Keeping Processor Overclocked?

Hi all!

Today I delidded my i7-7700k and used some thermal grizzly conductonaut. I also changed the cooler to the corsair h115 pro aio. My temps used to be mid-90s in prime95 at 4.2ghz. They're now down to 65 degrees at 4.8ghz! A great improvement, but I had a question since this is really my first time overclocking. Is it safe to keep my processor running at 4.8 ghz all the time, or do I need to change back to 4.2?

Just now, CognizantPotato said:

Is it safe to keep my processor running at 4.8 ghz all the time

if the voltage and temperatures are reasonable, any clock speed is safe

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

if the voltage and temperatures are reasonable, any clock speed is safe

Okay cool. That's what I was thinking. I honestly just left the voltage at auto because I wasn't quite sure what a good value would be. I might tinker around a bit more and see if i can get anything else out of it. Thanks for such a quick reply!

3 minutes ago, CognizantPotato said:

Okay cool. That's what I was thinking. I honestly just left the voltage at auto because I wasn't quite sure what a good value would be. I might tinker around a bit more and see if i can get anything else out of it. Thanks for such a quick reply!

Auto voltage for something as high as 4.8 would be way too high. You should definitely manually tune it to reduce that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Auto voltage for something as high as 4.8 would be way too high. You should definitely manually tune it to reduce that.

So i just need to change vcore right? Is there anything else that I should be concerned about changing as well?

1 hour ago, CognizantPotato said:

So i just need to change vcore right? Is there anything else that I should be concerned about changing as well?

Yeah just vcrore will do for a basic OC

Primary PC: