Cant boot into windows after clean install (AMD build)

moJinn

Hi everyone, I'm in a pickle and would really appreciate some help. I've built quite a few PC's in my day but never encountered this type of problem, and I'm hoping it's probably due to my lack of experience with AMD builds.

I can install windows 10 with no issues at all and run it normally, and I checked that my CPU, GPU, memory, everything is working properly within windows. (also everything is showing up proper in the BIOS) but when I restart the PC, the AORUS logo is on the screen and the windows booting circle animation just spins forever and windows never loads.

Any ideas?

PC Specs,

Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 (w \ latest BIOS)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Noctua NH-L9a-AM4

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0

Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450 W Power Supply

4 minutes ago, moJinn said:

I can install windows 10 with no issues at all and run it normally, (...) but when I restart the PC, the AORUS logo is on the screen and the windows booting circle animation just spins forever and windows never loads.

So it runs once after power on/off? or only after fresh install?

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~ Bill Murray

My folding stats

3 minutes ago, crocostix said:

So it runs once after power on/off? or only after fresh install?

Windows only runs after the fresh install, but once I reboot or shutdown, it goes in to that situation i described above.

6 minutes ago, moJinn said:

Windows only runs after the fresh install, but once I reboot or shutdown, it goes in to that situation i described above.

Getting rid of the obvious first: I assume you install from a usb? after the install, you remove the usb before you reboot?

Before it hangs, can you get into the BIOS? or it hangs already before that?

It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~ Bill Murray

My folding stats

1 minute ago, crocostix said:

Getting rid of the obvious first: I assume you install from a usb? after the install, you remove the usb before you reboot?

Before it hangs, can you get into the BIOS? or it hangs already before that?

Yes installed via usb (win 1909) and removed it while I was in the windows environment (setting up my preferences in windows)

And yes I can get in to the BIOS

I think I figured it out, it was a driver issue (although I don't know which one) I was updating a bunch of drivers after the installation and upon restarting the situation happened.

I just did another clean install, and didn't touch anything, restarted and it booted in to windows just fine.

Now I'm curious to which driver caused this problem. If I find out I'll update the thread.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, moJinn said:

Yes installed via usb (win 1909) and removed it while I was in the windows environment (setting up my preferences in windows)

And yes I can get in to the BIOS

ok, going down the list...

All BIOS settings are defaulted? I've had boot instability when overclocking CPU or RAM for example.

When you install windows, did you try to remove the partition and build a new MBR/GPT? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style

Do you have a different drive you can try to install windows on and boot from? Best is to remove the M.2 that you have right now from the build to rule it out as the cause.

My folding stats

5 minutes ago, crocostix said:

ok, going down the list...

All BIOS settings are defaulted? I've had boot instability when overclocking CPU or RAM for example.

When you install windows, did you try to remove the partition and build a new MBR/GPT? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style

Do you have a different drive you can try to install windows on and boot from? Best is to remove the M.2 that you have right now from the build to rule it out as the cause.

Thanks crocostix, I've managed to get it working (see post above)

really appreciate your help.

7 minutes ago, moJinn said:

I think I figured it out, it was a driver issue (although I don't know which one) I was updating a bunch of drivers after the installation and upon restarting the situation happened.

I just did another clean install, and didn't touch anything, restarted and it booted in to windows just fine.

Now I'm curious to which driver caused this problem. If I find out I'll update the thread.

Thanks

Ha! that's even more curious. If you find out, do put it here

My folding stats