb.jpg.54d44a53f0ad35e6e42560823dd73601.jpg

https://www.hartware.de/2016/05/09/lc-power-lc6460gp3-460w/3/

@blackviking03, can you take a shot of PSU through exhaust and fan grilles so we can identify what platform it uses ?

12 hours ago, Juular said:

Looks like they just forgot to swap the label from Bronze version

22 minutes ago, Juular said:

Way more plausible explanation on what we're seeing on the label would be just a fuckup of whoever decided to reuse the label from previous, Bronze revision of this PSU

If they care so little they can't even be bothered to get the label right then how can you trust the PSU?

It wouldn't surprise me if the unit they sent reviewers was different to what they were shipping retail.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

If they care so little they can't even be bothered to get the label right then how can you trust the PSU?

It wouldn't surprise me if the unit they sent reviewers was different to what they were shipping retail.

That's possible indeed, we need shots from OP but i've found 7 reviews of GP3, 2 of them aren't Silver (either without rating or Bronze) and group regulated, 4 are Silver and DC-DC and one are Silver but group-regulated. With one review of DC-DC version being 2 years more recent than the rest.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

That's possible indeed, we need shots from OP but i've found 7 reviews of GP3, 2 of them aren't Silver (either without rating or Bronze) and group regulated, 4 are Silver and DC-DC and one are Silver but group-regulated. With one review of DC-DC version being 2 years more recent than the rest.

Will this work?

20200406_224604.jpg

20200406_224822.jpg

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

This.  This exactly.  All these shitty fly-by-night brands do this crap.  L&C, Aerocool, etc.  I can't trust any of them.

1 hour ago, blackviking03 said:

Will this work?

20200406_224604.jpg

20200406_224822.jpg

You need to dust more often.  😉

And just the fact that the PSU is "230V only".... I don't care if it's marketed as "80 PLUS Titanium".. it's still a warning sign.

10 hours ago, blackviking03 said:

Will this work?

Judging by the placement of that red X-cap and that slanted edge of the bridge rectifiers heatsink - it's DC-DC version, the good one.

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

And just the fact that the PSU is "230V only".... I don't care if it's marketed as "80 PLUS Titanium".. it's still a warning sign.

I mean it's not the fact if they just reused the label from way more inferior, previous version. This one can be full range but there's no telling, or rather i have no idea how to identify that just by looking at internals.

Where are you from anyway, OP ? How it's electricity quality in your region ?

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Judging by the placement of that red X-cap and that slanted edge of the bridge rectifiers heatsink - it's DC-DC version, the good one.

I mean it's not the fact if they just reused the label from way more inferior, previous version. This one can be full range but there's no telling, or rather i have no idea how to identify that just by looking at internals.

Where are you from anyway, OP ? How it's electricity quality in your region ?

Croatia, electricity is fine. Problems are really rare.

13 hours ago, Juular said:

It's not full range.  Efficiency requirements are higher for 230V Only, so if it were full range, they'd just slap an 80 PLUS Gold label on it and call it a day.

Undersized FETs and diodes can be a huge problem.   Even with good mains.  They run hotter and can explode.  I've had vendors try to "cheap out" on me and use a 20A rectifier and during DMTBF in the DVT phase, I'll have units blow up causing me to request them to upgrade to a 25A or 30A part and eat the cost adder (because "I told you so").

Sometimes larger heatsinks can help, but this thing does not look like it has relatively large heatsinks on the primary side.  Heck.. the bridge rectifier doesn't have a heatsink on it at all!  :D

EDIT:  The photo you shared does show there's a heatsink on the bridge rectifier.  So there's some comfort there.  Would be nice if we could actually see INSIDE OP's PSU.  His overhead photo only shows us that his PSU fan collects a lot of dust and not much more.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

His overhead photo only shows us that his PSU fan collects a lot of dust and not much more.

Assuming they didn't put there smth else than those three platforms above, it looks more like the good one which Corsair CSm uses. But yeah, actual photos of insides would help.

I can't open it because i will lose my warranty.

It literally says warranty void if removed on the sticker of the psu.

11 minutes ago, blackviking03 said:

How long it is ? I can't find any info on their warranty policy.

On 4/5/2020 at 2:02 PM, blackviking03 said:

I currently own a LC-Power 560W 80+ Silver Power Supply. (Sales guy offered it to me when i was building my first pc 2 years ago and i didn't quite know much about PSUs so i decided to take it because the price was really ok and the specs seemed alright.)

19 minutes ago, blackviking03 said:

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

How long it is ? I can't find any info on their warranty policy.

Knowing LC, probably only two years.

OP:  Is the PSU more than two years old?

12 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Knowing LC, probably only two years.

OP:  Is the PSU more than two years old?

It will be in July i think.