Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EGadz

Is this good enough?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, people.

 

Been indulging in YouTube videos about tech since the lockdown and am really interested in getting a high performance computer that'll handle multi-tasking, streaming/editing/gaming/etc, basically anything I throw at it, it should manage. I would love some input to see if this configuration of a computer is over-kill/under-kill/wrong parts/etc to see if I can maximize performance and minimize any unnecessary or stupid costs. So far this is the configuration from PCSPECIALISTS:

 

Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 680X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24 Core CPU (3.8GHz - 4.5GHz, 142MB CACHE)
Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi 6: ATX, USB 3.2 - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive
1TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
2nd Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360R RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans
3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [MUP-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - 3 User, 1 Year
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)
 
Any input would be greatly appreciated :) <3
Link to post
Share on other sites

For gaming and even editing the CPU is very much overkill, as basically no game or editing software can utilize that many cores. A 3950x will preform basically the same in these scenarios. Also it really doesn't fit with the 5700xt because that's a mid range gpu with a HEDT processor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I'd say anywhere from £2,000 to £4,000, best performance for money and something to last a good number of years with ability to upgrade to stay up-to-date, for example, if what I've picked could be beaten by something less than £3,500, then that would be much better :) (£3,500 is what the set-up costs just now(

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EGadz said:

I'd say anywhere from £2,000 to £4,000, best performance for money and something to last a good number of years with ability to upgrade to stay up-to-date, for example, if what I've picked could be beaten by something less than £3,500, then that would be much better :) (£3,500 is what the set-up costs just now(

 

But what do you plan on doing with your pc exactly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks firstly for your input, I really appreciate your time.

 

As I said, I'm kinda looking at streaming/editing/gaming/something that is capable of handling multiple tasks at one time and will stand the test of time. I'm not exactly looking at having a super high end computer but more-so a very high mid-range type of computer that will perform the tasks, if you get what I mean. (hopefully being clear enough)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you this.... It sure ain't underkill lol. I wonder though, when spending all this why not a 2080 Ti or Super? A 2080 Ti ...sure it costs an arm and a leg but you get more GPU and VRAM. 11 GB I think..? A RX 5700 XT will not perform on the same level as the TR.


?TuringMachine?

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

 

Quote

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

  -Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

I can tell you this.... It sure ain't underkill lol. I wonder though, when spending all this why not a 2080 Ti or Super? A 2080 Ti ...sure it costs an arm and a leg but you get more GPU and VRAM. 11 GB I think..? A RX 5700 XT will not perform on the same level as the TR.

 

It's just the GPU that I have seen a lot of good reviews about, but I'll take that into consideration, as it's adding a further 500 quid to the bill, lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

overkill. my 8086k handles everything i throw at it. a cpu like your intended one should leave you good for a few years. i dont understand amd's gpu naming, but if thats 1060 equivalent or lower you need a better gpu. my cpu never gets to 100% use in games with my 1060 at 100% usage. 


main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887 gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

OS: ubuntu 16.04.6 

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/120 gb corsair force nvme 500

 

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EGadz said:

Thanks firstly for your input, I really appreciate your time.

 

As I said, I'm kinda looking at streaming/editing/gaming/something that is capable of handling multiple tasks at one time and will stand the test of time. I'm not exactly looking at having a super high end computer but more-so a very high mid-range type of computer that will perform the tasks, if you get what I mean. (hopefully being clear enough)

Ok, so if midrange will do you fine may I suggest something like so?

 

Ryzen 7 3800x 8-core 16-thread CPU or if you want more a Ryzen 9 3950x 16-core 32-thread CPU

X570 motherboard

32 or 16 GB RAM

RX 5700 XT if not a 2080 Ti/Super

Corsair RM 750x

 

What you think about this?

 

2 minutes ago, EGadz said:

It's just the GPU that I have seen a lot of good reviews about, but I'll take that into consideration, as it's adding a further 500 quid to the bill, lol

Lol I know mate. 😅 The above should save you some quids though.


?TuringMachine?

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

 

Quote

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

  -Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think the threadripper is overkill. 3950X is plenty. use your CPU savings for a 2080TI intel graphics card.


There is no right or wrong... only popular opinion, political correctness, and government edict.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, EGadz said:

I'd say anywhere from £2,000 to £4,000, best performance for money and something to last a good number of years with ability to upgrade to stay up-to-date, for example, if what I've picked could be beaten by something less than £3,500, then that would be much better :) (£3,500 is what the set-up costs just now(

 

This will destroy that in most applications and it costs less than 3500:

I still think its more than you probably need but if that's your budget than this is what I would recommend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Ok, so if midrange will do you fine may I suggest something like so?

 

Ryzen 7 3800x 8-core 16-thread CPU or if you want more a Ryzen 9 3950x 16-core 32-thread CPU

X570 motherboard

32 or 16 GB RAM

RX 5700 XT if not a 2080 Ti/Super

Corsair RM 750x

 

What you think about this?

 

Lol I know mate. 😅 The above should save you some quids though.

I'll try to configure this and see what price it is, what about cooling/case etc?

 

2 minutes ago, Anus_McSphincter said:

I also think the threadripper is overkill. 3950X is plenty. use your CPU savings for a 2080TI intel graphics card.

I think that's a great point.

 

As a note: I'm legit coming from an Dell Inspiron 3537 xD

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Mr. PC said:

 

 

That looks awesome, I really appreciate your time! IF anyone else would have further suggestions to this package, it'd be cool to hear!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EGadz said:

I'll try to configure this and see what price it is, what about cooling/case etc?

 

I think that's a great point.

 

As a note: I'm legit coming from an Dell Inspiron 3537 xD

Cooling depends, do you want air or water cooling? If air maybe the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 but it needs a big case to fit. Water I would go for a 360 radiator but I never used watercooling for myself so it's hard to say exactly which. If you don't want to spend too much on a cooler the Dark Rock 4 is very good and silent even at full blast. I can easily recommend that as I use it myself.


?TuringMachine?

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

 

Quote

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

  -Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Cooling depends, do you want air or water cooling? If air maybe the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 but it needs a big case to fit. Water I would go for a 360 radiator but I never used watercooling for myself so it's hard to say exactly which. If you don't want to spend too much on a cooler the Dark Rock 4 is very good and silent even at full blast. I can easily recommend that as I use it myself.

 

 

What I'm'a do is compare both builds and really bring it down to what I'll use it for.

 

I'm not sure what cooling to go with, so, any kinda further advice is always welcome!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

dont understand amd's gpu naming, but if thats 1060 equivalent or lower you need a better gpu.

It's an RTX 2070 equivalent I think. My RX580 is a 1060 equivalent i believe, although iit also handles everything I throw at it.


Sometimes, I dream about cheese

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr. PC said:

This is a very strong machine, OP if you get something like this you will have it for a long long time. It is far beyond midrange lol but if it is within your budget then as I said you will have that machine for a long time without needing any upgrades apart from maybe additional SSD/hard drives.

 

Just now, doinurmop said:

It's an RTX 2070 equivalent I think. My RX580 is a 1060 equivalent i believe, although iit also handles everything I throw at it.

Yep 2070 equivalent. I think the RX580 is maybe more equivalent with 1070. At least if it has 8GB memory, I may be wrong though.


?TuringMachine?

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

 

Quote

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

  -Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

 

 

 

 

here is sweet looking white build with the most high end white gpu for gaming

 


|Ryzen 7 3700x || Asus strix 5700 XT || Asus strix x570-E || G.skill tridentZ Neo 32gb 3666mhz cl16-19-19-19-39 || cooler master ml360 RGB AIO || Kolink Horizon RGB || Thermaltake grand rgb 750w 80+gold psu || samsung 250 gb ssd || toshiba 5400rpm 1tb hdd || HyperX cloud alpha || Corsair k55 || Asus gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz ||   QUOTE ME, FOR ANSWER.       USA partpicker lists for different budgets:Partpicker (1).pdf

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NJ6kzN

Read this: 

 

 

 

 

 

 Partpicker (1).pdf

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Yep 2070 equivalent. I think the RX580 is maybe more equivalent with 1070. At least if it has 8GB memory, I may be wrong though.

Yeah it's one of the two, I have the XTR 8GB version, XTR version is apparently supposed to be a little more powerful? (than a regular rx580) very small amount tho. It's definitely a good card on a budget, bought it to replace one that died.

 

Amd's drivers are cancer sometimes tho.


Sometimes, I dream about cheese

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

This is a very strong machine, OP if you get something like this you will have it for a long long time. It is far beyond midrange lol but if it is within your budget then as I said you will have that machine for a long time without needing any upgrades apart from maybe additional SSD/hard drives.

 

Yep 2070 equivalent. I think the RX580 is maybe more equivalent with 1070. At least if it has 8GB memory, I may be wrong though.

 

It's literally a one time investment that I intend to last for a long time, this is why I'm willing to spend a bit on the computer to save additional money in future, y'know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SavageNeo said:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

 

 

 

 

here is sweet looking white build with the most high end white gpu for gaming

 

Uhhh you accidentally linked the general list not your own list... You have to use the link just above the build

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EGadz said:

 

 

What I'm'a do is compare both builds and really bring it down to what I'll use it for.

 

I'm not sure what cooling to go with, so, any kinda further advice is always welcome!

Well I prefer air cooling myself, I tend to think it will make me sleep better at night lol. So if you are like me I would say either the one I got the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 or the over the top Dark Rock 4 Pro. I don't think there is an insane amount of cooling difference between them but the Pro version sure looks good! It comes with a price premium though. If you want water I'm sure the Corsair radiator Mr.PC provided in his list will do a great job.

 

2 minutes ago, EGadz said:

 

It's literally a one time investment that I intend to last for a long time, this is why I'm willing to spend a bit on the computer to save additional money in future, y'know?

Yeah totally mate, replacing parts gets expensive in the long run. There are new video cards that should start to come out in the coming summer though, so if you can you may want to wait for that? It's the Nvidia RTX 3000 series, I think they will start with the 3080 Ti.


?TuringMachine?

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

 

Quote

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

  -Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry my bad haha

 

white build in my opinion looks better than black. Just my opinion thought

 

 


|Ryzen 7 3700x || Asus strix 5700 XT || Asus strix x570-E || G.skill tridentZ Neo 32gb 3666mhz cl16-19-19-19-39 || cooler master ml360 RGB AIO || Kolink Horizon RGB || Thermaltake grand rgb 750w 80+gold psu || samsung 250 gb ssd || toshiba 5400rpm 1tb hdd || HyperX cloud alpha || Corsair k55 || Asus gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz ||   QUOTE ME, FOR ANSWER.       USA partpicker lists for different budgets:Partpicker (1).pdf

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NJ6kzN

Read this: 

 

 

 

 

 

 Partpicker (1).pdf

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×