Is my cpu bottlenecking my gpu?

DudeWhatTheN

I have an rtx 2070 with a ryzen 7 2700x

I get around 130 fps in fortnite with no effects, low viewing distance and high (not epic) shadows.

It shouldn't be unless you have slow ram and XFR/PBO are disabled

Also, is your OS a clean install, is the BIOS updated, are all drivers up to date?

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

It shouldn't be unless you have slow ram and XFR/PBO are disabled

My ram is 3200 hz

Just now, 5x5 said:

Also, is your OS a clean install, is the BIOS updated, are all drivers up to date?

OS resetted a week ago, bios updated and all drivers up to date

nah fortnite is just a really crappy game, sure the cpu could be bottlenecking the gpu, but it still is a really good processor, i'd say that fortnite is the problem, the game is optimized like ass and overall is a stuttery mess, also what's the resolution

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

Just now, mbntr said:

nah fortnite is just a really crappy game, sure the cpu could be bottlenecking the gpu, but it still is a really good processor, i'd sat that fortnite is the problem, the game is optimized like ass and overall is a stuttert mess

Thank you!

1 minute ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Thank you!

Ryzen 7 2700x is a more than capable CPU for Fortnite. Unless you experince similar issues with other games, I dont think its the processor, rather, it could be due to new "un-optimised" updates.

Hope it helps. 

Cheers! ^ . ^

Just now, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

Ryzen 7 2700x is a more than capable CPU for Fortnite. Unless you experince similar issues with other games, I dont think its the processor, rather, it could be due to new "un-optimised" updates.

Hope it helps. 

Cheers! ^ . ^

Thanks, i read somewhere the first and second generations of amd processors dont run very well with high refresh rate cards so i got a bit worried.

2 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Thanks, i read somewhere the first and second generations of amd processors dont run very well with high refresh rate cards so i got a bit worried.

Thanks, that's something I'll keep in mind. 👍

do you have ram in slots 2 and 4, xmp enabled? what motherboard do you have. some b450 boards have poor power delivery and can't properly boost a 2700x, resulting in reduced performance.

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

do you have ram in slots 2 and 4, xmp enabled? what motherboard do you have. some b450 boards have poor power delivery and can't properly boost a 2700x, resulting in reduced performance.

Yeah, they are in slots 2 and 4 but i don't know if xmp is enabled.

My motherboard is an Aorus X470 Gaming 7, i saw tier A so thats not the problem.

My psu is a cooler master masterwatt 750, is it good?

When i'll boot into the bios i'll tell you if it's enabled and if it works

3 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Yeah, they are in slots 2 and 4 but i don't know if xmp is enabled.

My motherboard is an Aorus X470 Gaming 7, i saw tier A so thats not the problem.

My psu is a cooler master masterwatt 750, is it good?

When i'll boot into the bios i'll tell you if it's enabled and if it works

if xmp is not enabled, enabling it might give you a 10-20% boost in fps

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Thank you, will definetely try this once the online lesson ends.

35 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

No need to worry - the 2700X is among the most powerful processors on the consumer market.

30 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Turns out xmp IS enabled.