Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
huilun02

OP7P or K30 Pro?

Which do you think is the better buy considering my wants?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is the better buy considering my wants?

• Oneplus 7 Pro
    • K30 Pro
    • I hate your guts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm currently using a Mi 9T and love the completely uninterrupted oled screen. Satisfies all of my needs. Looking for more of the same but this time with a flagship chipset so that between the two phones, I will have no reason to buy another phone for at least 5 years thereafter.

What it MUST have:

• Screen not interrupted by camera
  • No bezels or notches
  • OLED display
  • Battery at least 4,000mAh
  • Snapdragon 800 series chipset

What I would like it to have:

• As small and slim of a device as possible
  • Metal back if possible
  • No front camera if possible
  • Flat screen
  • Mo battery, mo better
  • Higher than normal resolution unless the device is really small
  • 90Hz+ refresh rate for smoothness (but can be toggled to 60Hz)
  • Ingress protection
  • No rear camera bump
  • Headphone jack
  • Expandable storage
  • At least UFS 3.0
  • In-display fingerprint
  • Wireless charging
  • Physical ring mode toggle switch

What I absolutely do not care about:

• Camera quality
  • Phone games
  • OS and software updates (I only use custom roms)
  • Speaker quality for music
  • 5G
  • NFC

I've basically boiled down the (already narrow) selection to the Oneplus 7 Pro and new Redmi K30 Pro (not the Zoom version). Total cost of acquisition right now is the equivalent of USD 590 and 570 respectively. Price is close enough to be ignored.

Given your knowledge of the K30 Pro or any usage experience with the OP7P, I would like to know of your opinion which of them might be the better buy for me. If you have used the OP7P, I am especially interested in your opinion of the curved screen sides, its 90Hz refresh rate, and general handling ergonomics. I own an OP3T.

I am also 100% uninterested in a phone that does not satisfy the must haves listed above. This is not up for debate.

Thanks!

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

A k20 pro would be pretty suitable(same chipset as op7 pro), but if you want something newer def go for the k30 pro, especially because of that sd865.

I think that in the long run the sd865 will be better than a 90hz screen since you stated you didnt care about games.

Budget build
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
iGPU: Vega 11
Ram: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666mhz dual channel
MB: Gigabyte ga-a320m s2h v2
SSD: Crucial 240GB
PSU: Cheap 500W
Case: Cougar MX330-G

4 hours ago, EL02 said:

A k20 pro would be pretty suitable(same chipset as op7 pro), but if you want something newer def go for the k30 pro, especially because of that sd865.

I think that in the long run the sd865 will be better than a 90hz screen since you stated you didnt care about games.

I'm not concerned about the perf difference between both chipsets. Both are a huge step up in performance from the SD730 in my Mi 9T.

The 90Hz screen is an actual advantage as it makes scrolling and videos smoother to watch. The benefit is not exclusive to games.

I want to avoid the Mi 9T Pro or K20 Pro because it is too similar to my Mi 9T. And both OP7P and K30 Pro have advantages over the older set in Areas where I care about.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

If the speed difference isnt your main concern i would say go for the oneplus.

Budget build

1 hour ago, EL02 said:

If the speed difference isnt your main concern i would say go for the oneplus.

Any particular reason?

Its got the superior 1440p 90Hz screen, but the curved screen sides worry me. Its the largest phone between the two. The K30 Pro is already wider and taller than my Mi 9T. Do you have any experience using the OP7P you could share?

By the listings you made it seems like performance, screen and battery are the main focus here. The screen is better on the op7 pro (there was a comparison on youtube, but couldnt find it). You also listed what you would like the phone to have, like 90hz and better than normal res, and still the battery life is great.

I dont think the curved glass is that big of a deal. I've used a s6 edge, s7, s9+ and it is not as bad as youtubers make it.

Screen size is the same.

Yes i've used the op7 pro before but not more than 5min and it is what you would expect out of an amoled 90hz display.

Also the k30 pro isnt even out yet, it might become available in 2months.

Budget build

16 minutes ago, EL02 said:

I wish the battery was better in the OP7P considering its size. Its screen is obviously better even eithout comparison. The curved sides are not just a potential distraction, but could cause touch issues and they are also harder to protect from fall damage. Many youtubers do their reviews indoors with controlled lighting which does not highlight the light reflection from the curve. However in actual consumer use, it is taken outdoors where there is bright light sources coming in from all directions.

The K30 Pro was released end of March. I live in South East Asia (Singapore to be exact) and often we get Asian made products way ahead of the rest of the world. I can already place orders for the phone.

I see the OP7P offering a better user experience with the superior screen and physical alert slider. However the K30 Pro clearly takes the cake in terms of absolute longevity, thanks to the newer chipset completely overpowering the 60Hz 1080p display, an easier to protect flat screen, and a larger battery.

I am not making the purchase right now. The decision to get a new phone in advance stems from the near certainty that there will be no new phone designs with physically obscured front cameras in the future (governments and corporations actively supressing consumer privacy and want to see our face without us knowing). However it would be good if I can determine the ideal target beforehand. I am actively monitoring the price of both products and waiting for a sale. Hopefully the supply crunch from the virus lifts soon, and in combination with the spotlight going to fancier newer products, I will find an opportunity to save some money on the purchase.

The OP8 series will all have punch hole front cameras by the way.