Advice with B450 Motherboards & Ryzen 7 3700x

Hi All,

I was wondering if there are any B450 motherboards that don't need to be flashed to use a Ryzen 7 3700x?

I was wanting the MSI M450 Gaming Pro Carbon but I don't have a cpu to flash the bios with (Currently using i7-7700) 

I've learnt read that the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX doesn't require but wanted some advice before i purchased anything :)

Any other board recommendations would be great, doesnt specifically have to be B450. I feel a little clueless with ryzen haha

Just now, Anima core said:

I was wondering if there are any B450 motherboards that don't need to be flashed to use a Ryzen 7 3700x?

That difficult to answer, since B450 came out before Ryzen 3000. Some B450 boards were introduced after Ryzen 3000 released (like all the MSI MAX motherboards, including the Tomahawk MAX).

However, just because B450 came out before Ryzen 3000, doesn't mean they were all produced/manufactured before that. What I mean, since Ryzen 3000 came out, all B450 boards were updated in the factory.

So in this day-and-age, you should really only find B450 boards with an updated BIOS. Thus making all B450 boards compatible.

So in short:

- MSI MAX boards will always work

- Most others will work too, because the manufacturing date was after Ryzen 3000 came out.

- Ask the store you're buying from if this image is on the box:

B450M DS3H (rev. 1.0) | Moederbord - GIGABYTE Netherlands

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

That difficult to answer, since B450 came out before Ryzen 3000. Some B450 boards were introduced after Ryzen 3000 released (like all the MSI MAX motherboards, including the Tomahawk MAX).

However, just because B450 came out before Ryzen 3000, doesn't mean they were all produced/manufactured before that. What I mean, since Ryzen 3000 came out, all B450 boards were updated in the factory.

So in this day-and-age, you should really only find B450 boards with an updated BIOS. Thus making all B450 boards compatible.

So in short:

- Most others will work too, because the manufacturing date was after Ryzen 3000 came out.

B450M DS3H (rev. 1.0) | Moederbord - GIGABYTE Netherlands

You're amazing thank you, even though the M450 looks like the nicer board, i may just go with the tomahawk max to save myself the headache incase it doesn't come pre flashed 

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

So in short:

Just realised the Tomahawk only has one m.2 slot, do you happen to know whether the Asus ROG Strix B450-F would be compatible haha

1 minute ago, Anima core said:

Just realised the Tomahawk only has one m.2 slot, do you happen to know whether the Asus ROG Strix B450-F would be compatible haha

It would be compatible with Ryzen 3000 (in the same way the MSI MAX boards are), the B450-F is just not that good, especially not for a 3700x.

I would much rather suggest the MSI B450 Mortar MAX or Aorus B450 Elite (the latter not being specifically Ryzen 3000 ready, but through manufacturing rounds it should be now).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Anima core said:

You're amazing thank you, even though the M450 looks like the nicer board, i may just go with the tomahawk max to save myself the headache incase it doesn't come pre flashed 

Did you check the compatibility list and BIOS patches on the Asus web-site?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

It does say the board is compatible with no * or needing a BIOS update.  I did also check the BIOS update section and I found the following update that you will need:

Version 3003 2019/12/269.59 MBytes

ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 3003
1. Update AM4 combo PI 1.0.0.4 patch B
2. Fixed a compatibility issue with M.2s when using Ryzen 3000 CPUs.

I imagine you should be able to apply that before installing M.2 drives (if the board does not come already updated).

However, I can't guarantee what BIOS version you will be when you purchase the board.

i would avoid asus b450 boards, they have terrible vrms. they are ok for a 3600, but not for a 3800x

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

i would avoid asus b450 boards, they have terrible vrms. they are ok for a 3600, but not for a 3800x

Thanks :) Ideally i'm wanting to spend up to £150 on a board to support a Ryzen 7 3700x but im a little clueless when it comes to ryzen since ive been using intel for so long. I require 2x m.2 if you have any recommendations (something i can use out of box) 

I suppose i could always purchase a cheap AM4 CPU to flash it with, just thought of that while writing this haha

39 minutes ago, Anima core said:

Thanks :) Ideally i'm wanting to spend up to £150 on a board to support a Ryzen 7 3700x but im a little clueless when it comes to ryzen since ive been using intel for so long. I require 2x m.2 if you have any recommendations (something i can use out of box) 

I suppose i could always purchase a cheap AM4 CPU to flash it with, just thought of that while writing this haha

best cheap one would be 

8 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

best cheap one would be 

Aye been looking at this one, Think it might look tiny in my Bequiet dark 700 case though haha

2 hours ago, Anima core said:

Aye been looking at this one, Think it might look tiny in my Bequiet dark 700 case though haha

yeah, but it's good quality, ryzen 3000 ready and has 2 m.2 slots and it's cheap. does it matter that much how it looks?

do you have the case already?

33 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

yeah, but it's good quality, ryzen 3000 ready and has 2 m.2 slots and it's cheap. does it matter that much how it looks?

do you have the case already?

Ya ive had this case for a while. I was looking on ebuyer and they had an offer on the MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS so ended up buying that one

2 hours ago, Anima core said:

Ya ive had this case for a while. I was looking on ebuyer and they had an offer on the MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS so ended up buying that one

Msi x570 board (the low end ones) are very bad. The mortar has better vrms than that one and you're paying double for it.

You could always call whomever you purchase it from and make sure it's Zen 2 ready.