Good sub-£100 headphones? (And opinions on current choices)

doinurmop

Yo I'm looking for some Open-backed (preferablly) headphones to upgrade upon my current koss porta-pros. 

Probs gonna need a big soundstage as I want to use them for gaming mainly, but also for listening to music. Also need to hear footsteps and where they're coming from in R6S.

The current choices I've found so far are

Open

Sennhesier 559

Philips SHP9500 (last resort since shipping is like 40 days rn)

DTX 910

Grado SR60E

Closed

Cooler Master MH752 (Not big on gaming headsets but apparently these are good?)

I was wondering your opinions on the current choices, and maybe some more suggestions?

(Also don't have an amp, plan to get one far in the future but not right now)

Sometimes, I dream about cheese

14 minutes ago, doinurmop said:

Yo I'm looking for some Open-backed (preferablly) headphones to upgrade upon my current koss porta-pros. 

Probs gonna need a big soundstage as I want to use them for gaming mainly, but also for listening to music. Also need to hear footsteps and where they're coming from in R6S.

The current choices I've found so far are

Open

Sennhesier 559

Philips SHP9500 (last resort since shipping is like 40 days rn)

DTX 910

Grado SR60E

Closed

Cooler Master MH752 (Not big on gaming headsets but apparently these are good?)

I was wondering your opinions on the current choices, and maybe some more suggestions?

(Also don't have an amp, plan to get one far in the future but not right now)

1. Status Audio CB-1 -  Super comfy, sound great for the price.

2. NVX XPT 100's  -  Very Neutral headphone good for monitoring etc VERY COMFORTABLE

3. Audio Technica M40x w/ HM5 Angled pad mod  -  You have to do the pad mod to make them good but these sound fantastic for just about anything these are my go to closed back setup when im not using my open back headphones.  Gun shots and explosions sound excellent. 

If you want more info on these headphones or (Senn HD558's, HD6xx/650) I own or have owned all of them and can help with any questions just pm me.

https://www.status.co/products/cb1

https://nvx.com/xpt100-studio-over-ear-headphones/

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=m40x&qid=1586042772&sr=8-1

Ear pads: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cushion-earmuff-Brainwavz-Headphones/dp/B06Y262HJ6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=hm5+angled+pads&qid=1586042839&sr=8-2

OR

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Philips-Replacement-Earpads-Headphones/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=hm5+angled+pads&qid=1586042854&sr=8-1

EDIT: If your going open back for the phillips and wait or go with a solid set of closed backs such as the status audio cb1s or m40x w/ pads.

@doinurmop  I play competitive CSGO and have never felt at a disadvantage with footsteps etc using my m40x with the angled pads they truly are a great all rounder.  Do the m40x have the footstep sensitivity as my senn hd558's? No but they are damn good with the angled pads and like i said I never felt at a disadvantage.

fort sub $!00 open backs for music and gamin I really like the hd 599 personally. not as good as phillipo sfor gaming but muhc more enjoyable for me for music. as the phillips really lack any low and the treble can end up sounding too harsh

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

fort sub $!00 open backs for music and gamin I really like the hd 599 personally. not as good as phillipo sfor gaming but muhc more enjoyable for me for music. as the phillips really lack any low and the treble can end up sounding too harsh

Sadly the HD599 are a bit over, £150 or so on amazon. £180 for black ones.

And yeah I've heard the phillips are great for gaming, but the shipping and lack of low end would defo bother me.

Just now, doinurmop said:

Sadly the HD599 are a bit over, £150 or so on amazon. £180 for black ones.

And yeah I've heard the phillips are great for gaming, but the shipping and lack of low end would defo bother me.

oops sorry I meant the 559 I miss typed it. 

Just now, rice guru said:

oops sorry I meant the 559 I miss typed it. 

Ahh okay.  How's the soundstage and spatial awareness on them when gaming then if i may ask?

Just now, doinurmop said:

Ahh okay.  How's the soundstage and spatial awareness on them when gaming then if i may ask?

they are above average somwhat open not as wide as the phillips and not as good in games like I said but at this price point some compromises have to be made. 

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

they are above average somwhat open not as wide as the phillips and not as good in games like I said but at this price point some compromises have to be made. 

Still probs better at it than my porta pros tbh. And yeah, just dont wanna risk buying that phillips, waiting 40 days, disliking it then having to wait for the refund, would be annoyingg.

Thanks for the info tho!