Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SpicyTater

Very old PC

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i like messing around with old PCs just for the heck of it. I have an old SFF Dell Optiplex 280. It has XP Pro SP3 and i partitioned the hard drive in half and installed lubuntu. i layed with it for a while then wanted to just stick with XP. I booted into XP, went to disk management and deleted and reformatted that second partition. Now when i turn on the computer it says "

"file system not recognized"

Grub rescue>

How to i have it just boot into windows. I dont have any windows xp disks or anything.

Its just to play with, not connecting to internet before you all chew me out lol.

4 minutes ago, SpicyTater said:

Thank you but i do not have the windows XP disk, and the other option was to buy some repair disk from them. 

Do you know if i can use the recovery console from a windows 8 disk just to fix the MBR?

The answer is literally in the link he posted.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thank you guys! I was able to use the command prompt in the windows 8 32 bit disk to fix and now she boots right into XP again.

Thanks again!

46 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

You need to restore the mbr. Try this guide

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/#Fix_the_MBR_in_Windows_XP

24 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

All instructions for all Windows versions are in the link. I think the Win8 mbr should work with XP.

If not there is this XP recovery CD, containing the XP recovery console. Use rufus to burn to USB, rather than CD.

https://www.briteccomputers.co.uk/posts/bootable-recovery-console-iso-image-by-britec-2/

Follow XP instructions provided in the link