Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

What's the chance of lightning damaging my PC?

Practically non-existent unless it's frequently storming and your building sucks. Even then it's still not the most likely occurrence.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone, today my friend told me that whenever it starts lightning I should unplug my PC and unplug all cables connected to it to protect it from being destroyed if lightning strikes our building, but what I want to know is what's the chance of that happening? and during lightning and raining I stay home to play games, so if I unplug my PC I won't be able to play games, Here's our location and how the cables go in our apartment...

So I live in the 12th floor which is the top apartment floor in our building, above it there's the final floor which is the inventory of the building... And the hotline cable stretches outside the building all the way to the nearest hotline box (the nearest hotline box is literally 7 meters apart from our building), The hotline cable is nearly 70 meters long, that hotline cable is connected to the router to provide the apartment with internet because internet in Egypt is connected to hotline, then there's the Ethernet cable that goes from the router to my PC, it's about 8 meters long, and now there's the Powerstrip  that I got my power supply cable and monitor cable and speakers cable connected to, that powerstrip is plugged to the wall, the wall plug is connected to home anti surge unit...

That's pretty much how it goes in our house for my PC, So what's the chance of lightning damaging my PC when it strikes our building? and is it worth it to unplug my PC while it's lightning?

Im pretty sure a building that high invests in lightning rods so i guess you are somewhat safe? Im not sure though since lightning is pretty rare in my place (the last lightning i heard was 4 months ago at the least.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3200 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G502 Hero
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

A few years ago, I had a DSL internet connection and my PC was connected with ethernet.

One fine rainy day, lightning hit the telephone exchange (which is less than a kilometer from my home) and destroyed my modem and my ethernet port.

I consider myself very lucky that it didn't destroy the entire PC.

That being said, chances of it hitting your building and running down a power line is very rare.

Posted · Best Answer

Practically non-existent unless it's frequently storming and your building sucks. Even then it's still not the most likely occurrence.

A girl who loves to love.

1 minute ago, MartinKweh said:

Im oretty sure a building that high invests in lightning rods so i guess you are somewhat safe? Im not sure though since lightning is pretty rare in my place (the last lightning i heard was 4 months ago at the least.

I think it doesn't have any rods, also I sometimes go to my grandma's apartment, I spend a week with her, I of course take my PC with me there, her building is only 3 floors with a 4th floor as rooftop, But the wiring there is kinda similar to the one at my family's apartment, so my PC is less likely to be damaged there because there's less probability of lightning strike, right?

3 minutes ago, Aimi said:

Since our building doesn't "suck" and it doesn't frequently storm here, guess I am safe then? thanks for the simple answer

It isn't much the building, but more if the lightning strikes powerlines or telecom equipment in the vicinity.

I do disconnect my PC and modem (and other expensive equipment) when there's a storm and I'm there.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

It isn't much the building, but more if the lightning strikes powerlines or telecom equipment in the vicinity.

I do disconnect my PC and modem (and other expensive equipment) when there's a storm and I'm there.

And how do you play video games when that happens?

You should really be using a surge protector. They're cheap and will protect your PC from a vast majority of lightning effects. If you have storms in the area there will be power surges.

A direct lightning strike is very unlikely and unless the equipment is extremely vital, it's probably not worth unplugging. There is no way to fully protect from a direct lightning strike. If lightning strikes a building it can jump across rooms as it finds a pathway to the ground. Lightning rods and such help but they are not absolute. Additionally the massive electric field permeates everything and can induce voltages and current in otherwise isolated equipment. Simply unplugging things helps but won't fully protect it.

Not highly probable but definitely happens and definitely causes irreparable damage to appliances.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2018/07/21/cgb-lightning-sends-electric-surge-on-wild-path-into-logandale-home-frying-electronics/#.XolQ23IRW70

You only need one bolt to hit the power lines and cause a surge, even if that is a 1 in a 100 year experience for your area.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

It depends on your grid. In the city, you're probably alright. My grandparents have a cottage out in the country and we've blown out a lot of electronics due to power surges. Again, this is going to be highly dependant on your area as just being in a rural area is no guarantee of danger. My house was once struck by lightning and a bunch of our electronics fried, but none of the computers. As a result, I unplug all my expensive electronics at night, but I'm probably overly cautious.

While the chances of a direct hit on a house is pretty low, it still can happen. You are more likely to get a damaging surge from a hit on a power line. Although that's still fairly unlikely, again, it still can happen. It's up to you to decide how much risk you wish to take or avoid vs. the cost and/or hassle of adding extra protections.

I have a whole house surge protector on my home plus local surge protection for each appliance or appliance group. The computer gear get additional surge protection through a UPS.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Just invest in a good surge protectors if you're worried.

Like this one

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000JE9LD4

Or this one
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017VXU6GG/

Or really, whichever other kind you can find that has a relatively high Joule protection rating. Which means, avoid cheap garbage from no name brands or the dollar store.

Also, if it can protect Coax and Phone jacks, that's an added bonus since it will protect your modems too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 hours ago, InfinityVive said:

And how do you play video games when that happens?

I don't. Find something else to do.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Just invest in a good surge protectors if you're worried.

Like this one

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000JE9LD4

Or this one
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017VXU6GG/

Or really, whichever other kind you can find that has a relatively high Joule protection rating. Which means, avoid cheap garbage from no name brands or the dollar store.

Also, if it can protect Coax and Phone jacks, that's an added bonus since it will protect your modems too.

Our house already got an anti-power surge unit...

2 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

So you have nothing to worry about then.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, InfinityVive said:

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

So you have nothing to worry about then.

Actually, that isn't completely true. A whole house surger arrestor will protect from most surges coming in on the power line but surges can be generated inside the house, usually from the start up and shutdown of large appliances. In addition to whole house house protection, more surge protection is needed at each device needing protection.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!