Could i run a fish tank filter as a pump/reso combo?

Would this work instead of having to buy a pump and reso

proably but you would be able to run it from the computer and give it input for the speed 

buut if you wan't to go realy junky then use rspi or ardunino and get inout over the voltage from the pump header and controll the pump with this info

What kind of filter do you have? 

I wouldn't recommend having it attached to the fish tank too though as the cpu/GPU blocks would get dirty really fast. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

This was done in the very early days iirc.  I vaguely recall there being issues but I don’t remember what they were.  It’s not an any filter thing, and there are other problems.  I don’t recall what they were though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

36 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

What kind of filter do you have? 

I wouldn't recommend having it attached to the fish tank too though as the cpu/GPU blocks would get dirty really fast. 

It's a spare and it isn't being used

4 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

It's a spare and it isn't being used

What stats do you have for it?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I use a car radiator. I was able to snag a new one for less than a 240mm rad. I use the royal purple coolant additive to obtain the biocide so I can avoid using an of the shelf glycol mix. 

Having said that, an AIO will be much less trouble in the long run. The huge rad I have eliminates the need to force air through it, so it's quiet, and this custom setup allowed me to use 3 waterblocks to cool my graphics card because a factory block wasn't available, but I'm not sure if I'd mess with this again. It's cheaper but high maintenance. 

Anyway, consider the royal purple to keep the water under control.