Cpu i7 2600k

so i have a i7 2600k and it has an old mother board, can i upgrade my motherboard to a newer version and then buy a newer cpu like an i7 8700k or an i5 9600k or should i just upgrade my gpu to maybe a rtx 2060 or an 1660??? thanks.

3 minutes ago, Duckeee said:

should i just upgrade my gpu to maybe a rtx 2060 or an 1660???

what GPU do you currently have. 

id probably not upgrade the CPU to a 9600k, not all that much of an upgrade, and unless priced right, the 8700k should probably be dropped for a r5 3600. 

39 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

what GPU do you currently have. 

id probably not upgrade the CPU to a 9600k, not all that much of an upgrade, and unless priced right, the 8700k should probably be dropped for a r5 3600. 

i have an rtx 780 my pc is second hand pre-built, looking to upgrade components.

19 minutes ago, Duckeee said:

i have an rtx 780 my pc is second hand pre-built, looking to upgrade components.

pick up a rtx 2060, rx 5600xt or rx 5700, or gtx 1660 super. 

no point in upgrading the CPU just yet, but after this, that would be next to upgrade. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

pick up a rtx 2060, rx 5600xt or rx 5700, or gtx 1660 super. 

no point in upgrading the CPU just yet, but after this, that would be next to upgrade. 

what would the best model of a 1660 be 1660 ti oc etc. or like rtx 2060 should i get a asus, msi or gigabyte and my budget is roughly $750aud

1 minute ago, Duckeee said:

what would the best model of a 1660 be 1660 ti oc etc. or like rtx 2060 should i get a asus, msi or gigabyte and my budget is roughly $750aud

something like this.. 

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/PWcRsY/palit-geforce-gtx-1660-super-6-gb-gamingpro-oc-video-card-ne6166ss18j9-1160a

then save for something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($328.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.00 @ Austin Computers) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($128.70 @ Newegg Australia) 
Total: $595.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 21:13 AEDT+1100

something like this.. 

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/PWcRsY/palit-geforce-gtx-1660-super-6-gb-gamingpro-oc-video-card-ne6166ss18j9-1160a

then save for something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($328.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.00 @ Austin Computers) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($128.70 @ Newegg Australia) 
Total: $595.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 21:13 AEDT+1100

i have an asus Maximus IV GENE-Z board someone said it was an OEM from another post i made about the board so i will only be able to upgrade the gpu atm. 

2 minutes ago, Duckeee said:

i have an asus Maximus IV GENE-Z board someone said it was an OEM from another post i made about the board so i will only be able to upgrade the gpu atm. 

well you dont really have  CPU upgrade path considering that its second gen, and you have a board for that gen. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

well you dont really have  CPU upgrade path considering that its second gen, and you have a board for that gen. 

so i can only upgrade the gpu? if so can i probably buy a new case in the future with a new motherboard and cpu and then just strip my current pc of its parts and then put  them into the newer case? idk what i'm saying anymore.-.

9 minutes ago, Duckeee said:

so i can only upgrade the gpu?

without having to swap the motherboard and ram, yes. 

without having to swap the motherboard and ram, yes. 

so since i have an OEM board its stuck fully inside the pc case.

Just now, Duckeee said:

so since i have an OEM board its stuck fully inside the pc case.

nothing to do with it being an oem board. if it is one at all. 

and the pc case is probably using some standard mounting. 

nothing to do with it being an oem board. if it is one at all. 

and the pc case is probably using some standard mounting. 

so i could remove the motherboard?

16 minutes ago, Duckeee said:

so i could remove the motherboard?

ive got no clue what board you are using. 

but its likely mounted with screws. 

6 hours ago, Duckeee said:

asus Maximus IV GENE-Z

-> Definitely not an OEM board. Quite a nice board actually. You should be able to run Ivy Bridge CPU's too, with a BIOS update. Those really won't be a good value though, you're better off to get into a newer platform if you need to upgrade the CPU.

It's an mATX board, so you should be able to replace it with another mATX. or mITX.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

That's a nice board but the most you can upgrade it with is an Ivy Bridge i7 3770k, I believe.

That requires the latest BIOS update to work.

Yes, you can upgrade to "current gen" (Intel or AMD) but that would require you upgrading the CPU, Motherboard *AND* RAM.  Video card can be changed out anytime.

You would also (95% chance) need to upgrade the ancient power supply in that case, since it probably would not be suited for a modern system.

If you want to go to the red camp, you can get a 3950X (16 core, 32 thread Ryzen) and be set for years, if you wanted to go balls deep, but then you would definitely want a high end X570 motherboard (absolutely NOT low end!!) Asus or Gigabyte Ryzen motherboard.  Asus has the better BIOS and more features.  Gigabyte boards are very well built but their Bios...oh man...  Then when Ryzen 3 comes out (4000 series) it should be a "drop in" replacement.

If you want to remain in the blue camp, I would wait for the NDA to lift on the 10th generation processors and grab one of those, depending on your budget, since they will all have hyperthreading.  The 10700k will be a "super" 9900KS (should be equal to better binned then they were), while the 10900K will be a 10C/20T part.  You also don't want a low end board for these parts either.