M.2 Drive Boot Speed

Magma

I recently rebuilt my PC and installed windows onto a new M.2 drive, I'm noticing my boot speed is around 30 seconds when I remember having an SSD that would get a boot time of 7 seconds, are M.2 drives just slower than a normal SSD? All startup programs are currently disabled.

This is the drive windows is installed on: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pxKcCJ/crucial-p1-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ct1000p1ssd8

My full build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X7dGHB

Heyo, it's boyo here.

14 minutes ago, Magma said:

I recently rebuilt my PC and installed windows onto a new M.2 drive, I'm noticing my boot speed is around 30 seconds when I remember having an SSD that would get a boot time of 7 seconds, are M.2 drives just slower than a normal SSD? All startup programs are currently disabled.

This is the drive windows is installed on: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pxKcCJ/crucial-p1-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ct1000p1ssd8

My full build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X7dGHB

Well 1TB SSD Nvme for 100$..... You get what you pay for....

Read Speed
2000 MB/s
Write Speed
1700 MB/s

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Read Speed
2000 MB/s
Write Speed
1700 MB/s

Makes sense, clearly I still haven't learned to read the full specs on things yet

Heyo, it's boyo here.

Boot speed involves multiple things...optimally you want UEFI/GPT for the fastest boot with a clean OS install. Also, no, NVMe/PCIe drives aren't necessarily faster than SATA for booting.

22 hours ago, Constantin said:

Read Speed
2000 MB/s
Write Speed
1700 MB/s

Okay, and? The P1 wouldn’t provide a noticeable difference in boot times compared to really any other SSD; certainly not an additional 20+ seconds.

To the OP: How full is the drive? When you say you rebuilt the computer, what changes did you make besides the SSD? Did you clone from the old SSD to the new SSD?

As previously stated, installing utilizing UEFI/ GPT is important. Did you previously have fast boot enabled? Is it possible you forgot to enable it after the rebuild?

Boot times can be drastically different on different motherboards; I use an SN750 at work and boot times are significantly slower on the newer Gigabyte motherboard I recently received when compared to the NZXT board I was using, for example. 

1 hour ago, OmniDyne said:

Okay, and? The P1 wouldn’t provide a noticeable difference in boot times compared to really any other SSD; certainly not an additional 20+ seconds.

To the OP: How full is the drive? When you say you rebuilt the computer, what changes did you make besides the SSD? Did you clone from the old SSD to the new SSD?

As previously stated, installing utilizing UEFI/ GPT is important. Did you previously have fast boot enabled? Is it possible you forgot to enable it after the rebuild?

Boot times can be drastically different on different motherboards; I use an SN750 at work and boot times are significantly slower on the newer Gigabyte motherboard I recently received when compared to the NZXT board I was using, for example. 

I changed out the motherboard, cpu, the hard drives, and ssd. I did a clean install of windows and just redownloaded what I needed since a lot of programs on my old drive were broken. The new drives are running in Raid 0, the ssd is seperate. I do have fast boot enabled and set the delay time to 0 seconds.

This is the PC before the upgrades: 

What I have now: 

Heyo, it's boyo here.