Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MksDvl

Motherboard and PCIe case bracket

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys, so this might seem like a noob question, but I can't find the answer on google (french native so maybe I don't formulate it very good).

 

I bought a Corsair 280x case and with my motherboard (Asus b450 pro gaming) my GPU will fit in the 2nd case bracket. I will likely return it for one that the GPU will fit in the 1st bracket, but how do I know it will? Is there any specs that tells it?

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MksDvl said:

Hi guys, so this might seem like a noob question, but I can't find the answer on google (french native so maybe I don't formulate it very good).

 

I bought a Corsair 280x case and with my motherboard (Asus b450 pro gaming) my GPU will fit in the 2nd case bracket. I will likely return it for one that the GPU will fit in the 1st bracket, but how do I know it will? Is there any specs that tells it?

 

Thanks

 

Yes, the graphics card will use up the 2nd and 3rd PCI-E expansion slots on the 280X.

The 1st slot is where the M.2 slot on the motherboard is, and will remain unused.

That is fine, considering 90% of all 2017+ made motherboards are like this.

Corsair, along with other case manufacturers already had this in mind when designing their cases.

 

Here is my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master motherboard...1st slot is unused as well.

 

IMG_20200401_170309.jpg


Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

  • i7-8086K -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (+ 1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe)
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

  • Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

  • FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

 

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

 

Yes, the graphics card will use up the 2nd and 3rd PCI-E expansion slots on the 280X.

The 1st slot is where the M.2 slot on the motherboard is, and will remain unused.

That is fine, considering 90% of all 2017+ made motherboards are like this.

Corsair, along with other case manufacturers already had this in mind when designing their cases.

 

Here is my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master motherboard...1st slot is unused as well.

 

IMG_20200401_170309.jpg

hanks. I guess I'll keep it then. Maybe use a short riser cable if I need clearance for the fans?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MksDvl said:

Thanks. I guess I'll keep it then. Maybe use a short riser cable if I need clearance for the fans?

 

Should not be a problem.

You still have a lot of space between the bottom of the case, and graphics card.

 

Oh also, did you buy the ASUS B450M-PRO GAMING motherboard, or the non-M version?

280X is a mATX case, so you need the 'M' version motherboard.

Standard motherboard is 7 expansion slots long, while mATX is 4 slots long.


Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

  • i7-8086K -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (+ 1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe)
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

  • Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

  • FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

 

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

 

Should not be a problem.

You still have a lot of space between the bottom of the case, and graphics card.

 

Oh also, did you buy the ASUS B450M-PRO GAMING motherboard, or the non-M version?

280X is a mATX case, so you need the 'M' version motherboard.

Standard motherboard is 7 expansion slots long, while mATX is 4 slots long.

The M version! Thanks for the help. Now waiting another month for the 2070 Super Founders Edition to be back in stock. They sold out in like 5 mins today...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×