3d printer extruder help!!!

Jstagzsr

i just got my first 3d printer in the mail this morning... It's now almost 8pm.. which means after about 2 hours of putting it together, an hour of leveling, and another hour learning the basics of Cura, i made a 10mm X10mm X 10mm cube just to see if it worked before i got anything crazy going... It did not... its been probably 9 or 10 hours of dicking around with this thing... It will not extrude at all.. So i started ANOTHER print and pushed the filament barely into the hole just now to see if the extruder was moving at all.. and i noticed the problem... the extruder is working alright... backwards.. when it tries to print, the extruder retracts the filament and it just sits there spinning backwards the whole time.. if i hold the filament into the hole as its trying to print i can feel the wheel with the teeth in the extruder spining and pushing the filament in the wrong direction... this is a stepper motor.. which means i cant just wire it backwards and fix the problem..

How in the hell do i make the extruder spinin the right direction?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

What model 3D Printer are you using?

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, Adorable Cat said:

What model 3D Printer are you using?

its a clone.

Prusa i3 Reprap
MK8 Extruder
MK3 heatbed

Try using Prusa Slicer and making a test print. If it works it's probably something wrong with Cura. If it doesn't and the extruder motor still goes the wrong way, try updating the printer's firmware (guide here https://help.prusa3d.com/en/guide/upgrading-the-firmware-v1-6_24720)

edit according to https://3dprinting.stackexchange.com/questions/1362/extruder-is-running-backwards  you can just reverse the power to the stepper and it'll work.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, Adorable Cat said:

Try using Prusa Slicer and making a test print. If it works it's probably something wrong with Cura. If it doesn't and the extruder motor still goes the wrong way, try updating the printer's firmware (guide here https://help.prusa3d.com/en/guide/upgrading-the-firmware-v1-6_24720)

ill try that. ty

update: I snipped the plug off and wired the wires backwards and now it works amazingly well for an 89$ fully ready to go (besides initial. assembly) 3d printer.

6 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Alternatively you could have fixed it by:

- firmware

- assembling the extruder the other way around

- removing the housing of the connector and flipping the it

- removing the wires from the plug and flipping them

i tried to remove the wires from the plug. that was my first thought. i couldnt find anything small enough to fit in those teeny tiny holes to hit the little flap thing to unlock em from the holes. And it wasnt till after that (while looking at pix of the MK8 extruder to find a parts blower fan to print) that i realized that the whole assembly is backwards from all the other pictures.. that whole rail came pre-assembled though so i assumed it was right. But thanks for the tips anyway. This is an awesome hobby ive been following for years and finally got in to. I'm already loving it! the literal cheapest 3d printer on the market and im amazed at the precision. I'm used to a 3d pen where everything is sloppy and fat lines and variations in the line thicknesses, etc.. So this is awesome!!