Mac mini 2018 vs MacBook Pro 16" 2019 - Is it worth the upgrade?

Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

That's 10% upgrade. At best, when every single CPU Core and Thread is beeing utalized by 100%.

Of course that's not worth, even if you only had to pay 500 Dollar for it.

Also, you still have a better Graphics, so if Adobe can use that, you can get more performance than what Cinebench shows you

Upgrade only, if you want a Notebook.

But i would wait for June WWDC. There's a Rumor of a 14" Macbook Pro, and probably a Macbook Pro 16 Refresh (10th Generation, maybe with luck even mini LED)

I currently own a Mac mini 2018, but I'm considering upgrading to a MacBook Pro 16" 2019. Is it worth the upgrade?

My current specs:

Mac mini 2018

3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

What I would upgrade to:

MacBook Pro 16" 2019

2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor

32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory

Since Macs are already expensive, and especially here in Sweden due to our very high taxes, this specification of the MacBook Pro 16" 2019 would cost me exactly 41249 SEK, which converted is 4044 US-dollar. If I sold my Mac mini, I would probably make about $1800 from it, which means that I would have to pay about $2243 for the upgrade.

I pretty much only use Adobe After Effects, which is really CPU-intensive (it pretty much never uses the GPU). When I run Cinebench R20 on my Mac mini, I get a score of 2937, and when searching around, I found that the MacBook Pro 16" 2019 2.3GHz 8‑core i9 gets a score of about 3300. Is it worth the upgrade?

1429827_Macmini2018i7CinebenchR20score.png.3986158b6d5d7f4ddb59a358d90b83fa.png

666234052_MacBookPro162019i9CinebenchR20score1.png.d34440f2368e3fee5b9bb6702512694e.png

MacBook Pro 16 2019 i9 Cinebench R20 score 2.png

That's 10% upgrade. At best, when every single CPU Core and Thread is beeing utalized by 100%.

Also, you still have a better Graphics, so if Adobe can use that, you can get more performance than what Cinebench shows you

But i would wait for June WWDC. There's a Rumor of a 14" Macbook Pro, and probably a Macbook Pro 16 Refresh (10th Generation, maybe with luck even mini LED)

Do you need a laptop? If you don't need a laptop, a desktop will be faster for the same price, or cheaper.

Do you need a mac? Aftereffects will run faster on windows(on the same hardware), and non mac hardware is normally cheaper. 

46 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you need a laptop? If you don't need a laptop, a desktop will be faster for the same price, or cheaper.

Do you need a mac? Aftereffects will run faster on windows(on the same hardware), and non mac hardware is normally cheaper. 

Yes I want a portable machine since I travel a lot. Actually I usually travel with my Mac mini, I just toss it into a my backpack and connect it to a monitor/TV when I arrive at the office/school/whatever. And yes I need a Mac since I use a lot of macOS-exclusives like GarageBand, Logic Pro X etc..

50 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Isn't it kind of weird? Even though it has 4 threads more, it only makes for a ≈10% difference. I thought the difference would be bigger between a 6 core i7 and 8 core i9... Well that's what benchmarks are for I guess: to show the ACTUAL performance difference.

I mean, the Mac Mini's processor is running a higher clock so that's going to mitigate some of the difference of the core count.

That's a tough call - that's a lot of $$$ but the 16" is awesome, and you do get a great display and you don't have to plug in a display and peripherals - you just pull the MacBook out of your bag and you work. If your current situation is working for you, I wouldn't rush to upgrade, unless you're looking to get into something that takes advantage of the GPU, like Final Cut Pro or After Effects.

2 hours ago, creat0r said:

I currently own a Mac mini 2018, but I'm considering upgrading to a MacBook Pro 16" 2019. Is it worth the upgrade?

My current specs:

Mac mini 2018

3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

What I would upgrade to:

MacBook Pro 16" 2019

2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor

32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory

Since Macs are already expensive, and especially here in Sweden due to our very high taxes, this specification of the MacBook Pro 16" 2019 would cost me exactly 41249 SEK, which converted is 4044 US-dollar. If I sold my Mac mini, I would probably make about $1800 from it, which means that I would have to pay about $2243 for the upgrade.

I pretty much only use Adobe After Effects, which is really CPU-intensive (it pretty much never uses the GPU). When I run Cinebench R20 on my Mac mini, I get a score of 2937, and when searching around, I found that the MacBook Pro 16" 2019 2.3GHz 8‑core i9 gets a score of about 3300. Is it worth the upgrade?

1429827_Macmini2018i7CinebenchR20score.png.3986158b6d5d7f4ddb59a358d90b83fa.png

666234052_MacBookPro162019i9CinebenchR20score1.png.d34440f2368e3fee5b9bb6702512694e.png

MacBook Pro 16 2019 i9 Cinebench R20 score 2.png

If you’re doing anything with the GPU it’s be worth it, remember the mini has a better thermal solution vs the pro so can run faster.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, creat0r said:

Isn't it kind of weird? Even though it has 4 threads more, it only makes for a ≈10% difference. I thought the difference would be bigger between a 6 core i7 and 8 core i9... Well that's what benchmarks are for I guess: to show the ACTUAL performance difference.

My take is... the Macbook has limited Cooling capabilities because of less space. That causes the 8 Cores to clock down in order to not become too hot, or consume too much power.

Example: The 8 Macbook Cores throttle down to 3,0 Ghz.

But your Mac Mini 6 Cores can manage 3,5 Ghz on 6 Cores.

It has 2 Cores less, but the 6 Cores it has, work faster than the Macbook Cores.