Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sahaj0321

HyperV Host with Ubuntu Guest with USB webcam passthrough

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone,

We have a 3D Printing server running on windows to manage and send files to said printers. We have used a second PC running Ubuntu running MJPEG streamer to use as a webcam server to monitor the prints. We no longer have access to the second PC and have tried to run ubuntu as a VM on HyperV. We got Ubuntu working, but we don't know how to get access to the webcam plugging into the host PC to work.

Thanks!

On 4/5/2020 at 2:46 PM, Sahaj0321 said:

Hello everyone,

We have a 3D Printing server running on windows to manage and send files to said printers. We have used a second PC running Ubuntu running MJPEG streamer to use as a webcam server to monitor the prints. We no longer have access to the second PC and have tried to run ubuntu as a VM on HyperV. We got Ubuntu working, but we don't know how to get access to the webcam plugging into the host PC to work.

Thanks!

@Sahaj0321:  Check this resource: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2102507-passthrough-integrated-webcam-to-hyper-v-guest

If you edit the Windows Policy (gpedit.msc) in that article, it will allow you to pass a webcam as a resource via RDP.  The issue I'm running into is that the Hyper-V RDP mechanism is not allowing me to choose that as a resource to my Ubuntu guest OS.  If you find a solution for this final mile, let me know.