GPU on £200 budget: Used or new?

Musty

I am putting together a new build and am only really stuck on the choice of GPU at this point (to couple with a Ryzen 3600, MSI Tomahawk Max, 520W PSU).

I'd like to go to an RX 5600 XT at this price point, but the build would be needed for a combination of work and games. Unfortunately a lot of the GPU accelerated programs I use need CUDA computation, so I'm probably limited to Nvidia if I want an all around build.

My current thoughts were either a new 1660 super or, if i can pick one up used, a 1070Ti. 

Not sure what the best bang for buck is at this price range. The £200 isn't a hard limit but I might have to make sacrifices elsewhere if I went much higher.

Any advice welcomed!

Edit: I should add that when I do get this built, it will be put to work in the folding at home team ;) so something to consider...

Edit 2: Total budget is around £800. Current build list (with the 1660 super) reads like this...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£155.00 @ Currys PC World) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£104.91 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (£93.25 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£83.39 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card  (£233.47 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  (£56.75 @ Novatech) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£64.98 @ Currys PC World Business) 
Total: £791.75

The 1070 Ti is about 30 percent faster than a 1660 (in gaming and in folding). The newer equivalent of a 1070 Ti would be the RTX 2060 (non-super). From a feature stand point both cards will perform equally well in CUDA tasks.

Between those two I'd definitely go for the new 1660 Super, since the 1070Ti isn't that much faster than the 1660S to justify not having a warranty. It also consumes around ~50W less power, so that might be something to consider, especially if you plan on joining the folding team!

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

what's your total budget and the rest of the parts you're using? maybe there are some savings that can be done somewhere. you can usually save £20 on the motherboard by getting the a-pro instead of the tomahawk, for example. the 520W psu doesn't inspire trust, what model is it?

as for gpus, if you can find a 1070ti for £200, that's a steal. I see them going for £250 on ebay, which is a bit much. in general, the 1070ti is about 10% better than the 1660 super.

Thanks for the responses! 

16 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

The 1070 Ti is about 30 percent faster than a 1660 (in gaming and in folding). The newer equivalent of a 1070 Ti would be the RTX 2060 (non-super). From a feature stand point both cards will perform equally well in CUDA tasks.

Yeah the RTX 2060 is a better equivalent for the 1070Ti, but the cheapest I have seen them going for is maybe £260 so I wasn't sure if it might be too much of a stretch for me at the moment.

15 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Between those two I'd definitely go for the new 1660 Super, since the 1070Ti isn't that much faster than the 1660S to justify not having a warranty. It also consumes around ~50W less power, so that might be something to consider, especially if you plan on joining the folding team!

The lower power consumption might be nice in the long run. I'm a biologist and occasionally work with predicted protein structures, so it might benefit me in the long run ;) 

16 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

what's your total budget and the rest of the parts you're using? maybe there are some savings that can be done somewhere. you can usually save £20 on the motherboard by getting the a-pro instead of the tomahawk, for example. the 520W psu doesn't inspire trust, what model is it?

as for gpus, if you can find a 1070ti for £200, that's a steal. I see them going for £250 on ebay, which is a bit much. in general, the 1070ti is about 10% better than the 1660 super.

My total budget was about £800 (not counting an SSD since I already have one I can slot in).

Sorry the PSU was a 550W Corsair, I had looked at a 520W Seasonic as well at a similar price point. 

I was currently looking at something like this build list, but potentially switching graphics cards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£155.00 @ Currys PC World) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£104.91 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (£93.25 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£83.39 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card  (£233.47 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  (£56.75 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£64.98 @ Currys PC World Business)

Total: £791.75

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Oh nice! I hadn't really looked at MicroATX boards but that is quite a decent saving. Probably worth the two SATA ports it would sacrifice, and I don't think dropping down to DDR4-3200 would give too much of a performance hit. Its tempting me to just click order. Its been so long since I've had a desktop at home 😅 (probably 12+ years). 

30 minutes ago, MustyStag said:

Oh nice! I hadn't really looked at MicroATX boards but that is quite a decent saving. Probably worth the two SATA ports it would sacrifice, and I don't think dropping down to DDR4-3200 would give too much of a performance hit. Its tempting me to just click order. Its been so long since I've had a desktop at home 😅 (probably 12+ years). 

yeah the performance gained from the 2060 is worth losing 400mhz on ram. enjoy! maybe throw in a case fan or two (arctic have cheap good ones)

One thing that I hadn't thought about, is that PCPartsPicker has disabled some vendors who also deliver essential items to try to reduce the load on them, so this is possibly not the "best" price (for example, it will not automatically show prices from amazon because they also sell food etc). Interesting, I thought their infrastructure for the food side of the business was separate?

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

yeah the performance gained from the 2060 is worth losing 400mhz on ram. enjoy! maybe throw in a case fan or two (arctic have cheap good ones)

Looks like I will have to switch out that power supply, or pay a little more. Out of stock most places!