microphone not working, and crackling

brandongaming33

It doesn't matter what mic I use, as I have tried three, and they all work fine on my phone, but whenever I try and use them on my pc, it doesn't pick up my audio, and only seems to pick up static, this is happening with both front, and rear jacks. I have tried windows "high definition audio" drivers, and the ones from gigabytes support page, which are realtek. I would think it is driver issues, but I don't know what other drivers to try, the other audio jacks playback fine, it's just mic. It also seems to be low through the rear jack.

You also gone through the setting sin the Windows Sound Control Panel?

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

7 minutes ago, Tundral said:

You also gone through the setting sin the Windows Sound Control Panel?

yes I have, it seems I get some very static sound if I boost it all the way, but it's quiet, and is drown out by the static, like I can hardly hear my keyboard with very loud blue switches. The static also seems to be a lot worse from the front ports than the rear

1 minute ago, brandongaming33 said:

The static also seems to be a lot worse from the front ports than the rear

This make sense since the non-insulated wire is going through your PC picking up all kinds of different interference.

Sounds like your typical case of jank onboard audio. If you are able to I'd recommend just getting any kind of USB dongle, because even the cheaper ones will have better audio than your onboard audio!

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

4 minutes ago, brandongaming33 said:

yes I have, it seems I get some very static sound if I boost it all the way, but it's quiet, and is drown out by the static, like I can hardly hear my keyboard with very loud blue switches. The static also seems to be a lot worse from the front ports than the rear

If you can hear something but also static then that normally points towards a grounding issue.

It's not a race to the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Tundral said:

This make sense since the non-insulated wire is going through your PC picking up all kinds of different interference.

Sounds like your typical case of jank onboard audio. If you are able to I'd recommend just getting any kind of USB dongle, because even the cheaper ones will have better audio than your onboard audio!

I was planning on getting a dongle if I couldn't get it to work

1 minute ago, 0x1e said:

If you can hear something but also static then that normally points towards a grounding issue.

Is there any way fix that?

1 minute ago, brandongaming33 said:

I was planning on getting a dongle if I couldn't get it to work

Is there any way fix that?

Other than making sure you're using a socket that is grounded not really. I even once took a 30f extension cord from my kitchen to my living room the get properly grounded power to my PC. I too had an issues with static, though this was with proper audio equipment!

Main rig:

Secondary rig:

7 minutes ago, Tundral said:

Other than making sure you're using a socket that is grounded not really. I even once took a 30f extension cord from my kitchen to my living room the get properly grounded power to my PC. I too had an issues with static, though this was with proper audio equipment!

So try plugging it into another plug, I am running everything off a power strip, I don't know if that would effect anything, I'm don't know much about electricity, also I just noticed the static seems to only be in the right ear, and I am getting what seems to be normal, but very low audio out of the left

2 minutes ago, brandongaming33 said:

So try plugging it into another plug

Yes

3 minutes ago, brandongaming33 said:

I am running everything off a power strip, I don't know if that would effect anything

Yes it could be that another device on the strip is 'tainting' the power

4 minutes ago, brandongaming33 said:

I'm don't know much about electricity

Get a dongle, that way you don't have to know or care!

Main rig:

Secondary rig:

1 minute ago, Tundral said:

Yes

Yes it could be that another device on the strip is 'tainting' the power

Get a dongle, that way you don't have to know or care!

yeah, it seems to be doing the same thing on the other power, so I'll just order a dongle