Help.. I think my XLR cable is wired wrong?

wiredwithkevin

Hey guys, so im setting up a gaming PC and got a condenser mic/phantom power etc. It sounds like absolute garbage. Extremely quiet, and trying to boost it at all just produces a ton of noise. I've done all the troubleshooting, watched youtube videos of the same mic, and I know something isn't adding up.

So i opened up my XLR cable to test it with a volt meter/ohm meter... and I think the cable is wired wrong? It was a cheap cable on amazon. Probably from china. This is a photo of the female end, that plugs into the mic.

Using my volt meter, if i touch the negative to Pin #1, I can touch the positive to either Pin #2 OR #3, and both give me 48v and around 35-50ohms resistance. Shouldn't only one of those pins be delivering power? The wiring diagrams I've found online say #2 should be Positive and #3 should be negative, and #1 is ground.

With everything going on in the world right now i'd rather not go out and by a new cable... lol I can just re-solder this one. I just need a second opinion. Thanks!!!

(PS the pins are labeled thats how i know which is 1, 2 and 3)

IMG_0367.jpg

13 hours ago, kevindoesgaming said:

Hey guys, so im setting up a gaming PC and got a condenser mic/phantom power etc. It sounds like absolute garbage. Extremely quiet, and trying to boost it at all just produces a ton of noise. I've done all the troubleshooting, watched youtube videos of the same mic, and I know something isn't adding up.

So i opened up my XLR cable to test it with a volt meter/ohm meter... and I think the cable is wired wrong? It was a cheap cable on amazon. Probably from china. This is a photo of the female end, that plugs into the mic.

Using my volt meter, if i touch the negative to Pin #1, I can touch the positive to either Pin #2 OR #3, and both give me 48v and around 35-50ohms resistance. Shouldn't only one of those pins be delivering power? The wiring diagrams I've found online say #2 should be Positive and #3 should be negative, and #1 is ground.

With everything going on in the world right now i'd rather not go out and by a new cable... lol I can just re-solder this one. I just need a second opinion. Thanks!!!

(PS the pins are labeled thats how i know which is 1, 2 and 3)

IMG_0367.jpg

Quick question, is this a XLR to 3.5mm jack or an XLR male to XLR female? Because if it is just an XLR to 3.5 then I would assume this isnt being connected to a usb interface which provides the phantom power.

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch