Low fps on high end pc.

Nicholastp

Hi all.

I recently bought a new desktop and i have fps problems while playing some of my favorite games.

My specs are: 

Motherboard: Asus prime X399 - A

Graphics card: RTX 2080 ti 11gb

Cpu: Threadripper 2970WX (24cores/ 48threads)

Ram: 64gb at 2600 ghz

Yes i have installed all the latest drivers and bios, Overclocked my cpu and played a bit with the nvidia control panel.

Problem: Low fps when playing Arma 3 (15-29fps) and Escape from tarkov (30-45 fps).

Note: all the other games are running between 75-120 fps with frame limiters or vsync on!

Enable game mode - you're currently having issues due to the 2 NUMA nodes.

Hi @5x5 and thanks for the quick reply.

I tried that and it had no effect on both games :/ .

@Nicholastp

With a beastly computer, I would assume you would be getting more than 120 fps in your games depending on what resolution you have it set at. Have you updated the bios?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@BlackManINC

I play with a 75 hz (2056 x 1080) monitor :/ and the bios are updated. It just makes no scene. 

2 minutes ago, Nicholastp said:

@BlackManINC

I play with a 75 hz (2056 x 1080) monitor :/ and the bios are updated. It just makes no scene. 

Have you tried setting the "priority" state of the game to 'high' or 'above normal' in the task manager? What does the usage rates say while gaming?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@BlackManINC

Yes and yes. I also use process lasso to make sure the predecessor affinity is ok and check my cpu cores. everything works normal :/

50 minutes ago, Nicholastp said:

@BlackManINC

Yes and yes. I also use process lasso to make sure the predecessor affinity is ok and check my cpu cores. everything works normal :/

Well you can do a lot more than that with process lasso. You can use the 'smart trim' feature which is a ram management algorithm that tells background processes to "trim" its working sets to keep memory free'd up. For instance, I found that windows wasn't properly freeing up the cache standby memory, hogging up almost all the ram. So I use Smart Trim to erase the standby memory every minute. This is something you can check just to make sure this isn't happening to you by typing "resource monitor" in the search bar. You can also use the Pro balance feature that essentially performs a similar function, except it lowers the priority setting of background applications that start hogging all the threads.

You can even set exclusions for specific applications from these features, such as your games. It should be doing this automatically since its a foreground process, but you can still put in on an exclusion list just to be sure. Both of these features can be accessed in Process Lasso. There is also another application you can use as well called Park Control, which is from the same company that made process lasso. Its an app that allows you to unlock all of your cores and threads using their "Bitsum highest performance" power setting without having to tamper with the registry. Once you install it, just make sure you set the power profile for each game to "bitsum highest performance" in Process Lasso. 

Link: Park Control

Link: What is Pro Balance?

Link: What is Smart Trim?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10