Corsair Vs series

PetruM

Hello there guys I have been recently told that the corsaair Vs series are almost a fire hazard so I'm just making this to ask about it and how bad are they from people that have used  corsaair Vs series before to power a gaming pc.

4 minutes ago, PetruM said:

Hello there guys I have been recently told that the corsaair Vs series are almost a fire hazard so I'm just making this to ask about it and how bad are they from people that have used  corsaair Vs series before to power a gaming pc.

There are two VS series of PSU's.

The Orange series (2012 model) and Gray series (2017 model).

The gray model is 'meh, it's okay for an office system' at best. The orange series is actually really terrible.

Reviews from average customers is not really helpful with PSU's, as there is only two things an average customer can base their review on:

1. Is it not that loud?

2. Does it work? (yes/no question).

The latter point is of course not really helpful, since there are loads of different system you could be running.

A colleague of mine used to run an orange series VS650 and a GTX 1070 and the entire system (including PSU) is fine. After he heard of the generally poor quality of the VS series, he did change PSU. But what is that experience worth? Not much, since it's just one anecdotal experience.

There are better options for 20-30 USD more, meaning a VS PSU should almost never be considered for a gaming PC with videocard in it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I used a VS550 to power a decently specced gaming PC for a few years, temps were good and I have nothing bad to say about it (or the VS series in general). I only upgraded because someone gave me a 1100 XStrike unit for free.

5 minutes ago, PetruM said:

It really depends, you're just better off paying 10-20$ extra rather than cheaping out on a power supply because you don't really want to gamble with this kinds of part. If a lot of people say there's issues with it then get an EVGA 80+ bronze PSU as those are quite good and I haven't hard anything bad about them.

48 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

EVGA 80+ bronze PSU as those are quite good 

EVGA is a brand.  And they have about five or so Bronze efficiency models (just in the western world) and they're not all good.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

EVGA is a brand.  And they have about five or so Bronze efficiency models (just in the western world) and they're not all good.

There's actually about 17, and I haven't heard anything bad about any of them, so what's the point?

21 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

There's actually about 17, and I haven't heard anything bad about any of them, so what's the point?

17 Series?  My GOD!  EVGA has gone more out of control than I thought!

My point is, you can't just suggest a brand and assume it's good.  That goes for Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, etc. 

Every model is different that's why there are so many of them.

For example:  Find me a proper review of the BR Series.  Why is it only rated at 30°C and not at least 40°C like so many other PSUs?  Does it have a 3 year warranty because it uses a sleeve bearing fan or because of the Chinese capacitors?