Upgrade for my PC

Fadednova

I have had my PC for about 3 years and would like to upgrade it, I would like to play more VR and in the future purchase the valve index. I dont really have a budget but the absolute maximum is 1500 euros but I would prefer for it to be around 1300 euros. I live in Austria. Thanks in advance!

Old PC:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For €182.00
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For €213.00
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory Purchased For €78.00
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory Purchased For €78.00
Storage Western Digital Green 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For €55.00
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For €86.00
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING X Video Card Purchased For €355.30
Case Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For €143.00
Power Supply Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For €60.90
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total €1251.20
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-05 18:06 CEST+0200  

Upgrade Proposal:

I know it seems like a large update but I would like for it to last for about 5 years.

First off, why don't you buy the Memory in a single two stick kit? Like instead of buying them each separate, just buy a 2x8gb kit? I am not super familiar with European pricing but you can probably save a decent amount of money just by doing that. And I also would suggest getting a faster kit of memory. I am not sure how important it is with an Intel CPU, but maybe a 3200mHz kit would be better.

My only other suggestion would maybe be that the CPU is a little overkill. I am not super familiar with how Intel CPUs pair with certain graphics cards (I always suggest AMD lately), but the 9900k is a lot of CPU that you are paying a lot more for. I am not sure you will see that much more of a benefit from spending that extra money.

Just now, TheBahrbarian said:

First off, why don't you buy the Memory in a single two stick kit? Like instead of buying them each separate, just buy a 2x8gb kit? I am not super familiar with European pricing but you can probably save a decent amount of money just by doing that. And I also would suggest getting a faster kit of memory. I am not sure how important it is with an Intel CPU, but maybe a 3200mHz kit would be better.

My only other suggestion would maybe be that the CPU is a little overkill. I am not super familiar with how Intel CPUs pair with certain graphics cards (I always suggest AMD lately), but the 9900k is a lot of CPU that you are paying a lot more for. I am not sure you will see that much more of a benefit from spending that extra money.

I already own the ram, I bought 8 gigs at first then I got another stick later. I am still pretty sure that it is worth it to invest in a very good cpu. You can correct me though

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

The next generation Intel chips come off embargo on April 30th, any chance you can wait a couple weeks?

Of course! I anyway have to save up which will take like 2 months.

1 minute ago, Fadednova said:

I already own the ram, I bought 8 gigs at first then I got another stick later. I am still pretty sure that it is worth it to invest in a very good cpu. You can correct me though

I don't entirely disagree that it's worth it to spend the money on a good CPU, especially since you want this build to be relatively future proof. However I also don't think you see a huge performance improvement going from say, a $300 cpu to a $500+ cpu. 

For future proofing, I personally would suggest going AMD. Although they are not the ABSOLUTE best in gaming performance, they are much more well rounded processors. And AMD tends to support their sockets for longer, giving you an easy upgrade path down the line. In fact the reason I switched from Intel to AMD was because my old PC was bottle necked by my cpu, but there wasn't much of an upgrade path on my current socket. Just my two cents. 

warum nutz du nicht ryzen verkaufts das mobo und die cpu als bundle ist in meinen augen das bessere persöhnliche meinung

Just now, Applefreak said:

I'd go with a 9700k instead, the 9900k isn't worth it.

Ill probably go for the newer cpus that schwellmo92 recommended. 

Just now, Fadednova said:

Ill probably go for the newer cpus that schwellmo92 recommended. 

You'd have to change motherboard for that

Just now, boggy77 said:

und spätestens dann lohnt ryzen

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

And ill probably have to get better ram

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I would also have to get a new one for ryzen

1 hour ago, Fadednova said:

I would also have to get a new one for ryzen

Yeah but not for the 9900kf

I am not sure, buy you might want to upgrade to a 650W PSU, and that CPU is a bit too overkill. Better spending that money on the graphics card.