GPU after smoker - will smell go away eventually ?

xxx68

Hello, i bought gtx 1080ti and as it seems unfortunately from the smoker. Everytime fans turn on - the smell is just too much for me. I already took down the part with the fans and cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and neutralizer. Also i did sprey some of neutralizer in heatsink. Unfortunately it didnt help. GPU smells bad even the third day. Do you think smell will go away eventually or should i sell the gpu ? Its just very distracting for me and cant enjoy gaming with it at all.

Cigarette smoke? Try keeping good air circulation around the room. Run fans, open windows if possible, etc. Over time the lingering scent of the smoke should die out.

A girl who loves to love.

stick a box of baking soda in your case and hang some of those "little trees" from the inside too

Just buy contact cleaner and spray all over the card. It should remove most of the smell and also clean and protect the contacts from future corrosion . 

if you are not scared of warranty, take it apart. clean it individually. especially the fans and the heatsinks. 

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

That would work.

I came up with a way to clean so-called "Smoke Damaged" items awhile back.
Cleaning up/recovery of "Smoke Damaged" items - Guides and Tutorials - Linus Tech Tips

Just know this is an extreme way to clean stuff yet it works, gets rid of the smell, brown/discoloration and all else associated with smoking.

And yes, I've even dunked an entire GPU in and it cleaned it right out.
The usual/expected drying out process took about a week but once done and tested the card was fine.

I do not suggest doing all that with your card.

If you decide to try it, just remove the cooler part and clean that, the rest should still be OK as is (Do not dunk).

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.