With DLSS 2.0 being released and the ability to upscale from lower resolution with minimal loss in quality, the 2070 should soon be able to keep up with the 5700 XT as it can render in a lower quality. In addition, it has the advantage of being able to leverage it's RT cores to provide Ray Tracing for future games - and with the new Xbox and PS supporting this too, we should see many new games have better implementation of ray tracing and current games being updated to support this (especially as DLSS 2.0 is no longer done by a per game requirement but rather globally by AI).

My question is as both cards are similarly priced, despite the 5700 XT having better performance currently - does DLSS 2.0 and support for ray tracing and future games supporting it, mean that the better choice would be the 2070 especially as AMD confirmed only the new RDNA 2 cards later in the year will support hardware accelerated ray tracing. Do you think the 2070 will be able to sufficiently upscale while using ray tracing via DLSS 2.0 to outperform the 5700 XT?

Thanks.

That's a lot of "Ifs", "ands" and "buts" - in short, no. RTX is in an infant stage. the next generation will be a massive leap forward making the current RTX cores and capabilities almost entirely obsolete, save for the 2080 Super and 2080 Ti. As for DLSS, you still have quality reduction with it if you render at a lower resolution - it's not as egregious but it's not a fair comparison as it's, technically, lower quality. And I'd personally take my higher quality image at 60fps provided by the 5700 XT over the lower quality version, also at 60fps, provided by DLSS.

In short, 2070 Super or 5700 XT. The 2070 is already obsolete.

18 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

he next generation will be a massive leap forward making the current RTX cores and capabilities almost entirely obsolete

how are you so sure of that? I mean I dont dissagree that they will be faster but how are you so sure they would make the current RTX cores obsolete.. well in a sense they already are since they cant do much to begin with.. but is there any evidence that the coming generation will be vastly faster? 

23 minutes ago, julianperera said:

the 2070 should soon be able to keep up with the 5700 XT as it can render in a lower quality.

well rx 5700 xt can also render in a lower quality to bump the FPS its just a different implementation they call it Radeon Boost

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

how are you so sure of that? I mean I dont dissagree that they will be faster but how are you so sure they would make the current RTX cores obsolete.. well in a sense they already are since they cant do much to begin with.. but is there any evidence that the coming generation will be vastly faster? 

well rx 5700 xt can also render in a lower quality to bump the FPS its just a different implementation they call it Radeon Boost

Nvidia claimed as much several times - next gen would be up to two times faster at it.

I’ve used the sapphire trixx software on my pulse 5700xt to upscale images on my 4k tv. Fallou 4 was awesome looking on a big screen 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Ray Tracing, as @5x5 already stated, is still in its infancy.  Keep in mind, it takes years for a title to be made that will be on the level of using Ray Tracing, and since the technology was only released in consumer level GPU's last year, it's probably going to be a little bit before developers start making it a common thing.  I haven't really kept up with how the RTX cards have been improving since their launch (admittedly, a bit of an AMD fanboy here) but the big complaint was the huge performance loss that was produced by turning on Ray Tracing to begin with.  If that's still a thing, then I'd imagine it'll be a generation, or two, before cards with Ray Tracing will be able to be both reasonably priced for an average consumer, and able to give us the performance we have grown accustom to.  

What you should buy now, is a 5700xt.  Should you wait?  If your current system is performing decently enough, then sure, why not wait.  But don't get stuck in the waiting cycle, it will never be a good time to buy a GPU.  Tech is always advancing, and any time you buy a piece of equipment, even at launch, you are only a year away from it being "last gen" these days.