Smart Homes by Logitech

Hello everybody !

First things first, I'm a new user from Switzerland, currently working to get my Master degree in law and economics. 

I'm part of a team of students working on a project for a class. We have to analyse whether or not Logitech should enter the smarthomes business and, eventually, how.

This project require to go outside, get insights and opinions from users and the different potential stakeholders. As you all know, we are going through an difficult crisis and we all have to stay home. The thing is, our project is not cancelled and we still have to get those insights using different ways to get there. I've been watching Linus content for a long time now, as I'm very interested in tech in general so I hoped you could answer a couple questions or give your opinion. Every kind of answers would be incredibely usefull, even if you don't care at all about smarthomes systems !

1) Are you interested in smarthomes equipement ? Do you think Logitech has a card to play in that sector ?

2) Would you consider paying for such equipement ? For what kind of product (Lightbulbs, dorbells, security cameras, energy controlling hub, conected soundsystem...)

3) Would you be interested by "bundles" built around particular thematics (Energy saving, security...) ? What if it could reduce your insurance or energy bill ?

If you could indicate the country you are from if you answer those questions it would be wonderful ! I hope you all stay healthy and have a nice day, even during those difficults times. Stay strong !

Ludovic Barcellona

17 minutes ago, LudovicB said:

1) Are you interested in smarthomes equipement ? 

I would only be interested in monitoring power usage, all the other (current) smart home equipment does not interest me much. (smart thermostat, door/windowstrips, smart locks, etc.)

18 minutes ago, LudovicB said:

Do you think Logitech has a card to play in that sector ?

Their main point at first might just be their name recognition. I don't see a lot of connections to Logitech's current market(s) and the smart home market.

Maybe a bit far-fetched, but I suppose they would be able to make decent remotes; because of their experience making other sorts of control peripherals.

Their wireless tech is not exceptional - and 2.4Ghz to boot - so I don't think they would add much to the market there.

20 minutes ago, LudovicB said:

2) Would you consider paying for such equipement ? For what kind of product (Lightbulbs, dorbells, security cameras, energy controlling hub, conected soundsystem...)

As I am not interested in  most, I would not pay for most.

For a power usage meter I would consider paying up to 30 euros. But I suppose it would depend on the way the system works.

If I need to purchase a separate 'hub' of sorts, to connect multiple devices? Perhaps then it would only be 15 euros per meter and 50-70 euros for a 'hub'. 

'It depends' is a vague answer, but the only way I can answer now.

22 minutes ago, LudovicB said:

3) Would you be interested by "bundles" built around particular thematics (Energy saving, security...) ?

The most annoying part about 'smart home' for the average consumer is the amount of choices. Not necessarily the amount of choices, but rather the way some products just don't work together. Having a 'set'/'kit' or 'line' of equipment might be a way to fix this.

Naming these kits something logical (like 'security', 'energy saver', 'light your house', etc.) would make sense too.

Logitech should definitely not 'one of the others', they should be able to set themselves apart from the competition and by applying a fix to end the madness that is the current market, I think that would definitely work.

25 minutes ago, LudovicB said:

currently working to get my Master degree in law and economics. I'm part of a team of students working on a project for a class.

Good luck on your studies and project!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your answer !