Can you help me ti find the best GPU for an i5 7400?

Paul499

I have Intel six core i5 7400 with B250M-HDV mother board 500W unknown Psu and 16gb crucial 2400 mhz 1TB Toshiba and 240 Gb Kingston Ssd

IMG-20200401-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200401-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20200401-WA0004.jpg

10 minutes ago, Paul499 said:

six core i5 7400

it's definitely a quad core, which is very limiting for GPU choices. The PSU is also a bit shifty looking. Single channel memory also affects performance here. I'd go with a 1650 super, and maybe get yourself a better PSU and more ram (or sell your current ram for 2x8GB).

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Id say, depending on your budget. just get what you can. though, you might want to upgrade that ram to a faster kit (and sell it for extra GPU Budget) 

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

@Paul499

I wouldnt go with anything to new as you will probably have to flash the bios to the latest version to support any new GPU.  I had this problem on a similar build to yours was upgrading the GTX 560ti 1GB card to a GTX 1060 and the bios needed to be flashed to even recognize the new GPU.

If your only playing at 1080p and are not to worried about getting 250+ FPS in all your games I would look into a used GTX 970,  GTX 1060 , RX 580 , RX 570.   These can all be found for quite cheap on craigslist etc and will still crush 1080p games.  Do that and get yourself 1 more stick of DDR3 so your running dual channel memory and you should have a great 1080p gaming rig.

7 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

I wouldnt go with anything to new as you will probably have to flash the bios to the latest version to support any new GPU.

what???

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

30 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

what???

Sorry ill rephrase that:

go for any GPU you want but you may need to update the mobo bios to the newest version fyi.

4 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

Sorry ill rephrase that:

go for any GPU you want but you may need to update the mobo bios to the newest version fyi.

Neither of those are true. There are several limiting factors to what GPU is appropriate, none of them being the BIOS.

Primary PC:

just for the notice... that unit there looks like something very cheap. 12x22a =/=500w, but about half of it

so I highly recommend replacing it with it

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Neither of those are true. There are several limiting factors to what GPU is appropriate, none of them being the BIOS.

I never said it was a limiting factor... I was telling OP that with that old of a system he MAY need to update his bios how is that statement not true?

Seeing as when I upgraded a GPU on a similar system the bios needed to be updated...

Not sure what your trying to get at here?

1 minute ago, Tz000 said:

Not sure what your trying to get at here?

B250 motherboards such as this are guaranteed compatible with all current gen graphics cards regardless of BIOS version

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

B250 motherboards such as this are guaranteed compatible with all current gen graphics cards regardless of BIOS version

Hence why I said "MAY" need to update his bios...  I must have had a slightly older board when I upgraded my 560ti to the 1060 so going off my experience with similar aged hardware I thought I would mention that to OP sorry for sharing potentially needed information based off my own experience...  If I was 100% certain that on a B250 mobo he would need to update his bios I would not have said "MAY" need to...

14 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

it's definitely a quad core, which is very limiting for GPU choices. The PSU is also a bit shifty looking. Single channel memory also affects performance here. I'd go with a 1650 super, and maybe get yourself a better PSU and more ram (or sell your current ram for 2x8GB).

It Is not a dual channel? I have inside 2x8gb crucial 😭

14 hours ago, MartinKweh said:

Id say, depending on your budget. just get what you can. though, you might want to upgrade that ram to a faster kit (and sell it for extra GPU Budget) 

It Is not enough 2400 MHz?

2 minutes ago, Paul499 said:

It Is not a dual channel? I have inside 2x8gb crucial 😭

In the pictures, I see a single green ram dimm

1 minute ago, Paul499 said:

It Is not enough 2400 MHz?

Unfortunately your motherboard wouldn't actually support any faster ram.

Primary PC:

13 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

just for the notice... that unit there looks like something very cheap. 12x22a =/=500w, but about half of it

so I highly recommend replacing it with it

Yes i bought it only for work a couple of years ago but now i don' t have Money for a new One 🤣 i wanted ti spend max 250 for a new card. I had only 8gb crucial and Yesterday arrived another one that i bought thinking It was good 2400 mhz for my old processor 😥

1 minute ago, Paul499 said:

Yes i bought it only for work a couple of years ago but now i don' t have Money for a new One 🤣 i wanted ti spend max 250 for a new card. I had only 8gb crucial and Yesterday arrived another one that i bought thinking It was good 2400 mhz for my old processor 😥

I would take some of that budget to the PSU then, it's certainly worth it over risking that whole system on a very sketchy looking PSU

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

I would take some of that budget to the PSU then, it's certainly worth it over risking that whole system on a very sketchy looking PSU

What can you reccomend as PSU? and an rx 580 mai armor 8gb Is good?

15 hours ago, Tz000 said:

@Paul499

I wouldnt go with anything to new as you will probably have to flash the bios to the latest version to support any new GPU.  I had this problem on a similar build to yours was upgrading the GTX 560ti 1GB card to a GTX 1060 and the bios needed to be flashed to even recognize the new GPU.

If your only playing at 1080p and are not to worried about getting 250+ FPS in all your games I would look into a used GTX 970,  GTX 1060 , RX 580 , RX 570.   These can all be found for quite cheap on craigslist etc and will still crush 1080p games.  Do that and get yourself 1 more stick of DDR3 so your running dual channel memory and you should have a great 1080p gaming rig.

I found a rx 580 armor msi 8 GB OC Is It good for my system?

1 hour ago, Paul499 said:

I found a rx 580 armor msi 8 GB OC Is It good for my system?

Yeah thats a great card for your system, good 1080p performance,  I have one of them myself (Asus Dual rx 580 8gb).  Also look for a second stick of memory or a new 2 x 8gb kit of memory for dual channel.  

Just be sure that the card is in good shape and wasn't used for bit coin mining etc be sure it works before you buy it if its used...

1 hour ago, Paul499 said:

Your going to want at least 500w but I would recommend a 600-650w PSU so if you plan on using it in a future build you can do so without having to upgrade your psu as well.  Anything from a reputable company with at least an 80+ bronze rating should be alot better than what your using at the moment.

2 hours ago, Paul499 said:

what country and budget?

580 armor is unfortunately one of the worst, if not the worst cooled 580, so don't expect it to be quiet

1 hour ago, Tz000 said:

Yeah thats a great card for your system, good 1080p performance,  I have one of them myself (Asus Dual rx 580 8gb).  Also look for a second stick of memory or a new 2 x 8gb kit of memory for dual channel.  

Just be sure that the card is in good shape and wasn't used for bit coin mining etc be sure it works before you buy it if its used...

Your going to want at least 500w but I would recommend a 600-650w PSU so if you plan on using it in a future build you can do so without having to upgrade your psu as well.  Anything from a reputable company with at least an 80+ bronze rating should be alot better than what your using at the moment.

I already bought another memory stick. I think in a couple of years i will build One from scratch. And i will follow your advice for the Psu. Thanks a lot! For the GPU i am a little concerned because i don't want to stress out my Cpu. But thanks a lot! For every advice!

38 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

what country and budget?

580 armor is unfortunately one of the worst, if not the worst cooled 580, so don't expect it to be quiet

What do you reccomend for my system? Obviously upgrading my Psu

40 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

what country and budget?

New one 191 euros on amazon

3 hours ago, Paul499 said:

RX 580 MSI armor OC 8gb

where are you located? Link to a webshop or price comparison site? : )

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )