Faulty PSU?

Vinnycall
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
3 hours ago, Vinnycall said:

Hey @jonnyGURU ,

I completely cut the power to the PSU when the computer is turned off during the night. And yes, I also turn my computer on with the button in front.

Ok... Don't do that.

That's not how PC's are meant to work.

There's a +5VSB rail that stays live that energizes your BIOS and memory as long as the PSU is getting power.

The "spark" was from the large rush of power required to charge the bulk capacitor in the PSU since it eventually had to drain from being unplugged.

It probably failed to turn on initially because in-rush protection triggered because there was too much current and it tripped the PSU's built in protection.

G'day everyone reading,

Today, when I wanted to start my computer, there was absolutely no sign of life inside the case. The outlet where the PSU is connected to supplied power normally.

The motherboard light did not turn on and the power switch also refused. After connecting and disconnecting the PSU multiple times it suddenly went on and carried on as usual.
Of course I know this behavior is unusual but anyway, should I be worried and is this the sign of a dieing PSU? Or is this explainable another way?

Thanks for reading/helping a noob,

🆅🅸🅽🅽🆈

2 minutes ago, AMD1234 said:

With me it was the connector that failed. I wiggled it and it worked again. It is now taped in position

The connector looks fine, it just suddenly "popped" back on.

3 hours ago, AMD1234 said:

@Vinnycall That sounds like a loose connector. Try moving the 24pin around

I tried this, did not work unfortunately. When I switched the power switch of the PSU very slowly there was a visible spark inside the PSU and everything went back to normal.

6 hours ago, Vinnycall said:

G'day everyone reading,

Today, when I wanted to start my computer, there was absolutely no sign of life inside the case. The outlet where the PSU is connected to supplied power normally.

The motherboard light did not turn on and the power switch also refused. After connecting and disconnecting the PSU multiple times it suddenly went on and carried on as usual.
Of course I know this behavior is unusual but anyway, should I be worried and is this the sign of a dieing PSU? Or is this explainable another way?

Thanks for reading/helping a noob,

🆅🅸🅽🅽🆈

So this is because the PSU did a latch off for either over temperature, over current or short circuit.

Since the PC was "off" initially, none of these things are possible except for short circuit protection.  But since only +5VSB is live, it would have to be something plugged into the USB or the motherboard itself shorting somewhere.

Of course, I have to ask... When you "start your computer", do you only use the button on the front of the case?  Or do you kill the power to the PSU by flipping the switch on the PSU or one on your wall?

19 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

So this is because the PSU did a latch off for either over temperature, over current or short circuit.

Since the PC was "off" initially, none of these things are possible except for short circuit protection.  But since only +5VSB is live, it would have to be something plugged into the USB or the motherboard itself shorting somewhere.

Of course, I have to ask... When you "start your computer", do you only use the button on the front of the case?  Or do you kill the power to the PSU by flipping the switch on the PSU or one on your wall?

Hey @jonnyGURU ,

I completely cut the power to the PSU when the computer is turned off during the night. And yes, I also turn my computer on with the button in front.

The first time the PC was initially off when the problem occured, the 2nd time however the system was running and it instantly shut down. This is the time I flipped the switch of the PSU a few times and then it sparked, no problems since then.

3 hours ago, Vinnycall said:

Hey @jonnyGURU ,

Ok... Don't do that.

That's not how PC's are meant to work.

There's a +5VSB rail that stays live that energizes your BIOS and memory as long as the PSU is getting power.

The "spark" was from the large rush of power required to charge the bulk capacitor in the PSU since it eventually had to drain from being unplugged.

It probably failed to turn on initially because in-rush protection triggered because there was too much current and it tripped the PSU's built in protection.