Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quy3501

How to reflow a GPU using a heatgun?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Anyone have reflowed a dead graphic card show me how to do it? My GPU died 4 month ago and i have just know the reflow method? Is there what i need other than a heat gun? Is the moisture important? How long does it take at what temp? Direct the heat to the GPU or the VRAM chip? Is there a detail video in how to do it properly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Quy3501 said:

Anyone have reflowed a dead graphic card show me how to do it? My GPU died 4 month ago and i have just know the reflow method? Is there what i need other than a heat gun? Is the moisture important? How long does it take at what temp? Direct the heat to the GPU or the VRAM chip? Is there a detail video in how to do it properly?

No, do not try with a heat gun. The heat gun, once the solder starts to melt from components, will just blow all the resistors, capacitors and the likes all over the place and then the thing is definitely, 100% a goner.

 

To Correctly Reflow(TM) with a heat gun, you'd need to know exactly what you are planning to reflow and you'd need to cover any parts you don't want moving around with kapton-tape.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

No, do not try with a heat gun. The heat gun, once the solder starts to melt from components, will just blow all the resistors, capacitors and the likes all over the place and then the thing is definitely, 100% a goner.

can you use something like heat-resistant tape for the capacitors?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quy3501 said:

can you use something like heat-resistant tape for the capacitors?

Kapton-tape, yes.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Is there anything else can be used to reflow a GPU other than a heat gun and a oven (i don't have a oven)?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reflowing the card likely won't work or will only be temporary. I have reflowed with a heat gun. It can work but you HAVE to use flux and watch carefully for the solder to start to melt under the chip. 


Be sure to @Pickles - Lord of the Jar if you want me to see your reply!
For years I have lived in these crystal lands. My people were once plentiful. Many of those in my fiefdom revered me. However, one day a calamity hit. The fingers of the devil plucked us from our land, never to return. Now I am the sole heir to the throne. I am Pickles, Lord of the Brine, One of the Jar, Man of Preserves and Last of the Condiments. 

"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of your expertise." ~ Unknown

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1070 Hybrid (2100c/2241m) | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD | 4TB HDD 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×