Add a new graphics card to my excisting PC

SyraxGaming

Hi there

First of all my english is not my first language so im sorry if somethings comes out rude or pushy i dont mean it :/

I want to add a secondary graphics card (RTX 2070 super) to my excisting gaming rig that is already 5 years old so that i can play some VR games and other graphics intensive games with RTX. How is this going to work because i dont really know. Thanks in advance :)

The specs are:

CPU: intel i7 7700k 4.2GHz overcloaked to 5GHz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G

SSD: Kingston 480 GB

RAM: 2x8 GB HyperXfury 2400 MHz overcloaked to 3100 MHz

Motherboard: MSI Z270-A pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M 80+ bronze

Why use the RTX 2070 as secondary? There will be no benefit. Can sell the GTX 1060.

Get rid of the 1060 and simply install the 2070 super. There is no reason to keep both.

19 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

Why use the RTX 2070 as secondary? There will be no benefit. Can sell the GTX 1060.

I mean use the RTX 2070 then as my primary and GTX 1060 as secondary for programs like CAD and other engineering programs that requeres a decent graphicscard

15 minutes ago, SyraxGaming said:

I mean use the RTX 2070 then as my primary and GTX 1060 as secondary for programs like CAD and other engineering programs that requeres a decent graphicscard

That's pointless and will only create issues. Sell the 1060 or give it to a friend and use the 2070S so as to avoid driver/software issues

6 hours ago, SyraxGaming said:

I agree with the above.  I can't see why you would need both.  You for sure will need a new power supply and I can't see the benefit.  Two different cards will not link together well if at all because the have 2 different systems for linking (no NVlink on the 1060) you will be limited by the RAM of the smaller card... probably some other things I can't think of and it just sounds like it would make your system unstable.  If you are not going to link them, then why would you use the 1060 for something that the 2070 Super can do just fine?  Unless its for a separate system.  Do your engineering things on one system and while your work is rendering... go game on the other?