forza horizon 4 massive performance drop since nvme upgrade

apple-tech-geek
hello.

ever since i upgraded my os drive to a nvme drive and installed the game on said nvme drive.

forza horizon 4 works fine for like 5 minutes but then i get a solid 2 minutes of 8 fps with 20% gpu usage.
(average fps on maxed 1440p settings is between 70 and 90)

then after this Performance dip it runs fine again for 2 to 4 minutes with the problem repeating again

the terrain refuses to load and the game kicks you from online...

during this moment i noticed in task manager my gpu usage goes to 30/40% and my cpu usage shoot to 100%....

i'm running the game on maxed settings with a rtx 2070 and that ran perfectly fine for hours on end before....

it should not make the cpu go to 100% since it legit ran fine on this exact same hardware before the nvme drive...

any tips?

atm uploading a video to youtube wich shows task manager and the problem happening with multiple car configurations. (it says it
ll take like 50 min to upload)

my full specs are

xeon x5675 cpu in dual socket

56 gb of ram
rtx 2070 (not overclocked i tested that too)

this seems to be a forza specific problem since all the other games i've been benchmarking has had 0 problems..

red dead redemption 2 is also installed on said nvme drive and also maxed the settings and no problems whatsoever

loading times are ok and no popping textures ect ..

beamng drive wich is a more cpu heavy game wich "can" be hdd intensive on some levels also experienced no stability problems..

the gpu nor cpu is overheating after some monitoring

i at first thought maybe i need to put my pcie to nvme adapter in another slot wich i did with no change..

thank you in advance for all your help..

again i'll attach the video after its uploaded

here is the video showing the problem... sorry for the bad performance i havent fully setup OBS yet to have a steady fps. but you can use the audio and the fps counter in the top right to see the disaster starting

@apple-tech-geek  Can you provide the details of your NVMe drive? 

Also do you still have the original HDD in your system that had Horizon run fine on?   The first thing I would try is to move the game back to the original HDD and run it from there to see what happens.  

Is this a clean install of Windows or did you copy everything over? I ask this because a clean install might just nuke your GPU drivers. If you haven't already done so, try reinstalling your GPU drivers. Your GPU usage is a little more variable than I see on my own system even before yours tanks.

this is a clean install of windows.

because my rig does not boot from nvme naively i installed windows using vmware esxi and hardware forwarded the nvme drive to the vm.(this is done on the actual hw not another computer)

after install i installed all the drivers on a clean reboot bare metal..

i have the original drive before the upgrade.

the game was installed on the sata ssd before.

for the lols i moved the game from the c drive to my 2tb seagate drive where it was housed before with the same problems 

i'll see if my original ssd stil boots to test it out real quickly again.

some people are saying its a cpu bottleneck but like i've said.. this just started.

also the benchmark tool in fh4 says my gpu is a bottleneck. my cpu  "can" pull 140 fps in this game and all the frames are gpu limited 

3 hours ago, PyroTheWise said:

@apple-tech-geek  Can you provide the details of your NVMe drive? 

Also do you still have the original HDD in your system that had Horizon run fine on?   The first thing I would try is to move the game back to the original HDD and run it from there to see what happens.  

my nvme drive is a samsung 970 pro run on pcie 4x to nvme running at pcie gen 2 so a max of 2gbs a second for the drive

@apple-tech-geek

You basically just figured out what the problem is by yourself with the CPU usage spiking to 100%. You're clearly being bottle necked by your CPU. You need to upgrade in a major way. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

@apple-tech-geek

You basically just figured out what the problem is by yourself with the CPU usage spiking to 100%. You're clearly being bottle necked by your CPU. You need to upgrade in a major way. 

but.. that shouldn't be the problem...

i ran this fine before. all that changed is a week  a os reinstall and a nvme drive.

i ran this game before on a hp z600 wich also uses 2 x58 cpu's but has less ram slots but never had a problem on that system (although no nvme was involved)

anyways i tried to boot the old ssd but windows complained about a missing boot device.

atm re-downloading the game since the microsoft store does not have a verify file feature like steam does..

33 minutes ago, apple-tech-geek said:

but.. that shouldn't be the problem...

i ran this fine before. all that changed is a week  a os reinstall and a nvme drive.

i ran this game before on a hp z600 wich also uses 2 x58 cpu's but has less ram slots but never had a problem on that system (although no nvme was involved)

anyways i tried to boot the old ssd but windows complained about a missing boot device.

atm re-downloading the game since the microsoft store does not have a verify file feature like steam does..

Well whenever you make upgrades to one part of your computer, if some other part of your computer isn't up to the same standard as that component you just upgraded, then it will lag behind. This is why they call it a bottle neck. Your storage device is pumping out data at a rate your CPU cannot handle. This is why you are now having issues where you didn't before. You can't raise the standard for performance on one part of your computer without doing the same for the rest of your computer. You're basically just asking for trouble. With Intel CPU's, I always used the more mid tier ones to compare and contrast, like the I7-4790K, which is still a half decent CPU barring you aren't doing other strenuous tasks in the background while gaming, like streaming. For a budget Intel PC, I wouldn't be willing to go any lower than that for gaming, if even that. Your CPU doesn't even compare to that card despite it having a higher core and thread count. It is an ancient fossil and you need to upgrade, that's what your task manager itself is trying to tell you with the 100% usage rate. 

Link: Xeon X5690 vs I7-4790K

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10